Toast Welcome to Fremantle Neil Erasmus (pick 10 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

And Erasmus vowed then and there that he would let himself be in the position of being relegated to sub in a Grand Final team, no matter how inexperienced he might be.

I keep naively clicking on this thread expecting to see an update on Erasmus training the house down and instead seeing discussion of something that happened when Erasmus was 9 years old. :tongueclosed:

Probably good outcome; people who TTHD rarely then succeed when we get to the season proper. I view it that everyone here is just setting him up for success.

On a serious note though, we won't know anything about how well it is going to go for him until the season kicks off proper. He will need a bit of luck for him to get the break he needs, but if he is in the right place at the right time I can't see why he won't succeed.

Just not sure about him. At pick 10 Freo could have chosen JVR. That could have completed our key position forwards especially if we get Logan MacDonald.

He is currently 5th or 6th in line for midfield with Johnson a fair bit ahead of him.

Look towards 2024 with our draft picks to trade in Logan. Imagine a forward half of

Walters Amiss Sturt
Switta/Jackson McDonald JVR

With Jackson rotating forward mid and Darcey resting forward. Fyfe spending time forward too.

Just not sure about him. At pick 10 Freo could have chosen JVR. That could have completed our key position forwards especially if we get Logan MacDonald.

He is currently 5th or 6th in line for midfield with Johnson a fair bit ahead of him.

Look towards 2024 with our draft picks to trade in Logan. Imagine a forward half of

Walters Amiss Sturt

With Jackson rotating forward mid and Darcey resting forward. Fyfe spending time forward too.
Too tall forward line, put Erasmus in there and stints in the middle 👍

Too tall forward line, put Erasmus in there and stints in the middle 👍

It is tall

I just don't know if he'll make it as a am elite mid. He might make it as a half forward but our other forwards recently recruited might end up better.

It is tall

I just don't know if he'll make it as a am elite mid. He might make it as a half forward but our other forwards recently recruited might end up better.
Amiss, Treacy, with McDonald?
If Josh leaves? But we also just took
Odin.
Emmett, Sturt, Erasmus would also be an interesting combo.
Small forwards are eventually going to bite.

Amiss, Treacy, with McDonald?
If Josh leaves? But we also just took
Odin.
Emmett, Sturt, Erasmus would also be an interesting combo.
Small forwards are eventually going to bite.

Emmett for sure. He's a bull. Erasmus I'm just not sure of with his kicking. I hope I'm wrong

Walters Amiss Sturt

If we’d taken JVR I don’t think we’d be courting McDonald as strongly as we are, in fact it could be that we’d already started pursuing him which is why we didn’t take JVR in the first place. At the time we already had Lobb, Tabs and Treacy in the squad, with Jackson being vigorously pursued as a Lobb replacement.

Walters Amiss Sturt

I don’t think we would have gotten Johnson if we’d taken JVR at 10. Good chance Dees pick him at 20 then we would be left with Chesser (wce would have taken Erasmus) or goater with pick 21.

I don’t think we would have gotten Johnson if we’d taken JVR at 10. Good chance Dees pick him at 20 then we would be left with Chesser (wce would have taken Erasmus) or goater with pick 21.
TBH there is every chance that we trade that pick in that scenario, so it really does change the whole draft

Likely get something in from a future year which probably just goes for Jackson? but then something later back, possibly grab Hough?would have been interesting for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m amazed that some posters are so critical of a young mid so early on in his career. Let’s see how he’s going at 50 games. I think the most significant factor for him is his points of difference to our young midfield stocks. He is predominantly inside, has height, has a history of forward craft and is a ferocious/tenacious tackler. Give him time.

I’m amazed that some posters are so critical of a young mid so early on in his career. Let’s see how he’s going at 50 games. I think the most significant factor for him is his points of difference to our young midfield stocks. He is predominantly inside, has height, has a history of forward craft and is a ferocious/tenacious tackler. Give him time.
Good points, it also didn’t help that we traded in Brodie the same year we drafted him and then JOM the next year, now this year we are talking about Fyfe moving back into the midfield and Young permanently in the middle means he doesn’t get the opportunity other top 10 midfielders get. Unlike Johnson who has a good outside game as well he either needs to push past 3 other inside mids or prove himself in another position (half forward the most likely) to get a game.

I know he is a young guy but his lack of pace concerns me. There are plenty of incredible midfielders that were not quick (Sam Mitchell ect) but the game has changed a fair bit and stopping a team defensively is now a critical part of the game.

I know he is a young guy but his lack of pace concerns me. There are plenty of incredible midfielders that were not quick (Sam Mitchell ect) but the game has changed a fair bit and stopping a team defensively is now a critical part of the game.
Never had your concern, having watched training he is a running machine. He might not be lightning but far from slow and with his natural fitness will find a lot of the ball. We need more footy players with his aggressive nature at the ball as well. Also your concern about his defensive side surprises me as I see him as a tackler with real intent, should end up like Brayshaw defensively in my mind.
I would turn your concern to Will Brodie, runs with the ruckmen at training due to fitness (or did when I saw his first preseason). He surprised me in his first year but now wondering if we will see him again.

Never had your concern, having watched training he is a running machine. He might not be lightning but far from slow and with his natural fitness will find a lot of the ball. We need more footy players with his aggressive nature at the ball as well. Also your concern about his defensive side surprises me as I see him as a tackler with real intent, should end up like Brayshaw defensively in my mind.
I would turn your concern to Will Brodie, runs with the ruckmen at training due to fitness (or did when I saw his first preseason). He surprised me in his first year but now wondering if we will see him again.
As far as I am concerned he is as fast as most AFL centre midfielders (yes there are 5% of players that are faster). He was a standout endurance runner in his draft year, albeit he couldn't test at the combine. If he has looked slow at AFL level it is more about making good quick decisions in general play, which can be hard for kids in their first 50 games. I would argue that Johnson has equally looked very slow at times and he is known to have a fast 20m sprint time.

Brodie when he originally tested in his draft year was pretty fast over short distances (he had a sub 3 second 20 metres) but I think the issue for him is his endurance over reasonable distances. I will stand corrected but so far there is no evidence from training to suggest that he is ahead of Erasmus this year.

Assuming no injuries (which is not a reasonable assumption) I still think he and Fyfe are vying for the last midfield spot, assuming Johnson is more outside and O'Meara is forward. As others have pointed out it probably makes sense on paper to start Fyfe as the Sub, but if he is fit as everyone is suggesting then I think Fyfe will start ahead of him.

As far as I am concerned he is as fast as most AFL centre midfielders (yes there are 5% of players that are faster). He was a standout endurance runner in his draft year, albeit he couldn't test at the combine. If he has looked slow at AFL level it is more about making good quick decisions in general play, which can be hard for kids in their first 50 games. I would argue that Johnson has equally looked very slow at times and he is known to have a fast 20m sprint time.

Brodie when he originally tested in his draft year was pretty fast over short distances (he had a sub 3 second 20 metres) but I think the issue for him is his endurance over reasonable distances. I will stand corrected but so far there is no evidence from training to suggest that he is ahead of Erasmus this year.

Assuming no injuries (which is not a reasonable assumption) I still think he and Fyfe are vying for the last midfield spot, assuming Johnson is more outside and O'Meara is forward. As others have pointed out it probably makes sense on paper to start Fyfe as the Sub, but if he is fit as everyone is suggesting then I think Fyfe will start ahead of him.
Johnson does look slow, but it seems it is a bit of an optical illusion caused by him being so tall.

This time next year I suspect Johnson and Erasmus are best 22 locks and are causing significant spikes in our optimism levels. Love getting the two of them plus Amiss in the one draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back