MMA-UFC UFC 167 - GSP vs Hendricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Admitidally it is from TMZ, but eh, who knows.

Georges St-Pierre dealing with dying father, unplanned pregnancy: report

UFC fighter Georges St-Pierre is stepping away from the Octagon due to two separate personal issues, according to TMZ.com.

The website reports that St-Pierre's father is dying, and he is also dealing with an unplanned pregnancy -- he recently learned that he impregnated an unnamed woman, and she wants to keep the child.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/1...-with-dying-father-unplanned-pregnancy-report

Admitidally it is from TMZ, but eh, who knows.

Georges St-Pierre dealing with dying father, unplanned pregnancy: report

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/1...-with-dying-father-unplanned-pregnancy-report
Update on bleacher report by way of Bloody Elbow:

Canadian media outlet La Presse is reporting (translation via Bloody Elbow) that Georges St-Pierre's younger sister, Myriam St-Pierre, has denied the claim that their father is terminally ill.
"My father is doing very well," Myriam St-Pierre is quoted as saying, adding that the notion of her father being sick is false.

The GSP Rogan podcast is on YouTube.
He's a strange fella. Interesting as *, but strange. The best always are I suppose.

Well whaddya know, GSP's first finish in years.

ha, subtle

The GSP Rogan podcast is on YouTube.
He's a strange fella. Interesting as ****, but strange. The best always are I suppose.

Joe Rogan podcasts are excellent. GSP was quite short (in comparison) though :(
Dan Hardy one is great too

Joe Rogan podcasts are excellent. GSP was quite short (in comparison) though :(
Dan Hardy one is great too
I just finished listening to his latest one with Jeremy Stephens. Some good discussion about UFC 167 there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Slack posted another excellent article breaking down St-Pierre vs Hendricks:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1853883-ufc-167-how-johny-hendricks-killed-the-king

Jack is effusive in his praise of GSP calling him the greatest MMA fighter fighting today. If GSP took a page out of Floyd Mayweathers book and Muhammad Ali's books and utilised the right hand lead he could become and even scarier proposition:

Rumour on a hockey forum i frequent is concussion issues.Memory loss and alien abduction(no joke)

I guess when Georges said he goes to his "dark place" when he fights he might have meant he goes to dark space. Seriously I think he is a bit of a strange cat in the rare moments he speaks freely but he has been fighting professionally for a decade so might have early stages of CTE.

I'm just as interested to find out the real reason he needs to take time off because I think Hendricks won the fight and deserves not to be screwed around when he has a family to support. It wasn't as dominant as some people make out but Hendricks deserves to be making good money now the he reached the pinnacle of the sport.

Just watched it again. I still think Hendricks won 3 rounds to 2. All the claims of worst decision ever, not only by fans but even past and current fighters baffles me though. Watching it the first time I thought each fighter clearly won two rounds and there was a close round that Hendricks won. Watching it again I still think Hendricks won 3 rounds to 2, but the first round was really close. I'm fine with people scoring the first round for GSP or 10-10.

Dana went off on the judges and he only gave GSP 1 round; I forget which it was now, 3 or 5. I don't see how Hendricks won 3 or 5. I thought Dana's scoring was worse than any of the judges scores. I didn't like his comments regarding GSP either. He could have been less publicly critical of him wanting to take some time off, especially as he had no idea what GSP's personal issues were at that time.

Don't forget that GSP's corner told him after the 3rd round that he was down 2-1. So they scored the 1st for Johny. Thus their opinion was that GSP had to win the last two rounds. When he lost the 4th, he needed to finish in the 5th. So I bet at the end of the fight that GSP's corner thought they had lost.

Is this based on what Ariel Helwani said? Zahabi was on the MMA Hour and the audio in between rounds 3 and 4 was replayed. Apparently all he said was 'it's 2 rounds to 1'. Ariel assumed Zahabi meant 2-1 for Hendricks because Ariel thought Hendricks clearly won the first round. Zahabi said that he meant GSP was up 2 to 1.

Re-watched the fight and round 1 was razor thin. 10-10 was probably just, no way either clearly won it.

Round 2 was obviously Hendricks, was the closest anyone got to finishing the fight.

Round 3 was tight as well, GSP won the striking game but then Hendricks got a take down without doing anything with it.

Round 4 tight again. Hendricks with the only take down and then let GSP up. Neither landed anything significant striking wise.

Round 5 was GSP's. Landed good strikes and got a take down.

What a tough fight to judge.

The worst thing about the fight is the last round, you could tell Hendricks thought he had it in the bag the way he was singing during the break and went out there to basically avoid the finish. Had he knew I reckon he could have won the fifth as well. Really stupid to fight to the scorecard.

I suspect alot of people were probably really romanced in the first round by the fact Hendricks didn't get owned. Going in against GSP especially the first round not getting destroyed had alot of people (me included) going "yes, this is going to be good" and that probably gave him the round to some. I think it was close but even after a third time i still give Johnny the first round.

10-8/10-9 rounds almost need to be on a fight by fight basis, eg. Rd 2 in this fight might be a 10-8 round but wouldn't be a 10-8 round in more wildly swinging fights (think Maynard v Edgar etc).

Agreed, I'd be much more liberal with 10-10 and 10-8 rounds if I were a judge.

I don't think the commissions would like that. The judges are instructed to stay away from 10-10 rounds. I've seen people who've taken the referee and judging course describe a 10-10 round as being extremely rare and that it's considered a unicorn. I don't like it but a judge has to score the fight how they're instructed to. I'd say part of the reason it's looked down upon is to avoid draws, which is pretty stupid.

10-8 rounds aren't as uncommon but it looks like they're instructed to only give 10-8 rounds when someone is completely and utterly dominated. Again, avoiding draws is probably a reason for making these so hard to get.

I don't know exactly what should be done but it's clear the system needs to be fixed. Machida/Rampage is a fight that demonstrates this very well. Two close rounds followed by a dominant round that wasn't a 10-8 for Machida means he's the logical winner imo. With the current system it's easy enough to see how Rampage gets the first two and the fight overall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back