Unofficial Preview The "2015 positives" thread for Fair & Balanced posters ONLY

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see Darcy getting games but a little hard to expect him to hold down CHF.

I'm looking forward to continued development in Grundy/Witts. Our midfield now has three tough nuts (JT, Adams, Greenwood) and I actually think this will improve us in the middle this season. Kennedy/Broomhead into the side from round 1 and only out of it if they get injured. Reid/Brown actually getting onto the park for full seasons would be really nice aswell.

We'll get to see what Crisp offers and I expect he'll get his chance... alot with Nathan Freeman. Freeman will add some much needed speed IF he gets fit.

Frost/Keeffe/Langdon were all pretty impressive last season and will all get chances in 2015.

However, heading back to my first point and I'm mostly looking forward to Jarrod Witts entering the top bracket of ruckman this season. I was so impressed with him last year and believe now he'll take the next step this year... all the ******* haters will be left with egg on their face.

1404120868355.jpg-300x0.jpg

A dominant force in the ruck for ten years starting in 2015.
I think to add in that mix with height and goalkicking sense is also Karnezis. if he or Crisp both around 190Cm. can grasp their opportunity they can be real good HFF. and alternate with say Pendles when he needs a rest.

This year, we started with a good set of key position players, but never got them on the field together. Cloke, Reid, Frost, Brown and Keeffe should all be fit next year, and thus the line down the centre of the ground is well manned, as we thought it would be this year. We have lost nothing in this part of the team, and should expect a better result from them next year.
In the middle, we have lost Ball and Beams. The former was at the end, but the latter is a major loss. We have proven players in Pendlebury, Sidebottom, a presumably fit Swan, Greenwood and Adams. Looking like good players, we have Broomhead, Thomas and Fasolo. I expect big things from the first, solid work from the second, and I worry about the third. This does not appear to be enough in the middle. Young and Varcoe on the wings look OK.
Non key forwards Elliott and Blair can be relied upon to do their jobs, with the former set to be a star. I rate him ahead of the much hyped Wingard. We are scratching after that, with no proven performers in the big or small pockets. The resting ruck will be very important, and if it is White, he will simply have to mark better. Sadly, at his age, this is not likely. It will have to be Witts/Grundy. I'm very optimistic for them.
The two big young rucks I expect to continue to increase their game influence, and they were not bad this year. We will be a better rucking side next year.
The flanking defenders, who may lose Williams to the midfield, have the ability to do well. Toovey coming back to form, Langdon continuing his rise have two spots covered, and perhaps Williams a third. I don't see who will fill the hole left by Maxwell. Goldsack can play the part, but I don't see as the controller. Someone will have to step up.
All in all then, it looks OK if the midfielders all meet expectations. That is quite a big ask, but the first half of last year was unexpectedly good with an appalling injury count, which will hopefully not be repeated.
The loss we have experienced from a couple of years ago is in the attacking half backs. Shaw and Lamumba, with their willingness to attack the forwards and run away from them have not been replaced in any meaningful way, and this is the crucial weakness in our current team.

Positives? - all the posters on this thread. Good on you- I tend to ignore the negativity but when the whole board is full of it, my whole BF experience is tarnished.

Personally I'm looking forward to the development of Gault - he'll never be the number one fwd but he could be that ruck/fwd that we've been missing (and the reason we chased Mitch Clark)

Definitely could pressure White for that 3rd tall - relief ruck position in 2015.

At the back end of the 2014 season, I was getting quite excited by the development of Marsh in the VFL. From memory, he was named an emergency for a couple of senior games too. Then he did his hamstring. He's the guy, more than any, that I'm most keen to see in 2015. Question is, how bad was the hamstring injury? Off the bone bad, or will he be right for pre-season?

At the back end of the 2014 season, I was getting quite excited by the development of Marsh in the VFL. From memory, he was named an emergency for a couple of senior games too. Then he did his hamstring. He's the guy, more than any, that I'm most keen to see in 2015. Question is, how bad was the hamstring injury? Off the bone bad, or will he be right for pre-season?

Yep, Marsh would have played a few games no doubt about that.

Was dominating in the VFL game against Essendon. Won every contest and provided run and dash. In the contest where he did his hammy, I backed Marsh in. Thought, he'll win this contest easily then he had that awful injury, hopefully his rehab is going well.

Posted this over on Nicks just as an exercise on where we're at in 2015. Don't get too fussed about positions.

40+ Games
B: Toovey Brown Sinclair
HB: Young Keeffe Fasolo
C: Varcoe Greenwood Sidebottom
HF: Goldsack Cloke Swan
F: Blair Reid Elliott
R: White Pendlebury Adams
I/C: _____ _____ _____ _____
Unavail: Macaffer

<40 Games
B: Williams Frost Langdon
HB: Ramsay Marsh Oxley
C: Freeman Dwyer Seedsman
HF: Moore Gault Broomhead
F: Grundy Karnezis Crisp
R: Witts Thomas Kennedy
I/C: Armstrong Cox Pick5 Pick30 Pick48
Unavail: Scharenberg

A total of 19 players in the squad with more than 40 games experience and only 9 with 100+, and Sinclair, Keeffe, Adams in the 40-50 range.

To me, that's the most exciting thing going into 2015, being able to watch this group develop into a top line footy side.

Freeman really excites me. I'll be honest and say that I wasn't too keen when he was drafted, but he is built like a brick shithouse. We have been out muscled and out bodied in the midfield contest since the 2011 GF, here's hoping Freeman changes up that dynamic. If he were to be a bulky crash and bash version of Shuey, I'd be very pleased.

Sidebottom the full time midfielder instead of Sidebottom the wingman also excites me. If we get Varcoe, Seedsman and Broomhead on the outside as runners, we might finally see Sidebottom continue his work in early 2012 and become the player we all hoped he could be.

Buckley obviously wants to develop a new run and carry game-plan. One of the key elements of run and carry is speedy players. While we've previously been thought of having a slow list, over the next few years we can develop the fastest list in the AFL. Looking at best 22 candidates (excluding KPP), Marsh, Freeman, Varco, Toovey, Williams, Kennedy, are all genuinely superfast by AFL standards (so is Swan- but he will only be there a year or two). Most of our other midfield/flankers while not superfast are either speedy ie. above average (eg. Broomhead, Karnezis, Elliot, Langdon) or reasonably paced (eg. Scharenberg, Pendlebury, Greenwood ). The only slow ones I can think of are Sidebottom and Fasolo.

However, having a large number of speedy players is not sufficient for a run and carry some of the other elements needed are -
  1. Good hands- given a chain of handballs, it only takes one fumble to ruin the whole chain. Too many times this year I've seen our run and carry ruined by a bungled handpass or fumbled receive. I hope that our skills training can iron most of this fumbling out.
  2. A core of insiders who can get it out to the runners. They do not all have to be highly skilled or speedy (though its nice if they are eg. Pendles) as long as they can clear it cleanly to the runners. Thus I'm not overly bothered by the loss of beams. Beams can be looked at as having both inside and finishing skills. Greenwood and others will at least compensate for his inside skills. If Varco, Broomhead, Elliot, Freeman, Karnezis, Seedsman can step up (and Young remain uninjured) then the improvement in our outside run and finishing will more than compensate for the loss of Beams finishing skills.
  3. Cohesion - players need to know when and where to run to to receive a handpass and when and where to run to so as to be in a position to receive at the end of a run and carry chain. This cohesion will reduce some of the fumbling outlined in point 1. This develops with practice and knowledge of how your teammates behave. The extra year of knowing each other will improve this.
  4. Balance - If you have too many talls, even if most other players are fast, it can create a top-heavy team. In the Forward line, Swans have Tippet and Franklin (Goodes is not a Kpp), Geelong have Hawkins, Hawks have Roughead and a rotating ruck (2 - Gunston is not a KPP), Port have Schulz (Westhoff runs all over the ground), Freo have Pavlich. We have three plus sometimes 2 rucks - while it gives us more big targets, it also reduces mobility and makes it too easy to run the ball out. I think 2 KPP's (or 1 Kpp- Cloke, and a rotating ruck Witts/Grundy) and a third mobile utility would be more balanced. A scharenberg type would be ideal. Similarly in defense, the standard for the successful teams is 2 Kpp's with at least one of them being mobile. For that reason I would only have 2 KPD's - Reid and one of Frost/Brown/Keefe.

I keep forgetting that we have Moore who was bidded on with a 4th pick, so essentially getting 2 top 5 picks.

Only teams that have got that in recent times are Melbourne and the developement clubs.
Not to mention we've had 7 first round picks in 3 years (including this year). Surely that's more than anyone bar GWS

Edit: not bad for a team coming off 8 consecutive years of finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very keen on Marsh and getting Freeman going.

I think from memory is was pretty clean as far as tendons coming away from the bone, would need to check.

I came in here to say Scharenberg... but didn't know he did his ACL :(

I think the positives are there in your youngsters. I really rate Seedsman, manfully tried to do a role down back when you guys had your injury crisis but he has silky skills and is damaging moving forward. Hopefully his decision making has improved. I also like what I see from Frost, Langdon and Keefe down back. Frost looks so slow, but he always seems to be in good positions, or reading plays well to take on the dangerous player.

There's always a silver lining. Fingers crossed the injury bug stays away!

Not to mention we've had 7 first round picks in 3 years (including this year). Surely that's more than anyone bar GWS

Edit: not bad for a team coming off 8 consecutive years of finals

+ Adams who was a 1st round pick.

So I went through our list and pulled out who we will have next year that were taken as first rounders (Ive probably missed someone no doubt...)

Anyway, we will have 15 first round selections on our list. Not too shabby, and this isnt counting our Brownlow medalist and awesome father/son forward. I think as well if last years draft was redone, Langdon would have probably have gone round 1, and Witts is probably a round 1 type selection as well.

I wonder how this stacks up with other teams...

2014 - Moore, Pick 5

2013 - Scharenberg, Freeman

2012 - Grundy, Kennedy, Broomhead

2011 - Adams, Elliot (pick 25 trade)

2010 - Karnezis

2009 - NA

2008 - Sidebottom

2007 - NA

2006 - Reid, Brown

2005 - Pendles, Varcoe

Last edited:
What's even more noticible is the shift in strategy when you look at them in the year they were taken.

2014 - Moore, Pick 5, Varcoe (2005)
2013 - Scharenberg, Freeman, Karnezis (2010), Adams (2011)
2011 - Elliot (& Clarke pick 25 trade)
2010 - NA
2009 - NA
2008 - Sidebottom
2007 - NA
2006 - Reid, Brown
2005 - Pendles

We made clear strategic decisions to trade away 1st round picks in 2007 (Wood), 2009 (Jolly), and 2010 (Krakouer/Ceglar). That's 11 1st round picks added since Bucks has taken over.

Could be argued that Elliott, Broomhead and Kennedy are technically 2nd round picks by virtue of where they were taken.

What's even more noticible is the shift in strategy when you look at them in the year they were taken.

2014 - Moore, Pick 5, Varcoe (2005)
2013 - Scharenberg, Freeman, Karnezis (2010), Adams (2011)
2011 - Elliot (& Clarke pick 25 trade)
2010 - NA
2009 - NA
2008 - Sidebottom
2007 - NA
2006 - Reid, Brown
2005 - Pendles

We made clear strategic decisions to trade away 1st round picks in 2007 (Wood), 2009 (Jolly), and 2010 (Krakouer/Ceglar). That's 11 1st round picks added since Bucks has taken over.

Could be argued that Elliott, Broomhead and Kennedy are technically 2nd round picks by virtue of where they were taken.

Wasn't Kennedy taken straight after Grundy in round one that year Daz?

Wasn't Kennedy taken straight after Grundy in round one that year Daz?

Yep... at pick 19 which in 2012 was round 1... BUT take all the compo picks and crap out and pick 19 is round 2-pick 1...

Same for Broomhead and Elliott picks.

Buckley obviously wants to develop a new run and carry game-plan. One of the key elements of run and carry is speedy players. While we've previously been thought of having a slow list, over the next few years we can develop the fastest list in the AFL. Looking at best 22 candidates (excluding KPP), Marsh, Freeman, Varco, Toovey, Williams, Kennedy, are all genuinely superfast by AFL standards (so is Swan- but he will only be there a year or two). Most of our other midfield/flankers while not superfast are either speedy ie. above average (eg. Broomhead, Karnezis, Elliot, Langdon) or reasonably paced (eg. Scharenberg, Pendlebury, Greenwood ). The only slow ones I can think of are Sidebottom and Fasolo.

However, having a large number of speedy players is not sufficient for a run and carry some of the other elements needed are -
  1. Good hands- given a chain of handballs, it only takes one fumble to ruin the whole chain. Too many times this year I've seen our run and carry ruined by a bungled handpass or fumbled receive. I hope that our skills training can iron most of this fumbling out.
  2. A core of insiders who can get it out to the runners. They do not all have to be highly skilled or speedy (though its nice if they are eg. Pendles) as long as they can clear it cleanly to the runners. Thus I'm not overly bothered by the loss of beams. Beams can be looked at as having both inside and finishing skills. Greenwood and others will at least compensate for his inside skills. If Varco, Broomhead, Elliot, Freeman, Karnezis, Seedsman can step up (and Young remain uninjured) then the improvement in our outside run and finishing will more than compensate for the loss of Beams finishing skills.
  3. Cohesion - players need to know when and where to run to to receive a handpass and when and where to run to so as to be in a position to receive at the end of a run and carry chain. This cohesion will reduce some of the fumbling outlined in point 1. This develops with practice and knowledge of how your teammates behave. The extra year of knowing each other will improve this.
  4. Balance - If you have too many talls, even if most other players are fast, it can create a top-heavy team. In the Forward line, Swans have Tippet and Franklin (Goodes is not a Kpp), Geelong have Hawkins, Hawks have Roughead and a rotating ruck (2 - Gunston is not a KPP), Port have Schulz (Westhoff runs all over the ground), Freo have Pavlich. We have three plus sometimes 2 rucks - while it gives us more big targets, it also reduces mobility and makes it too easy to run the ball out. I think 2 KPP's (or 1 Kpp- Cloke, and a rotating ruck Witts/Grundy) and a third mobile utility would be more balanced. A scharenberg type would be ideal. Similarly in defense, the standard for the successful teams is 2 Kpp's with at least one of them being mobile. For that reason I would only have 2 KPD's - Reid and one of Frost/Brown/Keefe.

nice write-up. thanks
Would like to add one more key attribute. Accurate goal-kicking. Converting shots for goal is the best way of minimising run-ons and reduces the amount of full-ground defending we have to do

We get so caught up in the now now now that sometimes you forget how young we are and how we've got 8 or 9 1st round picks plus some other talented kids.

We won't be truly able to judge this for another 5 years, and Bucks may not be around to see that through, either way. Schazza Freeman, Grundy, Broomy, Kennedy, Adams, Moore, #5 is pretty handy in 3 years. Outside of the franchise clubs you'd be hard pressed to find a club in a better position going forward. Perhaps the Dogs, but they haven't got the here and now guns that we do anymore, so it's a false economy when comparing.

If you add Elliott, Fasolo, Williams, Langdon, Frost, Witts, Thomas, Sinclair, Keeffee, Karnezis and a bucketload of others being under 24 it's pretty amazing how young we are.

Not to mention Sidebottom Blair Reid Brown who are around the 25 mark with years of footy left.

Drafting first round picks was an absolute necessity. I look at Port and they have most of their team first rounders. They've made some astute choices down the draft but thats only a couple of players. I know people will point to Hawthorn and Sydney but the Hawks have got a core of first rounders like Hodge Lewis Roughie etc. a decade or more back. Sydney is a little different because it tends to buy them in, or gain them through the NSW scholarship thing. The Hawks core has served them well for the last decade. We tend to forget the period that they offloaded Trent Croad, Jonathon Hay and a heap of others like the boys that went to Sydney. In return Hawthorn got access to high draft picks and it put them in the driver's seat for the following decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back