Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Good read Pure_Ownage. Agree with Bobby above very enjoyable poster to read and never skim over what you say.

That 94 PF whilst too young to watch live I have viewed it a few times.

One Dennis Cometti quote sticks in my head.

"there is no justice in football, that is the look on the face of Michael Martyn. The master all day and this game will be remembered for this kick"

Always serves as a reminder as to how cruel and tough this game can be at times.

Probably the best poster on this entire site and that's saying something as there is a heap of quality posters.

Always gives interesting in depth analysis in a way which seems as though he's on the inside somehow.
Agree.
Last year, I think he dropped off a little in number of posts for whatever reason, and it was noted. Possibly hard to maintain the Teriyaki like output!
Every post is so rational and logical and factual. And personable.

I've found a flaw in the interviews mate. Sorry.
You updated the thread as you loaded a new interview.

But you didnt start the convo with " this week xxx"

As I missed 3 months I thought I'd go back and read them.
And I have no idea who you're talking to.

although on a few occasions you do....

I've found a flaw in the interviews mate. Sorry.
You updated the thread as you loaded a new interview.

But you didnt start the convo with " this week xxx"

As I missed 3 months I thought I'd go back and read them.
And I have no idea who you're talking to.

although on a few occasions you do....
I always named the poster in the post before.... didn't I?

EDIT: do you mean from the quick link? Cos i didnt there... I always did an introductory post and then posted the interview next post

I always named the poster in the post before.... didn't I?
lol. After I posted that I went looking again.
You did a post before THE post. My apologies.
Shoot me.

lol. After I posted that I went looking again.
You did a post before THE post. My apologies.
Shoot me.
Stop trying to pick holes in perfection mate ;)

Welcome friends and BF comrades to the Final Final Inquisition

Willo has finished his off-season series of Inquisitions with Pure_Ownage ( and fine final subject he was) … I'm sure we all applauded his efforts , but it seemed to few of us that there may be one inquisition that was missing. While it may have been Willo’s final Inquisition in the role of inquisitor , its not “the” final Inquisition. In truth the series wouldn’t really be complete till the tables were turned.

Yes thats right , its time for Willo to feel the heat. So good at bringing the tough questions , how does he handle it when he is not the Q but is instead the A? Lets find out. It time to turn the desk lamp around and lets some of that warm glare be in the Inquisitors eyes for a while…

So sit back and read about his views on a range of subjects including.. his feelings on a turncoat ex Captain , who will be our best player in 2 years’ time and the one thing he would change to make our club even better.

Read on ……

Lets return serve , the same you asked me Football and Geelong ... what got you into it/them. Why footy rather than some other sport? Why Geelong rather than some other club?

I grew up in the country and Footy in the winter/cricket in the summer were the way everyone went. I think I got interested in it from watching the older kids at school play at lunch time when I was about 6 or 7, the rules at our school where you couldn't join into the actual games until grade 3... i was shattered when the school comp fell apart and vanished the year I finally got to grade 3.

I got taken to footy training when I was 9 turning 10 for the local under 14 team and have been hooked ever since.

As for the cats the story goes that Dad went and brought me a Geelong jumper the day I was born, in his words he 'created a monster'

I can't remember knowing any different than following the Cats.

9 or 10 , playing u14's.... tough way to start. What position did they put you as a Pocket or Wing?

Forward pocket, and my first year I only got a game when we were playing at home.

I remember being absolutely stoked when I touched the ball and got a handball one game haha

Yeah kids just want to touch it don't they, even better if the kick a goal. Down the track when you got older , did you continue being a forward or did you move elsewhere. I ask this as a kid that was always a backline player , I certainly thought that playing forward was the end where they had more fun , and I think this has affected the way I look at the game even today. Then when I did get a go forward I found it was not all glory and silver service.

So did you play the game long and what position/role did you play?

I played 5 years of under 14s... pretty much forward pocket/half forward. I was a pretty average footballer as a kid (well not just as a kid). Then I stopped playing for some reason until I decided to put my hand up to play to play 2s when I was about 20. For a few years I was pretty much off and on the bench and basically a forward pocket/flanker again.

Then one year we had a really wet year,the grounds were all rubbish and we struggled for players the 2nd half of the year. I was never quick and are just average height but I see the ball and will go for it, playing in the wet and mud I was just throwing myself into packs and scraps and getting my hands on it all of a sudden. Started to get more game time, finished the year well, hit pre-season hard and actually got fit.

So the next season all of a sudden I was in the leadership group and playing every minute every week... but moved to the back line where I was much more comfortable. I enjoyed playing on someone and completely shutting them out of the game. I think I finished top 6 in the B&F that year, so was loving it.

Hit the next pre-season super hard.. got as fit as I'd ever been, then tore cartilage in my knee 1st practice match, worked hard to get back and broke my hand 1st quarter of my 2nd game back, missed another 5 weeks and then cracked a bloody rib first game back.

Cracked the shits and stopped playing then, until a couple of years back i was living in Melbourne and a mate got me to go play with him at Albert Park in the ammos, went pretty well playing initially in the centre, then down back and then getting the job on the oppositions top small forward and also taking the kick ins.... even cracked the seniors for a game.. but made the decision to pull the pin at the end of the year after seeing the stress on missus when she had to come get me from the Alfred with a bunch of stitches in my head one Saturday arvo with just a few weeks to go in the season. So missed a game then played the last 2 games for that season and was done.... apart from sneaking in a practice match the following year when they were short.

Also I wanted to add that I managed to kick a goal with my last ever kick... twice.

Last game during the season with Albert Park I managed a goal in the last 20 seconds of the game, planned on finishing up so was happy to go out with that at least. Played a practice match the next year as mentioned and in the last few minutes managed a goal that game as well (whilst playing back pocket on both occasions)

So you played more than a bit and in a few different roles. Any coaching? Kids , Seniors?

I was a limited sportsman , no matter the sport I was average. It was all about effort rather than talent , skill can be developed but talent is god/parents given, put enough effort in and I could compete... and when I coached sport it was with an effort based mindset.

So having a good range of experience as a footballer/sportsman I'd expect you have developed your own KPI's , your own strategies , your own non-negotiables... what do you like to see in a player?

umm I was an assistant coach with a mate for my local under 14's for a few years. When he had enough it was my job if I wanted it but I was about 24 or so then and wasn't really interested in putting in the effort. I have a nearly 4 year old now so I'd say there is a fair chance I'll be involved again with it all soon enough.

I was always a pretty limited footballer, I had good skills because I practiced a lot and I did the team things because I wasn't flashy enough to do those things.. so I like players in that mould, guys that block, spoil, put their head over the ball and get whacked when it's their turn. I think its why Colbert was a favourite of mine before he left, same as why I like young Bews at the moment

Good luck with getting that into kids as a coach? I think boys may be easier to coach in that respect than girls... but teaching kids to take the hit...its either in you or not , I feel.

So whats your earliest memory of watching the Cats , I presume its was while you were playing still?

I think it was the 92 grand final... its the earliest game I can remember caring about, but being 9 I didnt quite get it either.. I remember Geelong won the under 18s or 19s (whatever they were then) that day and at the end of the day I was happy enough that 1 Geelong team had at least won.

The following year I went to my first match, did Vickick and was starting to get hooked right in

Just to expand on that , the 92 GF. One things for sure your experience of it would be a lot different to mine. Do you remember the game or just the reaction to the outcome?

I remember we were in front at half time and we lost, not a great deal more. I was at my grandparents for the day and I remember we went for a kick of the footy and a walk at half time and were gone about an hour or so.. so missed a chunk of the second half anyway.

So , it was the following year of 93 that you started to go watch the Cats. What a year to do it. 93 was a magic year for one GA5 , for that matter 94 , 95 was pretty handy seasons too.

From memory , or even just looking back whats your opinion on that period?

That we were just a fantastic attacking exciting team to watch, obviously we had Gaz dominating but Buddha, Couchy, Riccardi, Barnsey, Billy, Micky Mansfield... just guns everywhere. I think my first ever game was against West Coast at Geelong in 93, pretty sure the Eagles rolled us. I went with my Pa and could barely see anything with the standing room.. still loved it. Dad took us to a game at the G on a Friday night against North in 94 where they were the better team the 1st half, but we kicked the last few goals before halftime to get close then were all over them in the 2nd half. What else did I learn... that losing Grand Finals sucks... 94 and 95 were awful as a kid, pretty sure I cried both times, we just got smashed... it was heartbreaking

I also developed my intense dislike of Essendon around this time, the school I went to just outside of Ballarat had 60 something kids total, there was me and about 6 or 7 other cats fans and every other person seemed to barrack for the Bombers... so I learnt to start arguing with them early, also one of dads good mates is a mad Bomber fan who looking back on it obviously realised I would bite every time so used to stir me up about the Cats constantly.

A few things you say , ring my bell. I had a teacher who barracked for Carlton as a kid. Always going on about Navy Blue and White. Have not like them since then either.

But that 89-95 era. Using your acquired nous , why didn't we win one of the 4. I have my views but I'd like to hear yours.

I can't comment on 89 or 92 as I wasn't really old enough, obviously I've heard that 92 we should have won. 94 and 95 we just weren't good enough plain and simple, 94 we played 2 epics just to make the big dance. Buddha got hurt early after seeming to be dominating and then only Billy and Mansfield played well. 95 the Blues hardly lost all year and were 2 good (also cheating the salary cap as we later found out). From my memory we used to have a few that went missing grand final day which doesnt help either.

Still outside of all the actual GF losses my memories as a kid are that 97 was the real one we should have won, copped a dodgey finals draw and having to play in Adelaide and we were done.

I have always said , 92 was the one. Out the 4 it was the only one where we were ahead at HTime.

The 97 is interesting , often brought up is the 2nd game to Adelaide. True. Far less brought up is that we finished 2nd , played the team who finished 7th and got beaten. That game in Crow land is also remembered for a mark not paid. The Colbert mark.

You mentioned he was one of your favourites. What did you think when he was Capt. , and basically jumped ship when the Club was in all sorts of trouble?

I was dirty, of course I was also 16 and knew everything so he was plain and simply to me a gutless ****** taking the easy way out to put it bluntly.

Since time has passed and as I've come to understand the world a bit better I can understand some aspects of what he did better. Still doesn't excuse what he did, particularly after missing the whole year before... But it sounds like the place was a pretty toxic environment back then as well.

Perhaps tempered by time and the long term win we had with deal and success as a club? Losing a player with just over 100 games... yeah that stung. Did it hurt as much when Ablett departed?

It stung because he was captain at the time and hadn't even led the side out in his role, also we were in a world of trouble off field and he chose to bail instead of help fix it.

Ablett leaving hurt because of his name and he was the best player in the comp... and for me because it was all set up by the AFLs $$$$. It wasn't any issue with us, it wasn't anything other than him setting himself up for life with a godfather type offer... but we had also had success and most would have felt we were going to slide back, the flag the next year was just icing on the cake and a big FU to Bomber and Gaz really.

So not so much the loss of playing talent , it was the rejection. The pain was almost an unsaid comment on us rather than just purely dollars like it was with GA? Id have to agree.

But as you said Ablett was also post 07 and 09. Which leads me to the current era.

Having sat thru the pain of ultimate failure before and having watched and assessed a lot of football. Whats the difference this time. Why did we get it done , when in each of the finals campaigns , it could have easily fallen short.

We had a better side than in the 90s... we relied on too few then, a few absolute guns and some pretty good footballers... the recent era we had stars on every line and a style of football that blew teams away like the 90s could do but also was very difficult to score against...the foundations for our success were laid IMO from around 2003 onwards when Harley and Scarlett became a very good defensive key pairing... we were harder to score against, as our kids matured into guns the attack side of things came along with it and we then had the complete package.

So more talent than management. More on field style than health of the club. Cooks role was limited?

A combo of both... Cook played a huge role off the field, he didn't get the blokes showing their sublime skills but he did re build the club off field so we could get the right people in place to help the players show off their sublime skills.

I guess when I said we were a better team that's not just it. We were a better club…

We win 07 and 09 and in the afterglow of 3 GF's in 3 years , on the eve of 2010 you join Big Footy.

So what attracted you to the place.... ?

Technically I joined before then, I found out about the place hearing my clubs coach (who was an opinionated loudmouth) had been posting on the thread for my old league I played in. So I googled it, found the thread and started reading it regularly. I lurked for a while and then joined up to join in. Then I think I found this board and looked around the rest of the site. I didn't have the Internet at home at that time so didnt post much. When I did start having regular access to the site I couldn't remember my username and didn't like it anyway.. it was something generic like FootyFan23 or something. So started a new account and have been hooked ever since.

Speaking of usernames ... Willo underscore... what ..just plain Willo already taken?

Pretty much, not much more than that to it. Didn't feel like putting a number on the end of it so that did the job.

Nice selection of Avatars too. I get Parkinson but Hoff?

BF houses a lot of different posters , a lot of different personalities. Where do you see yourself in all that? Like to get things going a bit perhaps?

For example..Like this fantastic Off-Season thread that you developed. Pretty proactive and creative.

Parkinson was obviously just a tie in with the interviews, the current one... just a funny picture I found on twitter one day. Loved it so immediately made it my Twitter pic and then changed it here as well a few weeks back.

No idea where I sit within it all to be honest, I don't read every thread, I just say what I want to add when I feel like it, at times pretty bluntly ....which can rub people up the wrong way at times no doubt.

The interview thread really was just to break things up a bit, the board was a negative place after our straight sets exit and I thought it might just add something different to the same rubbish and circular arguments.

It worked in a way I guess but the same crap is still getting banged on about and the same posters that are looking for an argument are still trying to stir it up. It's been a long off season and the sooner the footy starts the better for me as personally I haven't found the place as enjoyable the last month or so.

Hopefully when footy starts some decent discussion can be generated and things will return to normal, I do worry how this place will be if we were to put in a shocker of a year purely because I don't think some people will handle it well

Yes I guess it can be a bit negative , and circular ..there are are always some posts that I feel have been done... yet there are some posters who I find that enrich the board.Its all about emotion and as long as its focused and channel correctly. Do not like it really when its gets too personal.

I think the coming season has the potential to really be full of lively posts , our side is just so unsettled. So in theme of being positive ..do you have any posters you like to read , most of time find them worthy of your time?

Yeah absolutely. catempire is very good, also helps that he and I share the same views and ideas for 95% of things GFC related, thejester, SJ, Pure_Ownage and yourself I always read as well, and many others. Partridge can be brilliant, I enjoy the views VC has as well....to be honest I could name several more. Most people being interviewed mentioned there being a dozen posters they always took note of and I'd be the same there. We have a lot of very knowledgeable good posters on our board which is what makes the circular s**t fights even more frustrating.

OK , getting to the end. Where do you think we are heading. You mentioned that we are a better club now than decades earlier. Do we stay a better club if we fail to go on and win a flag in the next 10 years?

Always hard to project too far but whats your feel for 2015 and 2016? Who will be our best player in two years time?

Yeah I still think we stay a better club if we don't win a flag in the next 10 years. Off the field we are in much much better shape, and we have people involved who know what it takes to get the job done.

Also add to that it will be very difficult to win a flag the next ten years. The expansion teams will be pretty strong and likely to have a sustained crack at it.

I'm not sure about this year, last year I thought we'd be about 6th and its where we finished up. This year could be boom or bust, if everything goes right then we could give it a shake... but we could just as easy slide to the bottom of/battling for the 8. Can our older players produce again, can our younger players take the next step? Your guess is as good as mine... and really that is the answer to 2016 as well..

Our best player in 2 years time will be our best player currently I'd say... the skipper.... followed closely by Dangerfield

Dangerfield. ! OK Thoughts on FA , good or bad for the game?

Well the Dangerfield comment was tongue in cheek, I have no idea if he will leave the crows or not..

As for FA probably bad for the teams, good for the players... for the game.. somewhere in the middle.

If they can work out a way to stop the strong getting stronger and stronger from it and the weak getting weaker then it has merit, if I want to move employers I can and I think it gives the players those same options. Naturally people aren't going to want to go to a weak team... so it's a difficult one

If Willo is in charge do we have it? Do you look after the teams or the players?

If I could make it so players stopped going to bloody Hawthorn its fine!!

Being serious...yes I'd still have it, gives the players options and freedom. The onus is simply on our club to make sure they remain an appealing destination.

But do we really want to put the rights of the one ahead of the many? To benefit the best who are willing to be less loyal over the ones who are? And what of the clubs , fine if you are a top club but do we really want to risk following a English Soccer template?

Its a delicate issue and I can see your point. Truth is I don't know the answer... Its up to the clubs to make sure their top players are signed up and want to stay I guess. My views would probably change if we lost a good player to FA, but as of yet it hasn't happened.

Just a little of Devil's Advocate Willo !!

If we want the best athletes , competing against the likes of Cricket and its 20/20 , Basketball or Soccer in the future , surely its the Salary Cap restrictions we need to look at ? We "the average" , might look at the wage of our players , even the likes of Ablett and say its almost obscene ..yet in the recent BRW list Ablett was 47. Top 5 Basketball , Golf, Golf , Motor Racing & Soccer.

Id say long term its the earning capacity the players really need to look at , not the location of where they sleep while they earn it. Thoughts?

Long term yes, but it opens an entirely different can of worms. Many clubs make a loss financially at the moment and struggle to pay the 97% or whatever it is of the salary cap. If we raise the bar in that respect the Collingwoods, SA and WA clubs will dominate the competition and the clubs not so financially well off will go further back. Then what happens? Does a private ownership type scenario come in? Do the Western bulldogs get brought out by an oil giant Man City style and become a force?

I'm taking a worst case scenario view obviously but personally I'm not too concerned about the BRW list... remembering we are talking about a national game not in international one as well.

All good points , the international one is valid. My thoughts are not what this Q and A is about but its interesting debate. Do we have a Capitalistic system or a socialistic one. I do wonder about any fair distribution when a club can make 50M and the players get 10. The FA thing is just the start. Todays paper has the next move from the AFLPA , changing the FA to a 6 and 8. Imagine at the end of the year that after all effort we have put in , Dan Menzel is a FA? Or Vardy. Even worse Duncan.

Anyway , this has been great.

Finally one last question. We agree we have a very good club now , a club we should all be proud to follow , a club that is one of the best in the AFL. But...

If you could make one change what would it be? One change that might be your "Bug Bear" or one that is a positive change that you feel will elevate us to an even greater level.

One change.... hmmm thats a tough question. I honestly don't know, my only real bug bear is the way the club communicates with us at time.. or more the lack of communication. It seems to be a dividing issue here but for me it's an area we could improve on, not just with injury news just with all aspects. You look at other clubs and apparently Hawthorn have a video every week of pre season with footage and interviews etc... where we seem to get things in bunches all over the place.... I'm also not sure why it divides the place and people argue it.. if you are happy with what is currently provided you certainly won't complain if there is more stuff provided, if you aren't currently happy then more stuff should help.

I personally think a more professional and open approach to dealing with the fans would help the club further lead the way off the field.

Communication. Thats a change that I would not have thought about as the most needed change. Good answer.

Alright , ... I think I have covered enough for people to get a vibe for the Friday Inquisitor.

Thanks for your time and thanks for the thread

Cheers mate, was weird being on the other side!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pumped for more interviews this off-season Willo if you will be keeping up with them it gives us something to look forward during the spring/summer time :D
I don't know if I can be f***ed to be honest :D

And as Strangled Cat said when we discussed this very thing at the pub... the sequel is never as good as the original

I'll think about it a bit more

But while it's been bumped everyone should re-read and enjoy :)

And SJ or Turbocat should sticky it :D

And as Strangled Cat said when we discussed this very thing at the pub... the sequel is never as good as the original

Surely Parky wouldn't turn back an offer on the occasional Special or Christmas Edition.

I'm happy to sticky a new version over the summer. :D

Could make for interesting/scary reading as to what some of us predicted for the season ahead (now behind us) in these interviews
A few top 4 predictions from memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back