Player Watch Tyler Brown - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Gibson and Crocker?

Look I hope I’m wrong and he’s developed an ability to win the ball and has a great career for us.

Interestingly we told him we might pick him up as a rookie but didn’t, we also told Turner the same thing so we must have planned on 2 further list changes which didn’t eventuate, I’d say McAsey and Crouch not finding homes screwed us.

We obviously preferred Dowling and Bond to Brown, whilst a couple of years away for them, is the intention Brown plays midfield before:

Laird, Keays, Schoenberg, Soligo, Sloane, Pedlar, Taylor, Rachelle, Rankine, Dowling and Bond? Or is he just depth?

I know the probability is low and that's basically how you're basing your opinion (I tend to agree).

Sometimes you get surprised!

Proving Nicks has NFI

Starred on a wing for Swans, we push him back to save the coaches arze

Look, whilst there is no doubt Sydney were more willing to use him as a 3rd or 4th wing option in 2021 (and, lets be real, unlike us they could also afford too seeing we lost Seedsman and Smith declined) in 2021, Sydney saw Dawson as a defender first and foremost. After all, it's where he was primarily selected for just about the entirety of the 2021 season. Only being a 1st/2nd choice winger once, in round 22 against GWS. Usually, if Dawson wasn't selected in defense - he was on the bench.

Even a quick glance of Jordans production in 2021 supports that's how he was used. Some highlights of what he averaged: 463 meters gained, 5.4 intercepts, 1.6 contested defensive one on ones, 3.3 spoils, 4.2 score involvements (0.4 goals), 0.7 clearances, 4 ground ball gets.

He was in situations he could routinely generate intercepts, spoils and meters gained (which are all more typical of a half back flank then wing), he was getting frequently isolated in defense (something Adelaide improved on in 2022 - going down to 1.1 defensive one on ones a game), he wasn't producing a lot of direct offense (4.2 SI is ~ elite for a half back as an FYI). He also wasn't involved in a lot of stoppages owing to a relatively low clearance number. Another thing that backs up Dawson was primarily used as a defender in 2021 at Sydney: His offensive stats saw a minor increased in 2022 at Adelaide with an increase of 0.1 more goals, shots at goal and goal assists, and 0.4 more score involvements.

The only real thing that changed between 2022 and 2021 was how important Dawson was to the side he was in, and luckily for us, Dawson was ready to be that important. In terms of usage though. Dawson made his name as a half back flanker and we continued on that.

Last edited:
Proving Nicks has NFI

Starred on a wing for Swans, we push him back to save the coach's arze

How does it save Nicks pushing him back?

Are you saying it minimises losses - so the team performs better - with him back?

I assume from your comment regarding Dawson at the Swans means you think he would be more effective forward of the ball and therefore the team result would be better if he played wing? So Nicks is reducing his effectiveness by playing him behind the ball and therefore reducing how well the team performs?

Ideally we would have him on a wing but our defensive talent and experience has probably dictated we needed him there to support the group

Butts second year
Murray first year?
Parnell first year
Hinge 20 games
Jones 40 games
Smith plenty
Doedee enough

Pretty thin on experience back there - and does the midfield and forward line improve if you can’t get it up to them?

Not sure Nicks had the luxury of Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham, Hewett and even Melican and Tom McCartin had played 50 plus by then, at his disposal

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Look, whilst there is no doubt Sydney were more willing to use him as a 3rd or 4th wing option in 2021 (and, lets be real, unlike us they could also afford too seeing we lost Seedsman and Smith declined) in 2021, Sydney saw Dawson as a defender first and foremost. After all, it's where he was primarily selected for just about the entirety of the 2021 season. Only being a 1st/2nd choice winger once, in round 22 against GWS. Usually, if Dawson wasn't selected in defense - he was on the bench.

Even a quick glance of Jordans production in 2021 supports that's how he was used. Some highlights of what he averaged: 463 meters gained, 5.4 intercepts, 1.6 contested defensive one on ones, 3.3 spoils, 4.2 score involvements (0.4 goals), 0.7 clearances, 4 ground ball gets.

He was in situations he could routinely generate intercepts, spoils and meters gained (which are all more typical of a half back flank then wing), he was getting frequently isolated in defense (something Adelaide improved on in 2022 - going down to 1.1 defensive one on ones a game), he wasn't producing a lot of direct offense (4.2 SI is ~ elite for a half back as an FYI). He also wasn't involved in a lot of stoppages owing to a relatively low clearance number. Another thing that backs up Dawson was primarily used as a defender in 2021 at Sydney: His offensive stats saw a minor increased in 2022 at Adelaide with an increase of 0.1 more goals, shots at goal and goal assists, and 0.4 more score involvements.

The only real thing that changed between 2022 and 2021 was how important Dawson was to the side he was in, and luckily for us, Dawson was ready to be that important. In terms of usage though. Dawson made his name as a half back flanker and we continued on that.
Wrong

Carmo's left field take on the crows wings and by extension use of Dawson.

I can't help but feel that we gave up on actually having wings last year and started to use the position as an in-game training position. If you got put to the wing, your main job was to show you can run two ways, especially the defense way. Hately got put out there, Crouch was there once or twice too I reckon. Your job was to show you were willing to work as hard as what Nicks demands and harder than your opponent, run up and down it all day. Try and get some kicks and stop your opponent getting kicks as well, but just run. If you run up and down there sufficiently, you have a future at the club, if not back to the SANFL, to do the same and then if you can't do it there you are defs looking at being delisted.

It might explain why Sholl got put out to pasture as well.

I'll be watching this at AFL and SANFL keenly this forthcoming season.

I can't help but feel that we gave up on actually having wings last year and started to use the position as an in-game training position. If you got put to the wing, your main job was to show you can run two ways, especially the defense way. Hately got put out there, Crouch was there once or twice too I reckon. Your job was to show you were willing to work as hard as what Nicks demands and harder than your opponent, run up and down it all day. Try and get some kicks and stop your opponent getting kicks as well, but just run. If you run up and down there sufficiently, you have a future at the club, if not back to the SANFL, to do the same and then if you can't do it there you are defs looking at being delisted.

Nah, he wanted to play more as an inside contested player to clog up play and reduce scores against rather than using a player like Dawson as an offensive weapon. It all changed after the Carlton and GWS floggings

Last edited:

This is really insightful observation that I had never considered. I’m not sure about it but it’s a really, really good call and explains a couple of otherwise strange selections

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proving Nicks has NFI

Starred on a wing for Swans, we push him back to save the coach's arze
Can just imagine the recruiting process.

Nicks: So, Jordan, loved your move to the wing this last year or so. Incredible stuff. Elite. We think the re is more there as well. We want you to play midfield. We think you can become the elite mid of the comp.

Dawson: You really think so?

Nicks: Yeh of course. How would you like a Brownlow? It's a midfielders award after all.

Dawson: That does sound pretty good. Ok, I'm in.

round 5 of 1st season with Dawson

Nicks: Psyche! Back to the backlines with you Dawson! I'm not even going to put you on the wing.

He can't kick. He times the kicks all wrong. You would think it would have been worked on by now.
Hateley's strength and he showed this at AFL level, was being strong enough to take the tackle and get an effective handball out in traffic. He needed to be the ball hunting mid. The problem was, this was Matt Crouch's strength too. And the problem for both of them is they don't do much else and are not damaging by foot (as you say). So, even Keays, who struggles by foot too, but is elite in his capacity to run and put on defensive pressure takes their spot and Laird is a level above all of them as an all-rounder too. I think Hateley and Crouch will play mostly SANFL this year and then delist. Maybe they hope Tyler Brown has some better attributes, having already put Hateley and Crouch in the not likely to impact basket.

Can just imagine the recruiting process.

Nicks: So, Jordan, loved your move to the wing this last year or so. Incredible stuff. Elite. We think the re is more there as well. We want you to play midfield. We think you can become the elite mid of the comp.

Dawson: You really think so?

Nicks: Yeh of course. How would you like a Brownlow? It's a midfielders award after all.

Dawson: That does sound pretty good. Ok, I'm in.

round 5 of 1st season with Dawson

Nicks: Psyche! Back to the backlines with you Dawson! I'm not even going to put you on the wing.
That’s the thing, I’m sure when we recruited him we even mentioned him playing midfield. That was over when we had a couple of losses.

If nuffies like us can see it, how can an experienced AFL coaching group not?

If we play Worrell in the SANFL so we can accomodate Dawson down back, I will cry.

Looking for the short term fix not looking long term.
Like playing a senior who will give 8/10 compared to a kid that will give a 4/10

Short term fix or support? Our backline is average and very inexperienced. If we can’t rebound out of there how does the rest of the team improve?

Short term fix or support? Our backline is average and very inexperienced. If we can’t rebound out of there how does the rest of the team improve?

If we keep ignoring the midfield, we can have an elite backline and it still won't affect the result.

We've used far too much draft currency on bloody small forwards the last four or so years.

When Dawson is being dragged to the goal line, he ain’t doing much rebound. Do we really want scrubbers like McEntee kicking goals on our best player?

Or would we prefer Dawson creating goals?

One mentality is to reduce the size of the loss, the other is try and win the game.

Last edited:

Well I guess if we stop it further up or have better delivery into the forward line, we aren’t as reliant on the back line to hold up.

Well I guess if we stop it further up or have better delivery into the forward line, we aren’t as reliant on the back line to hold up.

I don’t disagree. We are rebuilding though and not all parts of the ground will mature and improve at the same time. We have some experience and physically mature youth in the middle, forward line looks almost set with experience and youth - the backline lacks experience. Propping it up for a year or so with reinforcements kind of makes sense

I don’t disagree. We are rebuilding though and not all parts of the ground will mature and improve at the same time. We have some experience and physically mature youth in the middle, forward line looks almost set with experience and youth - the backline lacks experience. Propping it up for a year or so with reinforcements kind of makes sense

Yeah it makes sense but I don’t think it’s the place for our best player.

Don't know much about him but from those highlights it at least looks like he's a 2 way runner, can kick and looks composed. That's an advantage over a lot of our mids.

Hasn't cost us anything so is basically a free hit that has addressed one of our issues. Still leaves me scratching my head regarding our KPD though.

we don't need a depth KPD. We're not contending, depth is meaningless at this point. Why can't people understand this? We need to roll the dice on talent, not clog the list with positional depth.

At this point Brown is probably is just depth with a low % of being something more.

Still, it's a long season and if he gets hot in the SANFL, you'd imagine opportunities would open themselves up pretty quickly. After all, Brown does offer a point of difference.

you seriously reckon opportunities open themselves up pretty quickly in our 4 man midfield strategy? No way Brown pushes past Sloane, it's already inked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back