Super Blues Weekend - Friday 20 February from 4pm & Saturday 21 February from 9.45am

Remove this Banner Ad

To be even fairer on Watson, 4 of Westhoff's 5 goals were kicked when he was playing on Everitt, something which I have pointed out on several occasions on this board.
but you can't let facts get in the way of someone else's biased opinion of a player

Anyone at the game able to comment on how Curnow, Everitt, Dick and Johnson played? Seems like no-one has mentioned them in any of the write-ups so far?

To be even fairer on Watson, 4 of Westhoff's 5 goals were kicked when he was playing on Everitt, something which I have pointed out on several occasions on this board.

I'm no Watson basher, quite the opposite, but he had a bit of a shocker that night regardless and an even worse one against the Hawks. Just don't think he is agile enough to play in defence. Up forward those deficiencies aren't such a big deal.

I'm no Watson basher, quite the opposite, but he had a bit of a shocker that night regardless and an even worse one against the Hawks. Just don't think he is agile enough to play in defence. Up forward those deficiencies aren't such a big deal.

Fan opinion aside MM himself dropped Watson right after those games. He got switched on to O'Brien and Butcher who were both medicore KPP in 2014 and he looked out of his depth. It's up to him to make it as a forward now if he wants to last beyond 2015.

A few thoughts on the intra-club (only saw the first half):
- Was impressed with Everitt, seems to get forgotten after his absence from the second half of last year. Knows where to run to and uses his height to advantage.
- Really liked what I saw from Boekhorst. Featured in a great passage of play, laying a strong tackle and pin pointing Watson (I think..) in the forward 50.
- Clem is god.
- At one stage Cripps faced Wood at a ruck contest.
- Tutt played very well. Used his speed and neat kicking from half-forward.
- Jaksch isn't quite ready.
- Rainbow took a solid contested mark against the opposition. Looks to be a composed and tough player.

Not sure if he would have got 6 on Jammo? However, he's obviously now playing with real confidence and has continued on from where he left off in the Essendon* game! A great good news story as there were times last year when I seriously thought he might be gone - confidence looked completely shot and just seemed too slow and reactive down back. This guy can seriously kick a ball - not since Fev have we had a forward who you would back outside 50m. Looking good...
the best bit is Watson wont get a Jammo type as a forward. if he gets the 2nd or 3rd best defender & gets 1 kick a quarter anywhere out to about 60mtr thats 2-4 goals a game. if he can manage that then his boot is deserving of the next "woof" !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have bacon, i give a bakin'

thylacine60 where were you yesterday? Had a looksy on the wing to no avail.
You know damn well I was there. What happened to us Zee? We used to talk.

I must admit I don't believe I saw KJ rack em up but when he did have it he looked class
One of KJ's greatest strengths is his field kicking. Can play that tall quarterback roll if needed. He'll be a ripper IMO.

Loved what I heard Giles say to the commentator.

Commentator "Clem Smith looks like the type of player that can run 80 meters and kick a goal"

Giles " that's exactly what he did in the last intra club"

"Took the ball from the back line ran along the wing and finished with a goal"
I think Mebby has found new favourite player now.

Someone earlier expressed frustration not enough chat about DVR

He mightn't have racked up 30 touches, but that's to be expected given it is his first pre season

But what's more important, and what we should look for rather than number of touches, is his usage , which was excellent

He also appeared to be very competitive with a level head

Geez I don't want to go too early, and this is mighty early, but the 2014 draft might go down as one of our best

All of our first three picks look like they can play

He mightn't have racked up 30 touches, but that's to be expected given it is his first pre season

But what's more important, and what we should look for rather than number of touches, is his usage , which was excellent

Geez I don't want to go too early, and this is mighty early, but the 2014 draft might go down as one of our best

Inclined to agree, but really only expecting a few cameos this year from 2014 draft recruits - though BB and Clem may just surprise and play half-a-dozen games or more. Expecting Docherty, Bell (if he can improve his disposal efficiency he could be a star), Buckley, Graham, Cripps, Whiley and Jones to make real impact.

Last edited:

They can play and one can argue all three could fit into our starting squad from a needs perspective.

Boekhorst is the obvious one being the senior of the players and our immediate need for outside speed.
Smith can play at either end of the ground as also has something most others don't.
DVR may though be the last to be used from a needs perspective but all we need is a couple of injuries and who knows?

All three are also courageous and determined which will only complement their individual skill-sets. Not a project player to be seen :)

I personally think they will play it smart and only give games where they are deserved. They will sprinkle some youth through but largely it will be the players who are body ready that will get the gig. I am looking forward to seeing blokes like Bell, Docherty, Cripps, Buckley and Graham that get first shot at it. No need to rush the young blokes, let's develop them first.

Just something else came to mind on Friday and that was that the whole squad seemed to understand what they were doing even with the non-Carlton listed players involved.........which I found particularly interesting.

Wonder whether we're finally getting somewhere in setting to implement the same structures, ideas etc into the Northern Blues squad, which then allows for a somewhat more seamless transition between the two.

It wasn't perfect on Friday but the general movement of players around the ground and covering areas, seemed to be similar across the board.

They can play and one can argue all three could fit into our starting squad from a needs perspective.

Boekhorst is the obvious one being the senior of the players and our immediate need for outside speed.
Smith can play at either end of the ground as also has something most others don't.
DVR may though be the last to be used from a needs perspective but all we need is a couple of injuries and who knows?

All three are also courageous and determined which will only complement their individual skill-sets. Not a project player to be seen :)

Agree. Not overly worried if Yarran misses games due to injury because Smith is an ideal replacement (like a cross between Yarran and Bell). Not overly worried if someone like Docherty misses games due to injury because DVR would be a decent replacement. Boekhorst stands a bit more on his own in terms of playing style and is likely to get the most game time of the new recruits with maybe the exception of Jones and/or Whiley. Not only a lot more depth, but quality depth at that - next several years are looking good - no doubt, a sustained period higher up the ladder beckons starting from this year!!

I personally think they will play it smart and only give games where they are deserved. They will sprinkle some youth through but largely it will be the players who are body ready that will get the gig. I am looking forward to seeing blokes like Bell, Docherty, Cripps, Buckley and Graham that get first shot at it. No need to rush the young blokes, let's develop them first.

Which is correct of course but who'd be surprised should Boekhorst and Smith play round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back