Podcast We Came, We Conquered - BF Port Podcast Ep. 2.07

Remove this Banner Ad

Macca19, FishingRick04 & TeeKray review the 33 point, Round 1 victory against Carlton at Etihad Stadium. From our poor starts and work at stoppages, to the stunning performances of Westhoff, Polec, Wines & Hombsch and the debuts of Impey & Clurey, we work out how and why we conquered Carlton.

Direct Link

Subscribe to us on iTunes

The BF Port Podcast is sponsored by Nieuvision

Previous Episodes

someone cranked the doritos with a few minutes to go :p

"can we google it? fat guy who coached port fitness?" lol

I always enjoy listening to the podcasts, particularly after a good win. You do port supporters a great service.

One thing that has had me rewatching the replay to check my recollection of the game versus the consensus was the bagging of Lobbe in the ruck.
He definitely had a shite first quarter, along with many.
Contrary to what was said in the podcast though, Lobbe rucked the start of the second quarter, with Trengove swapping in after our second goal.
Lobbe's work at the start of the third quarter for that entire run of goals was excellent, with the momentum changing when Trengove took over.
Lobbe was also good in the last quarter, and I didn't think it was odd that the ABC named him among their best.

I agree that Trengove is good as a part time ruckman, and fights with intensity, but to suggest that his stints in ruck were a key part of the outcome or turnaround is wrong.

The boundary throw in set ups were diabolical all night for all involved.

Love your thoughts fen9. Happy to agree to disagree. How many marks did Lobbe take? Also how many hit outs were to advantage? His positioning at the boundary throw ins was because he was too busy copying Warnock instead of playing his own game.

I didn't see Matt influence the game no where near enough, especially considering our history in the SANFL and AFl with dominant ruckman.

Let's not forget the TV commentators had Westhoff basically BOG in the first quarter. Just because one is near the ball frequently doesn't mean they are playing well.

Good discussion re the performance(s) of Jonas and Hombsch...who played in a back 6 that also included other talls Trengove, Pittard and Clurey. It's very important to remember that we've also got Carlile, O'Shea, Stevenson, Heath and swingman Stewart who are all (or will be) fighting for one of those spots. Have a look back at the teams for our first few rounds last year...most of those guys were playing. Our depth in defence is looking very healthy atm :cool:

Good discussion re the performance(s) of Jonas and Hombsch...who played in a back 6 that also included other talls Trengove, Pittard and Clurey. It's very important to remember that we've also got Carlile, O'Shea, Stevenson, Heath and swingman Stewart who are all (or will be) fighting for one of those spots. Have a look back at the teams for our first few rounds last year...most of those guys were playing. Our depth in defence is looking very healthy atm :cool:
Thanks Gents - great to hear Tredrea5589/TKRay, loved his posts on TPFP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey folks. Been thinking about ways to increase exposure of the BigFooty social media sites, and more specifically, generate more interest in the podcast. Assuming most people either access the podcast from this website or from Facebook (with significant overlap), it probably has a reach of ~200 listeners.

I think as a board we could easily use the size of our personal networks to extend that. What I am suggesting, is that people use the 'Invite to a Page' (or is it 'Suggest a Page') to invite their non-BF friends to the page, with specific emphasis in the podcast. Or, you could simply tag your friends in one of the post of the most recent podcast. If 30 of us linked 10 friends to the page/podcast we'd have... profit.

I have noticed that other fan-oriented pages use this as a strategy to drive interest, and the product being offered here is at least as strong IMO. And don't feel ashamed about spamming your friends, you are actually opening them up to something worthwhile (as opposed to Farmville) and saving them from the clutches of 5AA etc.

Anyway, just an idea. If you're willing to chip in it could go a long way. I am going to invite some friends to the page now. Cheers.

I think Lobbe was o.k but it did cross my mind that he was not very precise , hopefully he can build on his better second half

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

someone cranked the doritos with a few minutes to go :p

"can we google it? fat guy who coached port fitness?" lol

Haven't had a chance to listen yet, so I don't know if he was indeed named, but that was Daniel Comerford.

A woefully inadequate stopgap before the immensely overrated Cam Falloon was poached from the Bulldogs.

Haven't had a chance to listen yet, so I don't know if he was indeed named, but that was Daniel Comerford.

A woefully inadequate stopgap before the immensely overrated Cam Falloon was poached from the Bulldogs.

You are nothing if not a suppository of information.

Dos, don't forget alot of people download on Itunes. We should likely get a report of audience soon.

Either way I agree with your sentiments and we all should get on inviting.

Some good points in podcast re Jonas, I reckon he is a real gem in the sense that he was a rookie and generally thought of as a nobody, then his very first game he owned Hodge, and now is in the leadership group. He has become a very important cog, and a defender utility. In that first showdown last year, Walker looked like he was going to tear the game apart..I think it was Trengove who was on him? Jonas was switched onto him and shut him down. On Sunday after being a KP defender, then moved onto and negating Carlton captain Murphy in a midfield tagging role, proved his value

Excellent debut TeeKray, I'm looking forward to your continued contributions around here! You sound like an older version of myself :p. Scotty Cummins is one of the 3 league footballers my alma mater gas produced (amongst Paul Haselby and Luke Blackwell), and he's certainly my favourite! Great to have another first gen sandgroper on board.

Great podcast as usual, I don't have any discussion to add!

This is one of the best Podcasts imo. I could see TeeKray becoming a regular.

Just quickly (off to uni in a minute) had a look at Lobbe's stats from last year. http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-port-adelaide-power--matthew-lobbe?year=2013 Ignoring the early games where we were playing 2 ruckman, games where the oppostions ruckman was taller than Lobbe he struggled statistically. If I had time I'd whip up an average but as you can see Hitouts, disposals and tackles are all down when he came up against the likes of Leuenberger, Bailey and Jacobs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back