Toast Welcome to Fremantle Neil Erasmus (pick 10 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would turn your concern to Will Brodie, runs with the ruckmen at training due to fitness (or did when I saw his first preseason). He surprised me in his first year but now wondering if we will see him again.
That 3 year extension we gave him last year is starting to look dockery. He hasn’t played an AFL game since I don’t think

Don’t be sucked in by that west clickbait, he was never going to WCE regardless of being an NGA or not. Would have had to fall out of the top 20 picks for them to match which didn’t come close to happening.
I wouldn't see it as any stranger than MJ dropping to the second round. Johnson was rated higher for longer than Erasmus, and he clearly has some limitations

It's a cheap contract tho right? Not bad as depth.
Well we had this debate at length last year on here, I would think at an absolute minimum it’s $450-500k per annum, something like what connor Blakely was on in 2019-2022, if not more.
Remember Brodie was paid crazy money at the Gold Coast as a 3rd to 5th year player, over $600k per annum. Then After coming over here and having a great first season at freo in 2022, I don’t see any way he would have signed a 3 year deal on s**t money last March, when his stocks had literally never been higher at that point of his career. It would make no sense whatsoever. He played every single game in a great 2022 season for him personally and would have been negotiating thoughout the 2022-23 offseason from the standpoint of being a first choice inside midfielder for the 3 years he is now contacted for. First choice inside mids taken in the top 10 of the national draft at AFL clubs don’t play for $200k per annum plus match payments during their prime earning years in the comp when they are 25-28 year old. That’s the kinda contract I’d expect someone like Josh Corbett to be on.

Let’s hope Brodie can lift in 2024, get back in the team and justify his contract.

Never had your concern, having watched training he is a running machine. He might not be lightning but far from slow and with his natural fitness will find a lot of the ball. We need more footy players with his aggressive nature at the ball as well. Also your concern about his defensive side surprises me as I see him as a tackler with real intent, should end up like Brayshaw defensively in my mind.
I would turn your concern to Will Brodie, runs with the ruckmen at training due to fitness (or did when I saw his first preseason). He surprised me in his first year but now wondering if we will see him again.
I have never doubted the fitness of Erasmus - just his pace. He might have the intent of Brayshaw defensively, but that does not mean he has the weapons to execute. Brayshaw averages about 1 chase down tackle per game - am yet to see Erasmus do one.

Well we had this debate at length last year on here, I would think at an absolute minimum it’s $450-500k per annum, something like what connor Blakely was on in 2019-2022, if not more.
Remember Brodie was paid crazy money at the Gold Coast as a 3rd to 5th year player, over $600k per annum. Then After coming over here and having a great first season at freo in 2022, I don’t see any way he would have signed a 3 year deal on s**t money last March, when his stocks had literally never been higher at that point of his career. It would make no sense whatsoever. He played every single game in a great 2022 season for him personally and would have been negotiating thoughout the 2022-23 offseason from the standpoint of being a first choice inside midfielder for the 3 years he is now contacted for. First choice inside mids taken in the top 10 of the national draft at AFL clubs don’t play for $200k per annum plus match payments during their prime earning years in the comp when they are 25-28 year old. That’s the kinda contract I’d expect someone like Josh Corbett to be on.

Let’s hope Brodie can lift in 2024, get back in the team and justify his contract.
I'd say there is no chance he's on anywhere near that. He was coming off 25 games in 5 years and still had obvious flaws. He had a good 22 (his first one ever) but it's not like he came 4th in the Brownlow either.

Being picked in the top 10 is irrelevant with his history.

300 max.

I'd say there is no chance he's on anywhere near that. He was coming off 25 games in 5 years and still had obvious flaws. He had a good 22 (his first one ever) but it's not like he came 4th in the Brownlow either.

Being picked in the top 10 is irrelevant with his history.

300 max.
We will just have to agree to disagree on that one then I guess. To me there’s simply no way he took a 50% pay cut for the next 3 years after the season he just had. He was a salary dump who was paid for $600k in 2022, when he had the by far the best season of his career. It would go against every human instinct I’ve ever come across in this capitalist world we live in, for him and his agent to accept such a drastic cut in salary from a position of relative strength from a bargaining point of view (which he was in this time last year).

We will just have to agree to disagree on that one then I guess. To me there’s simply no way he took a 50% pay cut for the next 3 years after the season he just had. He was a salary dump who was paid for $600k in 2022, when he had the by far the best season of his career. It would go against every human instinct I’ve ever come across in this capitalist world we live in, for him and his agent to accept such a drastic cut in salary from a position of relative strength from a bargaining point of view (which he was in this time last year).
I thought we split his 600k over 2 years?

Gc owed him 600k in his final year but we took that and smoothed it out over 2 years

Which would mean 3 years at 300k wouldn't be a cut, would jsut be further security for him

I'd say he is on 350k minimum though

Your instincts are irrelevant if nobody is offering you what you used to get.

If you're going to invoke capitalism, then what you need is to find the other team that's laying down 600k for a bloke nobody wanted the year before at that very price. There is precisely no evidence available that club exists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels pretty crowded, I think he has a relatively high floor but nothing screams elite talent to me. Hope I’m wrong but all I see is solid B grader.

it's his kicking that's my concern and if he'll be good enough to start in the midfield

it's his kicking that's my concern and if he'll be good enough to start in the midfield
Inside mid doesn't have to have a brilliant kick.
A centre square with players like Erasmus, Johnson, Fyfe, O'Meara, Jackson, Darcy, Brodie & Young rotating through there is very big bodied.
I know our best mid this year, Serong is not mentioned, but I am pointing out the big bodies that can go through there & I think Erasmus will add lots.
It was one game at the MCG this year where he was brilliant & deserved a Rising Star nomination, but I reckon they didn't give it to him as they had not yet rewarded Johnson, whose body of work up until that game certainly deserved a nomination.
TLDR: Erasmus will be a very good inside mid for us, in the mould of Josh Dunkley

If you're going to invoke capitalism, then what you need is to find the other team that's laying down 600k for a bloke nobody wanted the year before at that very price. There is precisely no evidence available that club exists.
That would have been the case the previous year but after playing 25 odd games and averaging about 28 touches in 2022 his outlook would have transformed.
I also think people are not considering just how much the landscape of player pay has changed in the last 2 years and will continue to do so.
The average salary in 2022 was $406k, (can only assume it was higher in 2023) and by the time we get to the end of Brodie’s 3 year deal in 2026, the average salary will be over $500k, reaching $519k in the 2027 season at the end of this CBA.

I reckon it’s fanciful to think he’s signed up for $300k per annum all that time.
Some of the most marginal fringe players on the list will be getting $300k in 2025 and 2026 (excluding rookies and first and second year players).
193 players in the league were paid over $500k last year, and that figure is only going up from 2023 onwards. That’s a mean of 10.7 players per club.

I guess a point to note is that as the salary cap rises substantially then $400 to 450k is not really a huge salary anymore in the context of the overall cap.

That would have been the case the previous year but after playing 25 odd games and averaging about 28 touches in 2022 his outlook would have transformed.
I also think people are not considering just how much the landscape of player pay has changed in the last 2 years and will continue to do so.
The average salary in 2022 was $406k, (can only assume it was higher in 2023) and by the time we get to the end of Brodie’s 3 year deal in 2026, the average salary will be over $500k, reaching $519k in the 2027 season at the end of this CBA.

I reckon it’s fanciful to think he’s signed up for $300k per annum all that time.
Some of the most marginal fringe players on the list will be getting $300k in 2025 and 2026 (excluding rookies and first and second year players).
193 players in the league were paid over $500k last year, and that figure is only going up from 2023 onwards. That’s a mean of 10.7 players per club.

I guess a point to note is that as the salary cap rises substantially then $400 to 450k is not really a huge salary anymore in the context of the overall cap.
Agree to disagree.

Inside mid doesn't have to have a brilliant kick.
A centre square with players like Erasmus, Johnson, Fyfe, O'Meara, Jackson, Darcy, Brodie & Young rotating through there is very big bodied.
I know our best mid this year, Serong is not mentioned, but I am pointing out the big bodies that can go through there & I think Erasmus will add lots.
It was one game at the MCG this year where he was brilliant & deserved a Rising Star nomination, but I reckon they didn't give it to him as they had not yet rewarded Johnson, whose body of work up until that game certainly deserved a nomination.
TLDR: Erasmus will be a very good inside mid for us, in the mould of Josh Dunkley

I agree re inside mid doesn't have to be the best kick. I am not sure if he'll be that inside mid gun we need.

Admittedly he had a couple of really good games last season but was moved around the field like he was a chess piece by JLo.

I liked his game again6the swans in Sydney on the wing.

I think I'm best going over last seasons footage. I wonder how being a sub or getting subbed off doesn't help.

Need to roll with the median salary for players like Brodie though

The top 10 players on a list will take a massive chunk of the cap space

This is what im worth!
Well this is what were offering.
If you can do better , go for it.

Last edited:
I thought we split his 600k over 2 years?

Gc owed him 600k in his final year but we took that and smoothed it out over 2 years

Which would mean 3 years at 300k wouldn't be a cut, would jsut be further security for him

I'd say he is on 350k minimum though
Yes, this is what I thought we had done and spread the current value over more years. I'm guessing 350k like yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back