The Worde on Laverde?

Remove this Banner Ad

Touchy about people's comments about Carlton's drafting, not the drafting itself. Subtle but important difference.

I don't know what to think on Blues recruiting. Rogers massive question marks whether made right decisions. Thought that he should have gone the Laverde, Boekhorst, Clem Smith, Reece McKenzie path

Boekhorst would last til 28th

I don't know what to think on Blues recruiting. Rogers massive question marks whether made right decisions. Thought that he should have gone the Laverde, Boekhorst, Clem Smith, Reece McKenzie path

Boekhorst would last til 28th
Rogers is a spud. Picking a wafl player over Laverde was a massive mistake.

Maybe few things of Laverde put few recruiters off eg. Late testing

That's was news out of Petracca with the Saints so could be same with Laverde as he did slip by a number of teams

Or they needed genuine speed. Carlton were VERY slow. They wanted players with speed. If they didn't trade for Jacsch then an argument for Hugh Goddard is definately there. There was obviously something that swayed clubs to let Laverde through to pick 20, and he is probably the most high risk/high reward pick in the whole draft. He will either be close to the best player in the draft or he'll be delisted in 4-5 years. Won't be much in between.

Or they needed genuine speed. Carlton were VERY slow. They wanted players with speed. If they didn't trade for Jacsch then an argument for Hugh Goddard is definately there. There was obviously something that swayed clubs to let Laverde through to pick 20, and he is probably the most high risk/high reward pick in the whole draft. He will either be close to the best player in the draft or he'll be delisted in 4-5 years. Won't be much in between.

I think clubs prefer to pick someone who they think is highly likely to be at least a solid contributor to the team and play 200+ with their first round pick, rather than a 'high risk/high reward' as you say Laverde is.

Also, lots of people claiming you still take 'best player available' early on but it seems to me a lot of clubs, particularly current successful ones like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong, often pick players based on need and other qualities than just on-field performance

Laverde, Lamb, Smith, McKenzie for me.

Don't get me wrong tho, I'm very happy to get Rainbow. That left boot is as good as I've seen.

Although bombers fans should definitely be happy with their picks. Some sunshine in a dark period!!

Wreaks of Gumbleton, Hislop and Jetta IMO.

Would him Missing Finals having an Effect?

Possibly but more the fact that teams went tall, and there were a LOT of talls picked in the 19 picks before. Laverde was always going to either go at pick 5 to Collingwood or slide out of the top 10. When you get to picks 11-20 odd there isn't that much of a difference, and teams went for need.

Possibly but more the fact that teams went tall, and there were a LOT of talls picked in the 19 picks before. Laverde was always going to either go at pick 5 to Collingwood or slide out of the top 10. When you get to picks 11-20 odd there isn't that much of a difference, and teams went for need.

Well Hine really Rates Big Game/Finals Performances. His lack of Finals might of worked against him towards Hine. De Goey having a Great Final Series

Well Hine really Rates Big Game/Finals Performances. His lack of Finals might of worked against him towards Hine. De Goey having a Great Final Series

After the first 3 mids there wasn't a lot between them and thus teams went KPP

Football ability could be a possibility?

Tall midfielders who do amazing things are always going to get hyped before the draft.

But from what I'v seen as well as making the difficult look easy Laverde can do the opposite at times as well. He's also quick without being lightening. Might not take the marks he does at AFL level, but mainly I think his decision making is a little off.

If you look at those drafted ahead of him its:
Gun hard to find quality talls (McCartin, Wright, Moore, Marchbank, Lever, Durdin)
Super slick running midfielders with near perfect pace and skill (Pickett, Ahern, Weller, Duggan, Garlett)
Really solid ball winning midfielders (Petracca, Brayshaw, Heeney, De Goey, Cockatoo, Ellis)
Then Carlton are going to Carlton with BB. I haven't seen enough of him to judge that choice from the Blues.

I look at the list and I think well the talls make a lot of sense. I look at the mids who win their own ball and use it well and I understand that as well. If those 6 lined up on a wing v Laverde in a grand final day who would you take right now? I'd take the first 4 for sure and probably Cockatoo. Ellis, hard to say but he's reliable. Of the outside mids they aren't all tall as him. They can't take the marks nor do they have some of his ability to get the ball and do things with it all over the ground. But all those guys I've named have a lot of speed and smooth skills. I think they link up and then link in with team mates more naturally.

That's just my opinion. It's what I've got from watching Laverde where I see 3 or 4 brilliant things then something that makes me think hmm what was that. And it's something that can't be coached out of some players. At the same time you can't coach height and it's very difficult to coach some players to take big strong grabs. So I'd be pretty pumped with Laverde and wouldn't worry too much.

Duggan is about as quick as Sidebottom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what your, um, really saying is that players went where they were rumoured to be going? inside the top 20?

ok, gotcha

I'm saying after Brayshaw, Petracca, and Pickett who were the 3 available standouts (Heeney being an Academy selection unavailable to others) the mids were all very similar. When you have a choice between a mid and KPP who are rated similarly, clubs take the KPP more often than not. It is why you had a few sliding mids/utilities this season.

I'm saying after Brayshaw, Petracca, and Pickett who were the 3 available standouts (Heeney being an Academy selection unavailable to others) the mids were all very similar. When you have a choice between a mid and KPP who are rated similarly, clubs take the KPP more often than not. It is why you had a few sliding mids/utilities this season.

All mids have something outstanding. Can hardly suggest "they are all similar" when each player taken had something quite different to the others.

Laverde looks more like a forward flanker then midfielder in my opinion. Strange how all the Dons supporters are raving on about how much of as superstar Langford is going to be but yet they ranked Laverde ahead of him a HFF who struggles to find his own footy. It's just gets me how Essendon fans seem to think that there club is just so much smarter then all the other teams and that everything they do is out smarting other clubs. Wot I really don't like is the supporters that are saying things like ha ha wot draft sanction we got two top ten selection this year anyway. You guys broke the rules and have given the outside world the impression that your club treated it's players like pin cushions. I know you Dons fans would be happy with these two @17 @20 but I wonder how happy these two kids are to be going to Essendon with the stigma attached to that club now.

Last edited:
Laverde looks more like a forward flanker then midfielder in my opinion. Strange how all the Dons supporters are raving on about how much of as superstar Langford is going to be but yet they ranked Laverde ahead of him a HFF who struggles to find his own footy. It's just gets me how Essendon fans seem to think that there club is just so much smarter then all the other team and that everything they do is out smarting other clubs. Wot I really don't like is the supporters that are saying things like ha ha wot draft sanction we got two top ten selection this year anyway. You guys broke the rules and have given the outside world the impression that your club treated it's players like pin cushions. I know you Dons fans would be happy with these two @17 @20 but I wonder how happy these two kids are to be going to Essendon with the stigma attached to that club now.
Someone's still a bit sore over choosing Boekhurst over Laverde

All the talk about Laverde reminds me of Kavanagh a couple of years ago.
Everyone was saying they where amazed that he sliped to the bombers and he will be the next Heppel.
He has been a dud.
There is obviously a differnce between who the media ranks and who the actual experts rank.

All the talk about Laverde reminds me of Kavanagh a couple of years ago.
Everyone was saying they where amazed that he sliped to the bombers and he will be the next Heppel.
He has been a dud.
There is obviously a differnce between who the media ranks and who the actual experts rank.

To be fair Kavanah has hamstrings that ping every 2 games, they couldn't forsee that. However they should have seen something. Maybe they weren't looking hard enough, I'm not sure. At least Laverde and Langford don't seem to be injury prone and thats a start.

Laverde looks more like a forward flanker then midfielder in my opinion. Strange how all the Dons supporters are raving on about how much of as superstar Langford is going to be but yet they ranked Laverde ahead of him a HFF who struggles to find his own footy. It's just gets me how Essendon fans seem to think that there club is just so much smarter then all the other team and that everything they do is out smarting other clubs. Wot I really don't like is the supporters that are saying things like ha ha wot draft sanction we got two top ten selection this year anyway. You guys broke the rules and have given the outside world the impression that your club treated it's players like pin cushions. I know you Dons fans would be happy with these two @17 @20 but I wonder how happy these two kids are to be going to Essendon with the stigma attached to that club now.

Both those kids and their families are ecstatic that they are at Essendon. So...

Someone's still a bit sore over choosing Boekhurst over Laverde
At first yes but not even remotely anymore. Taking Laverde was something Hughes would have done. Like back when he took highly rated Kane Lucus @12 (he was as high as 5 on some phantoms) because he slid and it was the general consensus that he was the best player available at that pick besides 20yr WA Lewis Jetta. The pre draft talk was that we were into Talia @12 which was the player we needed. In the end Hughes passed on the player we needed Talia@13Crows and the best available 20yr Jetta@14Swans to pick up highly rated youngster slider Kane Lucus @12. So after thinking about it for a bit I'm glad the club showed some balls at the draft table.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back