Twomey's Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

So not a particularly exciting draft for Port fans either.

We'll talk up whomever we pick, but realistically the odds are not going to be with those lads

I remember great phantom's, they used to go all the way through the whole draft.

But this jerk stops at 30 ... :mad:
His year long, full time job is to report on the draft. And he comes up with a 30 pick phantom. Serioisly. Bring back burgatron.

I think in a 2-3 years your midfield will be the benchmark...forwards and defenders time will tell.

Not many mids burst out of the blocks in their first 2-3 seasons like Judd and Selwood. More like 5+ seasons to really be hitting peak form like Griffen, Watson, Goddard etc etc did.

Lamb just sounds like a red flag, let alone with DVR, Maynard, Boekhorst, Blakeley and EVW available. Could easily be wrong, but doesn't really fit our wants in a player.

Agreed.
No way we'd take both Marchbank and Lamb after Rogers has come out and said that we need speed, speed and more speed.

Agreed.
No way we'd take both Marchbank and Lamb after Rogers has come out and said that we need speed, speed and more speed.

Tutt brings some speed in, just need to teach him to calm down slightly just before he disposes of the ball...

From the lead-in, it sort of sounds like it's just his opinion, rather than what he thinks the clubs will actually do ('...reveals his top 30...'). And with all due respect, I think most of us would care more about what the clubs are probably going to do than on his opinion. He can tell us the rest when he does his winners and losers post-draft review. Until then, I don't really care.

Hopefully we can finally start to match it with the other midfields soon..

Scully and Trengove
Viney and Toumpas
Petracca and Brayshaw?

All these 2 gun mid drafts for Melbourne...not even counting the later first round picks like Blease, Tapscott, Strauss etc.

Lets hope this time isnt another false dawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty poor read. General opinion and an incomplete draft.

How hard is it to research things and at least give it a go like Burgatron used to?

Emma Quayle is lightyears ahead of the AFL's resident draft writer. At least Callum is matching the standards of other AFL related media.

His year long, full time job is to report on the draft. And he comes up with a 30 pick phantom. Serioisly. Bring back burgatron.

Except for the fact it isn't. His full time employment is as a reporter for AFL Media, primarily for Essendon-related stories. The draft is one of his side projects, not his only one.

Emma Quayle is lightyears ahead of the AFL's resident draft writer. At least Callum is matching the standards of other AFL related media.

Really? Her phantom is no longer then Twomey's but for some reason people want to hold her up as a draft demigod when really the likes of Quayle, Twomey and Anderson are all pretty much on par with each other.

Seems pretty off to me, like why would Gold Coast take Wright? They've already got: Day, Dixon, Lynch, Smith, Nicholls, Gorringe.

Also, Laverde and Weller both slipping into the teens is something I can't see either.

Phantoms after pick 30 are pretty useless anyway. Someone with his knowledge should just do a first round and then a detailed write up of the rest of the players in the order that he rates them.

Quayle has said things like "I can't see the point in releasing a phantom earlier than draft eve".

If she believes that statement, then she must be pretty stupid.

It depends on what you want from it. If you want it to be as accurate as possible (and her's generally seem to be so spot on that she must have the inside word with the clubs), then I'd say she's spot on. If you want it to just be a personal opinion and not indicative of what you expect the clubs to do, then you could put it out after the combine, or after the trade period is over. To be honest, I'm more interested in the inside word she gets from the clubs than her own personal opinions of the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back