Player Watch Tyler Brown - Welcome to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

you seriously reckon opportunities open themselves up pretty quickly in our 4 man midfield strategy? No way Brown pushes past Sloane, it's already inked.

Perhaps not in the starting midfield - but I definitely think that if Nicks likes Brown he will get him in the team early on.

He has proven over the past 3 years that he is happy to give new players a place in the team right away.

All I know for sure on Brown is Collingwood preferred Carmichael over him and even if we did too, we didn’t have the list spot due to poor list management

I wouldn't confuse poor list management with poor coaches and a system that values their influence when it comes to talent acquisition. We chose a cooked Thommo on a gold watch SANFL year ahead of keeping Jarryd Lyons in a GF season. That's not a list management failure, that's a club culture failure. List management had 2 spots for Carmichael, talent ID/coaches chose Turner to chase an SANFL flag.

When Dawson is being dragged to the goal line, he ain’t doing much rebound. Do we really want scrubbers like McEntee kicking goals on our best player?

Or would we prefer Dawson creating goals?

One mentality is to reduce the size of the loss, the other is try and win the game.

What is very sad is that when we played the balls out style, not only was it good to watch and quite successful, it identifies the weak links that don't belong in a challenging system. But instead of looking to move past those players, we change tack and build a game plan based upon their weaknesses. This is why Nix has no future as a senior coach, he's a loss minimiser, has no dare at all.

Not in the midfield, unless injury opens a spot. And especially not since VB turned up.

It will be interesting to see. Towards the end of the season - Nicks gave the young blokes lots of opportunities in the centre. Now Keays had a busted shoulder the last month, but there was a definite uptick of midfield time in the 2nd half of the season for Berry, Schoenberg and Soligo.

Rd 23 CBA's % - Laird 85.2%, Berry 66.7, Schoenberg 74.1%,. Soligo 74.1%

I dont think Nicks is as rigid as you suggest. I mean even with Rory Sloane - he midfield minutes were massively in decline before he hurt his knee. He went from 73%, 67%, 48%, 0% in his first games for CBA.

He seems conservative, not stubborn. Hopefully in 2023 he shows a lot more flexibility in our midfield group and defensive structures.

It will be interesting to see. Towards the end of the season - Nicks gave the young blokes lots of opportunities in the centre. Now Keays had a busted shoulder the last month, but there was a definite uptick of midfield time in the 2nd half of the season for Berry, Schoenberg and Soligo.

I dont think Nicks is as rigid as you suggest. I mean even with Rory Sloane - he midfield minutes were massively in decline before he hurt his knee. He went from 73%, 67%, 48%, 0% in his first games for CBA.

He seems conservative, not stubborn. Hopefully in 2023 he shows a lot more flexibility in our midfield group and defensive structures.
Just let the old man yell at his cloud :grinv1:

And how does any of that counter my post that injury is required to open up a spot? And you've used 1 round, 1. Berry had been one of the 4 primaries most of the year. As was Schoey every time he was selected. The primary 4 after Sloane was sacked was Laird, Berry, Schoey and Keays. All that changed was Keays was injured and Sog got more of a go. You know this, why try and dress it up as some kind of cultural awakening.

And how does any of that counter my post that injury is required to open up a spot?

Not trying to counter your post mate. Not everything is an argument. Plenty of people on this forum want to discuss footy!

Its why I started the post with "it will be interesting to see" as I am genuinely excited to see what Nicks does round 1. For me its a 50/50 - he could very easily go very "safe" and conservative and play Sloane, Crouch, Keays and Laird in the middle. I could just the same see him starting with Laird, Schoenberg, Berry and Soligo.

And you've used 1 round, 1. Berry had been one of the 4 primaries most of the year. As was Schoey every time he was selected. The primary 4 after Sloane was sacked was Laird, Berry, Schoey and Keays. All that changed was Keays was injured and Sog got more of a go. You know this, why try and dress it up as some kind of cultural awakening.

There was a significant uptick of CBA's for all of Berry, Schoenberg and Soligo after round 15. Make of it what you will, but thats undeniable.

And Nicks has changed - as you conveniently left out - Sloane's usage in the centre decreased significantly every game until he was hurt. Nicks is slow to change, but he is willing to change. Hopefully the change experienced at the end of 2022 continues (although I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't).

Don't mind the pick here with Brown, effectively replaces Seed and seems versatile enough, mature body and gives us depth which we don't have a lot of.

Think being out of Melbourne and away form the pressure of Collingwood being the son of a legend etc might be a really good thing for him.

We got him for nothing (like Keays) so lets hope he turns out a gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:moustache:

RWDXdiG.jpg

Don't mind the pick here with Brown, effectively replaces Seed and seems versatile enough, mature body and gives us depth which we don't have a lot of.

Think being out of Melbourne and away form the pressure of Collingwood being the son of a legend etc might be a really good thing for him.

We got him for nothing (like Keays) so lets hope he turns out a gem.

He's also 192 cms as well which is handy because we're pretty short height wise in the middle.

I watched him play for Collingwood and thought straight away that he was pretty handy player.....
Same POV, Clubs like GC had on Atkins ....and COLL had with Frampton

The career arrows shot at David McKay were around his low possession counts .....at least Brown gets to enjoy a pre-season of supporter optimism, prior to Round 1

27 games for Collingwood in 5 years, average possessions 10 tackles 2.
Hope this gamble pays dividends, but not confident.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Main issue is he needs to find more of the ball.

Pies played him mostly on the outside, but gather we are thinking more as an inside midfielder with his size.

Interesting given we have Crouch & Hately also outside our best 22.

Which one can break into our side when the opportunity arises...

What is very sad is that when we played the balls out style, not only was it good to watch and quite successful, it identifies the weak links that don't belong in a challenging system. But instead of looking to move past those players, we change tack and build a game plan based upon their weaknesses. This is why Nix has no future as a senior coach, he's a loss minimiser, has no dare at all.

It is going to be interesting to see whether the club and coach are on the same page here. If we believe we need one more year hitting the draft early then do we guarantee him another year or are we expecting to start being a more competitive team in and around the 6-10 mark and bugger the top 5 pick (which granted we couldn't guarantee Hamish wouldn't call out a Vic Metro KPD with).

If they want us to be more competitive then he may have to abandon the game plan that minimises our weaknesses and plays to our strengths, no matter if that means we cop a couple of hidings to go with the wins.

On topic though, I hope since we have brought Brown over that we put him in the team over Crouch if it is a choice between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back