MMA-UFC UFC 167 - GSP vs Hendricks

Remove this Banner Ad

The main card should just fight until someone losers
Take the BS out of it

Not really an option when your shows are on Pay-per-view because they have to stick to the time given to them. Rounds and time limits are also needed because nobody wants an extremely boring fight to keep going until somebody stops the opponent. It would also give ammunition to people who still think the sport is barbaric.

This is off topic, but you need to have weight classes, time limits, rounds and judging for the sport to be regulated. For the UFC to become mainstream and to survive they have to have these things. If they could fix the judging it would be good, but the 10 point must system will be hard to remove. Educating the officials would be the easiest option.

The problem with scoring is they still rely heavily on boxing and the only way to get a 10-8 round from most judges is to score a knockdown or a point be deducted.

I know they'd get mma training but the boxing mentality remains.

Not really an option when your shows are on Pay-per-view because they have to stick to the time given to them. Rounds and time limits are also needed because nobody wants an extremely boring fight to keep going until somebody stops the opponent. It would also give ammunition to people who still think the sport is barbaric.

UFC is in a position to dictate to pay tv now not the other way around
I do get the boring fight problem tho

I think having poor judges is the biggest problem; the fact that Cecil Peoples is somehow still allowed to judge shows that it's not up to scratch. The 10 point must system wouldn't be perfect even if it was utilised better imo. It's even worse because it's utilised poorly with nearly all rounds being scored 10-9. At the moment a 10-7 is realistically impossible to attain, it would require the referee to be abhorrently bad.

Scoring the fight in its entirety, rather than round by round, would probably be worse now because judging is still crap. With the 10 point must system we can say they scored round 3 incorrectly or whatever. Scoring the fight as a whole removes those sections of scoring that we can analyse. One FC score fights in their entirety. I haven't seen much of that promotion, who has and how has the judging been? I know MMAPride Scott watches their cards.

If judging is greatly improved years from now (I doubt it) then I think scoring the fight as a whole would make a whole lot of sense. Until then we're going to get more of Rampage/Machida and GSP/Hendricks, where the winner of the fight isn't necessarily the winner on the scorecard.

I'm not sure if it's been widely reported or not but I read a report with quotes in it yesterday from DW where he's quietly changed his opinion now and agrees with the NSAC that GSP won rds 1, 3 and 5. :confused:

He's a one of a kind. You don't make something like the UFC without being arrogant and wilfull and he's not slowing down when it comes to being a bit mental, either.
I watched the fight again, and I thought, like most, that it was all down to round 1 and that GSP probably did enough, but hopefully its the beginning of some real changes in the judgement of the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back