News Welcome to Geelong - Jon Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

I can kind of see the logic in bringing in Ceglar as insurance - still, I really hope we are gung-ho on developing (and then retaining) Shannon Neale.

Moving forward we need to be one of those handful of clubs that carry an elite ruck on their lists - currently there are maybe 4 of those in the comp, and we ain't one of them.

No use crying over spilled milk, but I was all for pushing hard for Luke Jackson a couple of years ago - might've been a bit out of reach but we've seen the club orchestrate a number of tricky trades in recent years - would have been nice for the club to have used that kind of creative list building to have a red-hot crack at a kid that will be one of the premier big men in the comp for years to come.

Ceglar as a back-up/challenger to Stanley's ''throne'' for the next two years was a pretty conservative move.
I hope he goes well for us of course, but an injury-prone guy who has never played 20 games in a season - who will be 31 once the 2022 season starts - doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence that we've finally addressed the ruck issue 11 years after Brad Ottens retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I think he’ll be good for you. Gives you a better option as a tap ruck than Stanley, without taking Blitz out of your defence.

Improves your ruck depth as you push for a flag next year. And he cost you bugger all.

100 games from #59 is a good return for the draft capital invested - but has he been injury-prone the entirety of his Hawthorn career, or mainly stuck behind McEvoy?

100 games from #59 is a good return for the draft capital invested - but has he been injury-prone the entirety of his Hawthorn career, or mainly stuck behind McEvoy?

He was behind Max Bailey/McEvoy and Hale during the three peat. And played second fiddle to McEvoy once Hale retired.

He did his ACL towards the end of 2016 and but has been pretty durable otherwise. Think he might have had an issue with his toe for a bit once he came back from the ACL.

He was behind Max Bailey/McEvoy and Hale during the three peat. And played second fiddle to McEvoy once Hale retired.

He did his ACL towards the end of 2016 and but has been pretty durable otherwise. Think he might have had an issue with his toe for a bit once he came back from the ACL.
A lot don't rate him i do and wish we had him a few years ago, I look forward to watching him and changing
peoples thoughts about him.

Should bring down your ave age as well.
We have more picks inside 35 than you, and you're the club rebuilding.
Guess no one showed up to Telemarketer Sammy's yard sale :laughv1:

I might be in the minority on the Hawks board but I always rated what Cegs bought to our side.

When he is "on" he is a legit AFL ruck, more than just capable.

His issue has always been consistency but for what you paid I think you have got a pretty good deal here fellas.

Hope he does well for you lot, he is a nice bloke and deserves another crack.

I might be in the minority on the Hawks board but I always rated what Cegs bought to our side.

When he is "on" he is a legit AFL ruck, more than just capable.

His issue has always been consistency but for what you paid I think you have got a pretty good deal here fellas.

Hope he does well for you lot, he is a nice bloke and deserves another crack.
I have a long memory of a previous ruck we picked up from Hawthorn. He was broken on arrival, and in his only game for us, was more broken.
Really hope Ceglar is not in this category. Referring to DAVID LOATS.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been mentioned anywhere previously on any other thread

But in trying to find a quote - re from the player himself about joining Geel - i came accross an article - which said amongst other things

Ceglar finished 21 season strongly - in his last 5 games of 21 - he averaged 17.6 disposals - 11 contested . 24 hitouts 5.2 clearances and 2.2 contested marks

There good numbers - and it is good he finished the season in good form - a bit older than Fort - but probably got more polish and better ruck craft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back