Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who ?

[yes I'm an old fart]

article-2331044-19FE6C6C000005DC-367_634x894.jpg

Sort of on what you guys are talking about, I don't get people who bash Iggy Azalea, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, etc., or say that today's music is bad.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a musical snob, scoffing at those who don't think Aeroplane Over the Sea is one of the 90s best albums or those who can't recognise Pete Townshend's genius in the potential mess The Who's sound could have been if he played any other way. You know, I care about stupid s**t like that.

But even so, I recognise the importance of people like Swift and Azalea. It's to make catchy pop hits, and is that such a bad thing? I'm not embarrassed to say that if Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' comes on the radio, I'll sing along. Why? Because it's bloody catchy. The only reason Swift, Minaj and co. get the blame for today's music being bad is because people have short/selective memories. When reminiscing about the music of the 80s, people talk about U2 and Queen while forgetting about the likes of Nelson or Rick Astley. And the 90s? For every Song 2 there was a Baby One More Time. For every Loser there was a Everybody (Backstreet's Back). Some of the music from the past 50 years has been absolute dogshit and it's hardly become worse. But when you focus on people like Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj and say that they've ruined music, you've already forgotten that bands like The White Stripes, Foo Fighters and the Arctic Monkeys kicked arse during the 2000s, and the latter two are still going.

My point is that every decade has it's bad music, but it's never ruined music. Swift, Azalea and Minaj have a purpose and if people keep buying and listening to their (admittedly catchy) music, they're doing it right. There's still a lot of good bands out there for the rest of us to listen to, and buying their music will do more to help the state of music than whining about the bad ones.

Good post. It's the same with everything - people tend to only reminisce about the good things from previous eras, forgetting all the bad. I grew up in the 80's and 90's and there was some brilliant music from these decades, but also some horrendous music. Unfortunately I missed the 60's and 70's, but I would wager that the same thing could be said about that period.

Also, I would have liked your post twice if I could, simply for the Neutral Milk Hotel shout out. Such a shame that they haven't released more music than they have.

Neutral Milk Hotel are awesome. Sing one hell of a story.

Great post Engimal

That being said I don't know how people can find Nicki Minaj catchy. Her music is truly terrible. There are plenty of other pop musicians who I can understand the appeal. She is one of a handful that I can't get my head around.

The obsession of Taylor Swift a lot of straight (seemingly anyway) young males have

Very odd

Not that odd, she makes decent music (if you're into it that is).

Not even a looker. She's ok I guess
Also the common perception is that she is some type of angel when if you go through her boyfriends (all 2444243 of them) it's clear she's ridden the utensil carousel a few times

I think she's attractive, depends what she wears and how her hair is styled. The fact she goes through more boyfriends than someone changes their underwear is a cause for concern.

I thought her previous cd's were pretty good, in the leadup to 1989 I found a new appreciation for Speak Now (thought it was her worst previously.... I actually enjoy it a lot more these days... probably because I now think 1989 is her worst cd as she's gone TOO pop influenced for my liking).

(early days Britney plz)

Early days Britney was fantastic, I know people rave on about how much hotter she was all sexed up but the Baby one more time era Britney is best Britney imo. I find it amusing (yet creepy) that a lot of my younger friends (early to mid 20's now) were grooving along and enjoying her music way back then. Whereas I was liking Britney for more than her music at the time (ewwwwwwwwwwww).

13 is her favorite number yes.

It would be mine if it wasn't for a particular flower nicknamed footballer...

Should I show my taylor swift tattoo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the numbers 9 and 19 for football reasons (ie: favourite player's over the years), doesn't mean I am going to get the same numbers tattooed on myself :D

yeah that's a bit much. i know someone who did the same with his gfs name. at that stage i told him i knew you were (in) trouble, and it was a treacherous thing to do. he was only 22 as well. at the time he said he was the lucky one in the relationship and everything has changed for the better.

anyway the broke up and he said he was never ever getting back together with her. actually the other day i brought up his ex, and he said why you gotta be so mean? i was pissing myself, and said mate if i was in the same boat there would be no way id get a tatt like that....my bodys mine!

anyway, he broke up with her, we calculated back to december when the rot set in. thing is, i told him it's almost a year since the break up and although it was sad i thought it was for teh best. he said "you're not sorry" about it. i laughed (cause the situation was pathetic), told him when she got him to get the tatt he should've said no.

worst part, we were at a cafe when we caught up just recently. fkin james blunts goodbye my lover came on. he said this was our song!

bloke was totally fearless

Last edited:
I don't understand her body. As in, I don't understand how it's f*cking possible to have that good a body. She's like the end game for female bodies. It's like, you can't get any better naturally.

Srs brah? Not saying her body isn't bangin', because it is, but I think that's a bit far. For me her sexiness is all about her eyes and lips.

I don't understand her body. As in, I don't understand how it's f*cking possible to have that good a body. She's like the end game for female bodies. It's like, you can't get any better naturally.
Borderline anorexic, no ass = 'cant get any better'? She is gorgeous but her body isn't what is attractive about her.

Sort of on what you guys are talking about, I don't get people who bash Iggy Azalea, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, etc., or say that today's music is bad.

I think the debate is not that the music is bad...more the fact these people are not musicians.

Srs brah? Not saying her body isn't bangin', because it is, but I think that's a bit far. For me her sexiness is all about her eyes and lips.

Borderline anorexic, no ass = 'cant get any better'? She is gorgeous but her body isn't what is attractive about her.

its her morals and attitude to life that are attractive to me.

her soul is beautiful, and her smile glistening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back