News Welcome to Geelong - Jon Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re cherry picking stats there.

Champion Data on those floggings.
V Lycett 113-116
V Darcy 103-183
V Grundy 99-107

I’ll give you one touch up in 8 weeks, mind you that was by the hottest player in the comp during that period.

Reckon this is gunna work out alright for the cats.

Don't get me wrong, I like the selection. "Soundly beaten" was probably a bit strong, but the original article pumping up his last five games average was also misleading. He'll be solid.

Cegs will pull out a few really great games, followed by some absolutely frustrating games. It's been the inconsistency that's been annoying.
His best games this year came after he was dropped for Reeves (Who performed admirably for us) and then he got back in when Reeves got injured.

Not going to get you huge amounts of taps to advantage, but will be solid for you.

Cegs will pull out a few really great games, followed by some absolutely frustrating games.
Literally Rhys Stanley. If we can get a psychic down at the club to tell when each is going to play their good games and their absolutely abhorrent games we'll be sweet.

I remember a few years ago he took Stanley apart like how legit big rucks can from time to time.
Cegs is 204cm and actually younger than Stanley + has a better win/loss tap ratio (he won't be mauled like Stanley can be by bigger rucks).
People saying he is just backup or will play out the play in the VFL have way too much faith in Stanley (a guy that has let us down for years)
I think he will be our #1 & we got him for basically nothing.
Very sound pickup.

My head-scratching starts and ends with Ratugolea.
I just don't think he is a good ruck, a good forward or a good footballer... But Scott loves him for some reason.
You certainly wouldn't think we would play all 3 in the same side without injuries.

In Chris Scott we trust :(

Cegs will pull out a few really great games, followed by some absolutely frustrating games. It's been the inconsistency that's been annoying.
His best games this year came after he was dropped for Reeves (Who performed admirably for us) and then he got back in when Reeves got injured.

Not going to get you huge amounts of taps to advantage, but will be solid for you.
Solid in what way if it's not by getting taps to advantage? We don't need another key forward.

Solid in what way if it's not by getting taps to advantage? We don't need another key forward.
For years we've been crying out for a ruckman who is capable of realising he's 200+ cm and can just stand under the ball with his arms in the air. Stand in the way of the other ruckman at a ball-up and look interested if he's beaten. Throw his weight around in contests against smaller men. It's not a high bar at Geelong.

I remember a few years ago he took Stanley apart like how legit big rucks can from time to time.
Cegs is 204cm and actually younger than Stanley + has a better win/loss tap ratio (he won't be mauled like Stanley can be by bigger rucks).
People saying he is just backup or will play out the play in the VFL have way too much faith in Stanley (a guy that has let us down for years)
I think he will be our #1 & we got him for basically nothing.
Very sound pickup.

My head-scratching starts and ends with Ratugolea.
I just don't think he is a good ruck, a good forward or a good footballer... But Scott loves him for some reason.
You certainly wouldn't think we would play all 3 in the same side without injuries.

In Chris Scott we trust :(
Are they both not 30 years old?

Lycett doubled his hit outs, Darcy almost doubled his disposals, Grundy had 50% more hit outs.

Those stats are misleading though because grundy and darcy basically ruck 90 %of the game as they dont play a dedicated second ruck. Whereas almost all ceglars games he played with mcevoy or reeves in so he was attending less centre bounces etc. What you need is a stat that weights ruckmens hitouts as a %of their TOG ie hitouts per minute and im not sure champion data releases that.

For years we've been crying out for a ruckman who is capable of realising he's 200+ cm and can just stand under the ball with his arms in the air. Stand in the way of the other ruckman at a ball-up and look interested if he's beaten. Throw his weight around in contests against smaller men. It's not a high bar at Geelong.
I'm not even sure it's worth having someone like that in the side if that's all they're going to do. Isn't that why Fort couldn't get a game?

Ceglar is 11 months older than Max Gawn and 8 month younger than Nic Naitanui. He is 3 years older than Brodie Grundy, but 3 years younger than Todd Goldstein.

Different footballers are different ages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pleased with this trade. Stanley looks good when he is fresh and is they play them alternatively over the season and keep them both reasonably fresh we will be well placed come finals. I can’t see them playing too often in the same team though.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Those stats are misleading though because grundy and darcy basically ruck 90 %of the game as they dont play a dedicated second ruck. Whereas almost all ceglars games he played with mcevoy or reeves in so he was attending less centre bounces etc. What you need is a stat that weights ruckmens hitouts as a %of their TOG ie hitouts per minute and im not sure champion data releases that.

AFL Stats Pro has the percentage of hitouts won based on the number of ruck contests they attend, which I find useful. I also like the hitout to advantage percentage. Some quick stats:

Ceglar

Hitouts won %: 45.9
Hitouts to advantage %: 26.1

Career
Hitouts won %: 43.9
Hitouts to advantage %: 24.6

Stanley

Hitouts won %: 38.7
Hitouts to advantage %: 28.4

Career
Hitouts won %: 38.3
Hitouts to advantage %: 27.7

So that would suggest that Ceglar is more likely to win the ruck contest, but when Stanley does win it he is more likely to hit it to advantage. It also suggests that the opposition ruckman is more likely to get on top of Stanley than Ceglar. I'd love to see a stat for the opposition's hit out to advantage percentage, but I'm way too lazy to go through each game and collate it all.

Of course, as with all stats, there is a whole bunch of context and nuance missing. And just for comparison's sake:

Gawn

Hitouts won %: 58.2
Hitouts to advantage %: 31.7

Career
Hitouts won %: 55.1
Hitouts to advantage %: 32.8

Naitanui

Hitouts won %: 52.9
Hitouts to advantage %: 39.3

Career
Hitouts won %: 53.4
Hitouts to advantage %: 29.6

There's an interesting comparison to be made with Tom Hickey who I think most of us spent a lot of last season thinking "gee he would've been a surprisingly good pickup". Same age, career averages look very similar.

Pretty mobile around the field and a pretty decent mark. He'll certainly win taps, it's just whether he can direct the ball to one of his team mates advantage. Rather than winning the tap and hitting it straight to a player 3 feet away surrounded by the entirety of the other teams midfield, causing another ball up.
It's why a lot of Hawks fans like the look of young Reeves, he'll tap the ball to someone in space.

Pretty mobile around the field and a pretty decent mark. He'll certainly win taps, it's just whether he can direct the ball to one of his team mates advantage. Rather than winning the tap and hitting it straight to a player 3 feet away surrounded by the entirety of the other teams midfield, causing another ball up.
It's why a lot of Hawks fans like the look of young Reeves, he'll tap the ball to someone in space.
Cheers. It's a good point. A good tap ruckman who can direct the ball to teammates in space is a huge advantage and something we haven't had since Ottens. I haven't seen much of Reeves but sounds like he could be a handy player for you guys to develop. Tbh, I'm not expecting Ceglar to be much of an improvement on Fort, but we can't begrudge Fort for requesting to be traded.

He's capable and i wish him well. He may well have had a level of complacency of "Oh well, i'll get a game cause there's not really any one else" but was driven to perform in the back half of the season simply because Reeves had won his spot and (by all appearances) only lost it due to injury which gave Cegs the chance to come in again. His first game back in he absolutely dominated, so you couldn't drop him from that. Might be the pressure to hold his spot drove his performance up %10. If he could have %65-%75 of his matches like his last half a dozen, he'll be a grand player for you.

While you’re at it also whack up his opponent and their score.

We actually got him + a F4 for Fort so not complaining but he is bog ordinary depth cover. Unlike Stanley you can’t play him against the premier jumping rucks but he is no doubt better than Fort in the ruck.

Age is irrelevant bc Neale and Taps are still 24 months away. I find it more interesting with Esava. I honestly thought that as he got more experienced and confident at the level that he would transition into the ruck which would be easier for him than key forward.

I see Esava as being too timid at centre bounces, he looks like he wants to be anywhere but there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back