The never ending Priddis debate - part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because everytime it dies off and goes quiet Pottering starts up again, I'm pretty sure the last 3 times it's gone quite for a few days he's posted something to get it going again.

No doubt you reckon "gone quiet" means the anti-Priddis types all agreeing among themselves that Priddis has suddenly developed late career skills and that their previous criticisms over the years were valid, Brownlows and B&F votes notwithstanding. And naturally when anyone has the temerity to suggest that in fact what has happened this year is a big improvement by the team overall allowing Priddis to alter his role slightly (those around him taking more advantage of the hard balls he wins, well) that needed to be shut down because it acknowledges Priddis was always a good player, but playing in a poor team. And that would leave plenty covered in egg.

No doubt you reckon "gone quiet" means the anti-Priddis types all agreeing among themselves that Priddis has suddenly developed late career skills and that their previous criticisms over the years were valid, Brownlows and B&F votes notwithstanding. And naturally when anyone has the temerity to suggest that in fact what has happened this year is a big improvement by the team overall allowing Priddis to alter his role slightly (those around him taking more advantage of the hard balls he wins, well) that needed to be shut down because it acknowledges Priddis was always a good player, but playing in a poor team. And that would leave plenty covered in egg.

Something that you suggested many times was not going to happen as we didn't have the players to take up Priddis' role you said.
The fact that a best a fairest, brownlow medallist, god incarnate, superman, pottering love child could be moved somewhat to a slightly "altered" you called it, role, because the very thing you banged on about was "there was nobody else to do his role."

Who has egg on their face now??

No, just pointing out a pattern, you're the one keeping this thread going.

July 6th - thread goes quiet, last post Monday 6th
July 9th - Pottering posts

This week - thread goes quiet on Monday
Thursday - Pottering posts

Just leave it fellas - let pottering and domo talk absolute gobshite to each other - we can all sit in the other threads gloating about how ******* good we are after each win.

anyone who isnt those two make your way to the exits now .....

Last edited:
Something that you suggested many times was not going to happen as we didn't have the players to take up Priddis' role you said.
The fact that a best a fairest, brownlow medallist, god incarnate, superman, pottering love child could be moved somewhat to a slightly "altered" you called it, role, because the very thing you banged on about was "there was nobody else to do his role."

Who has egg on their face now??

Yet again you peddle bullshit. What I actually said was that Priddis was the only one who was winning the hard ball, the likes of Masten, Gaff, Shuey etc were was less effective. This year (beginning last year) we've had Sheed develop, Yeo come into the midfield, Gaff becoming better at inside work and most importantly Naitanui dominating the ruck which means less reliance on inside ball winning. The unvarnished truth was that nobody was doing his role. This year others have stepped up or hadn't you notioced that?

No, just pointing out a pattern, you're the one keeping this thread going.

July 6th - thread goes quiet, last post Monday 6th
July 9th - Pottering posts

This week - thread goes quiet on Monday
Thursday - Pottering posts

You work in agriculture, do you? If not maybe you should because you're a damn fine cherry picker. If we were to believe you the thread goes quiet for days at a time, only restarting when I post something. Of course a cursory glance at what's actually being posted which disprove that immediately. Still, inventing situations to then criticise is one of your fortes.

You work in agriculture, do you? If not maybe you should because you're a damn fine cherry picker. If we were to believe you the thread goes quiet for days at a time, only restarting when I post something. Of course a cursory glance at what's actually being posted which disprove that immediately. Still, inventing situations to then criticise is one of your fortes.
Didn't invent anything, you can go back and have a look at those dates if you like. Anyway, I'm done trying to discuss anything with you, it's a complete waste of time because you spend most of your posts ignoring what's been said previously and attacking people.

After many years of bandwagoning comments on Mathew Priddis… is it time?

Yes, we understand [like all players] he has limitations.

Yes, we understand that he has improved some of his major/over-powering/debilitating faults. And that he's a different player this year…

But is it time for any of his many detractors, perhaps even just one, to say, 'I was wrong..'…???

giphy.gif

Yes, we understand that he has improved some of his major/over-powering/debilitating faults. And that he's a different player this year…

But is it time for any of his many detractors, perhaps even just one, to say, 'I was wrong..'…???

Isn't there already a number of threads basically on the debate around Priddis?
Surely this belongs in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson has played a big role in changing perceptions about Priddis IMO. His role and how he is playing it this season is superb.

Was obvious from early on last year IMO.

Today he was massive, especially in the first quarter when it mattered the most. But the positive this year is that Priddis has been quite in stages as far as his stoppage work and we've managed without his influence there. Plus he's been able to role forward and do some more offensive things because we don't need him at the ball drop as much. Who'd have predicted that a few years ago? neither his detractors nor his proponents.

I love that Simpson has found a way to put Priddis into space more often and get his legs closer to contests further up field where his decision making by hand becomes a weapon. Because if he's in space it's harder for opponents to burn him off and someone else can simply shift within a defensive zone to cover and you role someone else up quickly for cover on that person. Obviously it's not ideal, but it's a lot better than exposing Priddis for pace one on one as he has been in the past.

always good on getting the hard ball and is more effective in dishing off to the runners. but every game he will get caught 3 or 4 times and as the games/finals will see an increase in defensive intensity me thinks these thread will get another run. but as long as he sticks to his limitations and the surrounding midfielders continue their fine form he should be less noticable as a liability. wonder who Hawthorn will run off him. though as long as he has nic nat to live off he should be ok

always good on getting the hard ball and is more effective in dishing off to the runners. but every game he will get caught 3 or 4 times and as the games/finals will see an increase in defensive intensity me thinks these thread will get another run. but as long as he sticks to his limitations and the surrounding midfielders continue their fine form he should be less noticable as a liability. wonder who Hawthorn will run off him. though as long as he has nic nat to live off he should be ok

Hopefully Hawthorn puts him head to head against Sammy Mitchell. They're both so slow that they'll never run each other down, lol.

I would have thought this thread would be locked by now. There is no debate.

Probably true. It might actually be safe to discuss Matt in other threads relating to midfield/gameplan/list management given hardly anyone wants him gone anymore.

So good he doesn't need his own 700 page thread?

I've eaten my words a little bit. He's tightened up his skills. Is making better decisions and is playing to his strengths more this in turn is complimenting the players around him and the midfield is more cohesive. It's enabled Shuey, Yeo, Gaff and co to play to there strengths better. I feel Simpson has had a huge influence on his game, possibly the midfield coaches as well.

What you have said yourself is proof we weren't wrong.

Pretty much everyone except for one person on here has said that he's been playing well. The bolded part is why we think he's playing well, he's addressed many of the deficiencies that many of us thought made him a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back