News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

... followed by an in-depth discussion on the merits of the site chosen for the establishment of the Swan River Colony.

Governor Stirling was required to select a site for the main settlement to be out of the range of naval bombardment. Hence Fremantle was the port only and the main city was built further upstream, further protected from the sea by a big hill. Unfortunately by the end of the century with the development of the big gun battleship the location was probably well within reach.

:)

*runs away*

Governor Stirling was required to select a site for the main settlement to be out of the range of naval bombardment. Hence Fremantle was the port only and the main city was built further upstream, further protected from the sea by a big hill. Unfortunately by the end of the century with the development of the big gun battleship the location was probably well within reach.

*runs away*
Are you a real Admiral?

And at the sake of starting further debate (and being howled down for it), I always thought a good alternate location was the old Perth Market site which stayed empty for years until Harbourtown was built.

I believe the owners, ANZ offerred a land swap for Subiaco.
Detractors will say that the land size was on the small size.
For the cost of the indoor stadium we could have it built by now.
Subiaco is remaining under lease to football?.

*runs away*

Hit the decks a-running, boys, and spin those guns around.
On her deck were guns as big as steers and shells as big as trees.

Last edited:
Yeah they're expecting both Midland and Fremantle line passengers to walk to East Perth.

http://www.perthstadium.com.au/project-design/transport/getting-to-from-the-new-perth-stadium

By train
Dedicated train services will move majority of a full capacity crowd within an hour of an event finishing at the new Perth Stadium.

The new six-platform Stadium Station will allow one train to depart approximately every two minutes.

East Perth Station will also be upgraded to accommodate 7,500 people who will walk to the station for Midland and Fremantle line services.​

Surely they'd run football specific trains on the Fremantle line that will run straight through to Belmont Park? Especially given they expect around 3 times the number of people to get the train to the new stadium as currently do to Subiaco.

Surely they'd run football specific trains on the Fremantle line that will run straight through to Belmont Park? Especially given they expect around 3 times the number of people to get the train to the new stadium as currently do to Subiaco.
train-lines-to-the-new-perth-stadium.jpg

fact-sheet-how-do-i-get-to-events-at-the-new-perth-stadium.jpg

That's what these images seem to suggest, that there will be a direct line to Fremantle from the Stadium Station. But the images are old and maybe they've changed the plan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what these images seem to suggest, that there will be a direct line to Fremantle from the Stadium Station. But the images are old and maybe they've changed the plan

Fremantle line trains can simply switch to the Armadale line after Perth station (or before it as well probably). They wouldn't need any specific platform at stadium station. Although it would help to get people out faster at the end of the game.

I do lol at those projections though. 8000 people on buses! You could pay each person $20 a trip and you wouldn't get half that number.

That's how I understood it too. For those that want to go directly to/from the stadium on the Freo and Joondulup lines, football special trains will run up to City West/Leederville and then run non-stop through the CBD directly into the new stadium station. meanwhile for those who want to linger in around Perth/Nortbridge before or after the game, and the second changers, there will be lots of direct trains between Perth Central and the stadium.

I remember when the Farmer fwy was going to be built there was still a lot of people complaining about that it was going to be a waste of money :drunk:
Just like that gosh darn entertainment centre! Ugly and expensive!

Even though it's the best indoor stadium in the country by a mile. I don't think people realise Rod Laver is basically a bigger Challenge Stadium – old, bad, ugly 80s architecture and no charm of itself (although RLA is good enough and has the history to pull it off).

Every line should have football specials that don't stop in the city.

It would be nice, but the rails aren't laid out that way. The Mandurah line can't do a "right turn" onto the Armadale line. The Midland Line can on join the Armadale line on the way into Perth, it can't do a "left turn".

It would be nice, but the rails aren't laid out that way. The Mandurah line can't do a "right turn" onto the Armadale line. The Midland Line can on join the Armadale line on the way into Perth, it can't do a "left turn".
The can swap tracks at East Perth interchange though. Train could come from burswood to east Perth and get onto the midland line without going into Perth.

Construction would take longer away from Burswood. A golf course doesn't have the "no trucks anywhere near the site before 7am" rule. So nothing can be delivered until about 7:30am and then all wrapped up by 4:45pm.

Everyone up North already changes lines to get to Subiaco or walks from Leedy, whoop-de-do.

Honestly with the new Perth -> Perth underground connection it wont be much of an issue anyway.

I'm just glad it's at Burswood and they've demolished the golf course, that 11th hole was my Kryptonite.

Just like that gosh darn entertainment centre! Ugly and expensive!

Even though it's the best indoor stadium in the country by a mile. I don't think people realise Rod Laver is basically a bigger Challenge Stadium – old, bad, ugly 80s architecture and no charm of itself (although RLA is good enough and has the history to pull it off).

You'd think any complaints about that are going to end up seeming so misguided, great for concerts, everyone seems to rave about it for the Wildcats, retractable roof for the tennis, access & facilities seem well set out and it maintains the great central location of the old PEC... cost aside (which always blow out, the bigger question is value and this should last long enough) what more did people want?

Watching the Asian cup got me thinking, are there plans for seating on the round for rectangular pitches? It's going to be used for international football and rugby for the foreseeable future and would love to get away from the Subiaco experience of being so far removed from the games.

You make some good points but as usual there's some overkill to discredit logical argument..

Distance Lathlain is one extra stop? So no real difference.
Lathlain already has an oval , already has road dispersion and social infrastructure.
Lathlian is a much cheaper construction cost.
Lathlain would benefit much better than East Perth would .

I shouldn't bite... but i can't ignore this shizen no more! Disregard my "south of Freo" location on the profile... I moved to Lathlain three years ago. Lathlain is two extra stops and a world away from the Burswood site.

There are only two streets that disperse traffic from my patch... sleepy Goddard St which currently has about 1 car every minute (apart from school pick up) and the mighty Roberts rd... a single lane rd connecting Orrong rd over the rail line (Millers Crossing) to the Shepperton rd traffic lights thru to the Albany hwy / Kent st "peanut" roundabout. Bishopgate St takes you nowhere but Carslisle. Vic Park train station is shoehorned between residential properties and the Blind Association HQ...probably why WCE chose to move there.

Social Infrastructure?... apart from my Man Cave there is "The Kettle Cafe" and the "Green Bean" but you must hate meat at either of those establishments. Fortunately a butcher has opened up in a 20 year vacated shop on Gallipoli st to balance the equation somewhat.

Construction Costs? Sure Burswood requires deep piling due to the proximity to the river but as a builder i could highlight a number of hidden costs you may not have considered with Lathlain Park... if i could be bothered with the detail.

"Lathlain would benefit much better..." WTF? it is 99% residential. i am sure my neighbours and I could score cash renting our verges and driveways each weekend... my rate would be $50 per WCE home game & $20 Freo for the six cars i could slot around my plot. $100 to use the bog regardless of who you follow.

Love living in the 'lain... dreading the arrival of the new tenants down at the oval tho. Keep thinking of things i can do to purple up their new digs. Does anyone know where i can get kondy's crystals by the tonne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back