Toast Thurs. 30 April 2015 - Hong Kong ANZAC Centenary Luncheon, Hosted by PAFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Some action pix by ISAAC LAWRENCE from the Team China vs Pearl River Power exhibition match on 30 April at Hong Kong Football Club.

The lads wearing the Power jumper only started playing AFL in October, having switched from other skilled sports, mainly basketball.

The Chinese characters on the jumper read 'Pearl River' on the front, and 'Renewable Energy' on the back, sponsored by CLP (China Light & Power).

action 1.1.jpg action1.jpg action2.jpg action4.jpg action5.jpg
action6.jpg action3.jpg action8.jpg action7.jpg

EPILOGUE: The Australian 14 Aug 2015 :

AFL roundtable:
Overseas push no lure as Crows focus centres on home front

ADELAIDE chief executive Andrew Fagan believes taking games overseas is “nothing but a sideshow” and he has urged the AFL to focus on more pressing priorities at home.

As Port Adelaide extends its commercial arm in China, and St Kilda and Carlton play games in New Zealand, Fagan says the Crows have no plans to follow them abroad.

“I’ve seen little enduring benefit across most codes from teams playing ad hoc or irregular games in foreign markets,” Fagan said.

“They can provide tactical wins; if you can create a commercial model that might benefit you from playing a game on foreign shores that’s great.

“We’re not looking seriously at playing games overseas and I’d be disappointed if the AFL invested materially in those sorts of initiatives when we have a whole bunch of priorities nationally that require attention.

“At the moment I’d prefer to shore up our market here and be an important part of the South Australian fans’ experience and those that we attract nationally to Adelaide.

“Whether it’s at development level and fighting for hearts and minds in the community space to eight to 10 clubs that are struggling financially.

“Support them to the extent that it might aid them commercially but let’s not go chasing developing a new market where you might only be giving someone a game once every couple of years, it’s nothing but a sideshow I think.”

His Port Adelaide counterpart Keith Thomas believes the competition should keep an open mind about overseas markets but it should not be at the expense of the local product.

“For us to China is a commercial decision, so there’s great value in demonstrating your game for exhibition purposes and profile purposes over there,” Thomas said.

“I would say if we were looking at growing the game in a particular region if it were New Zealand, you’ve got to stay the course and the AFL has been very good at that.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...es-on-home-front/story-fnlpeek0-1227483834180

This piece originally appeared in the Advertiser under this photo, taken by Isaac Lawrence at the HK Football Club on 30 April 2015. Graham Cornes was there as a guest of PAFC.

d0259b35a66ae1d60140f66d5414ba9d.jpg

On the left are Howard Zhang Hao (Manager, Team China) and Chen Shaoliang (Captain, Team China). These two enthusiastic AFL pioneers are currently guests of PAFC at Alberton - having flown down from Guangdong for Multicultural Round - and have been appointed by the Club as full-time operators in China. Chen has just completed his university teaching course and will be training and playing with one of our Academy sides.

I take great heart from Mr. Fagan's comments, which happen to coincide with the AFL beginning to support PAFC's China Venture with more than just lip service.

Neat side-step and dodge by KT.

Last edited:
KT confirmed 8.very wealthy Chinese businessmen were guests of the club at the game. Hosted by the Premier.

They were excited by the spectacle and very impressed by the show Port put on. Loved the atmosphere.

To quote KT Watch this space.

KT confirmed 8.very wealthy Chinese businessmen were guests of the club at the game. Hosted by the Premier.

They were excited by the spectacle and very impressed by the show Port put on. Loved the atmosphere.

To quote KT Watch this space.

And BOG was a battler called Ah Chee. How apt.

Just came across this piece from the ABC, dated early May, and post it here to complete the thread:

http://www.australiaplus.com/international/2015-05-05/taking-aussie-rules-football-to-china/1443748

Taking Aussie rules football to China

A growing number of Chinese nationals are embracing Australia's favourite sport by joining the Australian Football League in China.
He may have only been on the field for three years, but Chen Shao Ling is proud of his short but successful AFL career. He played in last year’s international cup and is the captain of Team China.
He’s also the highest goal scorer in the South China Australian football league and considered one of the “gun” players.
“I love footy," Chen Shao Ling says. "I played basketball before AFL, but when I play footy I don’t want to play basketball anymore. Footy is more fun. It’s a real game.”
He's one of a growing number of Chinese nationals who have signed up to the Australian Football League (AFL) in southern China. There are now six teams actively playing in the region and Australian football club Port Adelaide is leading the campaign to grow partnerships in this lucrative market....

http://www.australiaplus.com/international/2015-05-05/taking-aussie-rules-football-to-china/1443748

Remove this Banner Ad

Back