Toast Welcome to Fremantle Neil Erasmus (pick 10 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we split his 600k over 2 years?

Gc owed him 600k in his final year but we took that and smoothed it out over 2 years

Which would mean 3 years at 300k wouldn't be a cut, would jsut be further security for him

I'd say he is on 350k minimum though
Interesting point raised here that people often assume when there is a salary dump… and I don’t believe it’s correct.

If player X is contracted to earn $600k at a club and has one year left of that deal on guaranteed money, he’s not going to move to another club and spread the exact same amount of money out over 2 years.
It doesn’t work like that - it has to be substantially more $$ to tempt the player to make a move, but over a longer period.

- saw several people on the main BF board claim the same thing about Jack Bowes when the Cats took on his salary dump. Bowes left the Suns while owed $1.6 million over the next 2 years. That was guaranteed, contracted money for Bowes that someone has to pay him, no matter what, even if he refused to leave and rotted in the suns VFL side for the next 2 seasons. Worst case scenario he is guaranteed that $1.6m of money.

He didn’t just move to the cats and spread the $1.6 over 4 years. If he did that he would effectively be working for free for years 3 and 4 of his new deal. No player or agent is stupid enough to do that. We don’t know exactly of course, but as a minimum I’d guess Bowes and his agent said, fine - I’ll sign a 4 year deal at the cats worth $2m, and that means I’m basically adding an extra $200k per annum in years 3 and 4 to my existing (cast iron guaranteed) contract of $1.6 for the next 2 years.
Thereby spreading the $2m over 4 years he’s getting $500k per year for 4 years instead of $800k for 2 years and then nothing.

The same principle would have applied to Will Brodie but the numbers were smaller. He came across on a 2 year deal and I’d guess he added a second year to his exisiting $600k at maybe $200k or $250k for a total of about $850k for 2022 and 2023 combined.
He definitely didn’t move across and say “you know what, l love freo so much I’ll just play a second year for free, add another year into my current deal there Belly and just spread my guaranteed $600k salary next year across the next 2 years and don’t stress about paying me anything extra in 2023”.

Interesting point raised here that people often assume when there is a salary dump… and I don’t believe it’s correct.

If player X is contracted to earn $600k at a club and has one year left of that deal on guaranteed money, he’s not going to move to another club and spread the exact same amount of money out over 2 years.
It doesn’t work like that - it has to be substantially more $$ to tempt the player to make a move, but over a longer period.

- saw several people on the main BF board claim the same thing about Jack Bowes when the Cats took on his salary dump. Bowes left the Suns while owed $1.6 million over the next 2 years. That was guaranteed, contracted money for Bowes that someone has to pay him, no matter what, even if he refused to leave and rotted in the suns VFL side for the next 2 seasons. Worst case scenario he is guaranteed that $1.6m of money.

He didn’t just move to the cats and spread the $1.6 over 4 years. If he did that he would effectively be working for free for years 3 and 4 of his new deal. No player or agent is stupid enough to do that. We don’t know exactly of course, but as a minimum I’d guess Bowes and his agent said, fine - I’ll sign a 4 year deal at the cats worth $2m, and that means I’m basically adding an extra $200k per annum in years 3 and 4 to my existing (cast iron guaranteed) contract of $1.6 for the next 2 years.
Thereby spreading the $2m over 4 years he’s getting $500k per year for 4 years instead of $800k for 2 years and then nothing.

The same principle would have applied to Will Brodie but the numbers were smaller. He came across on a 2 year deal and I’d guess he added a second year to his exisiting $600k at maybe $200k or $250k for a total of about $850k for 2022 and 2023 combined.
He definitely didn’t move across and say “you know what, l love freo so much I’ll just play a second year for free, add another year into my current deal there Belly and just spread my guaranteed $600k salary next year across the next 2 years and don’t stress about paying me anything extra in 2023”.

I reckon it could happen if the player knows they're going to get delisted at the end of their contract.

It's either one year in the ressies at 600k and then career over, or two years at 600k with the chance to start fresh at a new club and an extra year to try salvage their career.

I'd say maybe an extra 100k, then there are tax advantages to income over 2 years vs 1

And then the big advantage is the ability to get another contract after those 2 years, which wouldn't have happened at the suns

I think Brodie and his manager knew they were likely out of the AFL after that last year at the suns, so would give up $$ for security, then they did it again to sign up longer at Freo, pretty smart really

Feel like he will reach at least a Jack Viney level and play a similar role.

He’s already really good at scraping in the clearances and preventing oppo clearances getting a hand in. Just being desperate as much as anything. The sort of thing that doesn’t hit the stats sheet but team mates and coaches would love.

His best work will absolutely be in the trenches. He won’t be the flashy player in open space, apart from potentially snagging a good mark or a nice goal here and there.

I reckon the next person to post about Will Brodie in the Neil Erasmus thread should get a suspension.

How are we going to get consistent gametime into Neil at AFL level?
A pick 10 in this third season needs to be playing games at the top level. Otherwise the inevitable outcome is Dylan Stephens/will Brodie/paddy dow type scenario where he ends up a bust at his original club.
I think he’s too good to be playing for Peel much longer… so is there a way we get him into the side at half back or half forward?

I’m curious where the “too good” to play for Peel comes from?

He hasn’t shown near the elite traits that Young, Serong , Brayshaw etc showed early
I’ve seen him dominate for Peel in various games over the past 2 years. Remember a 34 disposal effort where he was BOG in 2022 in his first season.
He does appear to have flatlined in his development a bit though.
His games at afl level have been fragmented I reckon which won’t have helped him. A lot of sub appearances and often only one or two games at a time before going out of the side.
I don’t believe he’s a complete bust but also agree he’s nothing like other players taken in that similar draft range such as Serong, young, Chapman, green, wanganeen Milera, even guys like Ben Hobbs at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He still seems quite small even in his third season no? I thought the idea was that he would be a big bodied mid.

I realise that it takes awhile for kids to build up an AFL body but I feel like he still looks the same as when he was drafted. Maybe I just need to see some before and after pics

I’m curious where the “too good” to play for Peel comes from?

He hasn’t shown near the elite traits that Young, Serong , Brayshaw etc showed early
This feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy. He has 2 positions: inside mid and medium fwd. In his first season, he gets to attend centre bounces especially in his first 2 games. Got his feet wet at the level, clearly wasn't best 22, but no matter, neither were Amiss or Johnson (granted, they had injury obstacles). Shows he's made of the right stuff and has a decent WAFL campaign, to the point that especially early in his 2nd season he starts getting hard tags.

Second season, he plays 59.2% wing, a role that he's wholly unsuited for, and to his credit he does everything he can do adapt to that role. Still ends up having some decent performances, especially the game against Collingwood. For what it's worth, when he got to play more fwd against West Coast, I thought he showed good fwd instincts (though he did a horror passing off a shot). Now he's back to being an inside mid/fwd.

It should surprise nobody that in that time, especially given his player profile, he hasn't unlocked an elite attribute (apart from defensive work rate/pressure which I think he excels at) when he's being pulled in many different directions. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get there in the end: he's talented enough and he definitely seems to have the necessary desire to succeed.

He/the club seem to know what he needs to work on most: he has plenty of time to put on size (which he has done, but not to the level of Johnson obviously), but in the past off-season he worked on improving his speed and burst from congestion (https://archive.md/7lCZt).

He still seems quite small even in his third season no? I thought the idea was that he would be a big bodied mid.

I realise that it takes awhile for kids to build up an AFL body but I feel like he still looks the same as when he was drafted. Maybe I just need to see some before and after pics
Your eye's a bit mad.
He's definitely bigger but still needs to bulk more for sure tho.

Your eye's a bit mad.
He's definitely bigger but still needs to bulk more for sure tho.
He's super lean - ripped, but lean. Needs a good 5-8kg of bulk on those shoulders and through the hips/core.

He's super lean - ripped, but lean. Needs a good 5-8kg of bulk on those shoulders and through the hips/core.

That's my perspective too. Johnson had a long time out with an ankle and used it to chonk up, pushing him ahead. I don't want an elite runner to damage his lower body but I do think Erasmus would come back like a wheelie bin with python arms if he did.

He needs games, not just the sub or a one off. Give him an actual shot of playing
Forward/mid.
We need to find that maniac pressure that we had once.
See what he can actually do, it might be the catalyst that helps our slow
starts. The guy is a workhorse the sub role just doesn’t make sense?

He needs games, not just the sub or a one off. Give him an actual shot of playing
Forward/mid.
We need to find that maniac pressure that we had once.
See what he can actually do, it might be the catalyst that helps our slow
starts. The guy is a workhorse the sub role just doesn’t make sense?
The price of getting JOM was Ras losing a spot in the b22. I warned y'all this would happen.

The price of getting JOM was Ras losing a spot in the b22. I warned y'all this would happen.
Nothing wrong with having players fight for a spot. But It really annoyed me that
JOM was added to the leadership group after 5min.
Then with this move Brodie has also gone missing? Last year really was a gap
year. It’s why the coach was under the pump and it’s understandable.

Nothing wrong with having players fight for a spot. But It really annoyed me that
JOM was added to the leadership group after 5min.
Then with this move Brodie has also gone missing? Last year really was a gap
year. It’s why the coach was under the pump and it’s understandable.
Yes , Jaeger addition has certainly interrupted Neil’s development and cost Will Brodie his spot in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back