News Welcome to Geelong - Jon Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers. It's a good point. A good tap ruckman who can direct the ball to teammates in space is a huge advantage and something we haven't had since Ottens. I haven't seen much of Reeves but sounds like he could be a handy player for you guys to develop. Tbh, I'm not expecting Ceglar to be much of an improvement on Fort, but we can't begrudge Fort for requesting to be traded.

Very good point - and you are nearly right - but i disagree with Ottens

Ive posted this before - but re the bolded - the best ruck performance ive seen doing precisely that in the last 20 years for Geel ( and he did it for the 1st half ) was believe it or not Orren Stephenson re the game against Haw ( Hawkins after the siren one ) and the proof is in the pudding - at qtr time it was something like 9 goals to 2 Geel way - he just at the centre bounce - with a big spring - palmed the ball straight down a midfielders throat - and Geel were off and gone - it was just a delight to watch - and he made it look easy - he knew exactly what he was doing

How often do you see a ruckman put the pill down the throat of a rover these days not much at centre bounces,some sides set up really well at stoppages so a few there but it's not that common as it once was.

Naitanui easily the best going around for that imo. Some of his ruck work is poetry.

I remember a few years ago he took Stanley apart like how legit big rucks can from time to time.
Cegs is 204cm and actually younger than Stanley + has a better win/loss tap ratio (he won't be mauled like Stanley can be by bigger rucks).
People saying he is just backup or will play out the play in the VFL have way too much faith in Stanley (a guy that has let us down for years)
I think he will be our #1 & we got him for basically nothing.
Very sound pickup.

My head-scratching starts and ends with Ratugolea.
I just don't think he is a good ruck, a good forward or a good footballer... But Scott loves him for some reason.
You certainly wouldn't think we would play all 3 in the same side without injuries.

In Chris Scott we trust :(

They've played against each other 3 times.

2018 Hawthorn won by 11 points
Stanley (Blicavs had 19 hitouts)
1 kick
1 mark
3 handballs
14 hitouts
0 clearances

Ceglar (Pittonet had 25 hitouts)
6 kicks
5 marks
3 handballs
1 goal
23 hitouts
1 clearance

2020 Geelong won by 61 points.
Stanley (Sav as backup)
10 kicks
3 marks
4 handballs
2 goals
26 hitouts
6 clearances

Ceglar
4 kicks
2 marks
9 handballs
30 hitouts
4 clearances

2021 Geelong won by 5 points (both Blicavs and McEvoy also rucked in this match)
Stanley
7 kicks
3 marks
8 handballs
8 hit outs
1 clearance

Ceglar
7 hand balls
15 hitouts
1 clearance

Very good point - and you are nearly right - but i disagree with Ottens

Ive posted this before - but re the bolded - the best ruck performance ive seen doing precisely that in the last 20 years for Geel ( and he did it for the 1st half ) was believe it or not Orren Stephenson re the game against Haw ( Hawkins after the siren one ) and the proof is in the pudding - at qtr time it was something like 9 goals to 2 Geel way - he just at the centre bounce - with a big spring - palmed the ball straight down a midfielders throat - and Geel were off and gone - it was just a delight to watch - and he made it look easy - he knew exactly what he was doing
Believe it or not I missed the first quarter of that match. Tuned in to see the hawks peg us back (not quite!). You don't think Ottens was a great tap ruckman?

AFL Stats Pro has the percentage of hitouts won based on the number of ruck contests they attend, which I find useful. I also like the hitout to advantage percentage. Some quick stats:

Ceglar

Hitouts won %: 45.9
Hitouts to advantage %: 26.1

Career
Hitouts won %: 43.9
Hitouts to advantage %: 24.6

Stanley

Hitouts won %: 38.7
Hitouts to advantage %: 28.4

Career
Hitouts won %: 38.3
Hitouts to advantage %: 27.7

So that would suggest that Ceglar is more likely to win the ruck contest, but when Stanley does win it he is more likely to hit it to advantage. It also suggests that the opposition ruckman is more likely to get on top of Stanley than Ceglar. I'd love to see a stat for the opposition's hit out to advantage percentage, but I'm way too lazy to go through each game and collate it all.

Of course, as with all stats, there is a whole bunch of context and nuance missing. And just for comparison's sake:

Gawn

Hitouts won %: 58.2
Hitouts to advantage %: 31.7

Career
Hitouts won %: 55.1
Hitouts to advantage %: 32.8

Naitanui

Hitouts won %: 52.9
Hitouts to advantage %: 39.3

Career
Hitouts won %: 53.4
Hitouts to advantage %: 29.6
Missing from the Ceglar/Stanley comparative stats is details of who each was competing against, ie the opposition first or second ruckman.

I know we didn't see much of him out on the field, but he was something of a good luck charm for the club's he had played with along the way - across his 13 year playing career, his clubs won 4 premierships even though he didn't feature in any of those grand finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cegs biggest contribution for the cats may be his tutelage for Conway. Let’s hope he’s passed on his knowledge.

You guys never really saw the best of big Cegs.

He was up and down during his time at the Hawks but when he was "on" he was an absolute top notch ruck/forward.

That knee he did probably curtailed what was going to be a great career but credit to him for preserving and making a career in the leauge regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back