List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Never knew him when he was playing. I rely on you being correct here, CE, but I will forget that name as soon as this page clicks over ;)

What was his story?
It's not really the go-home of the type ButterMill was referring, hence the emoticon.

But Murphy came to Geelong from Carlton and returned to Carlton after a falling out (rumoured physical punch-on) with Geelong players that was said to stem from the Milburn-Silvagni incident.

Well apparently the players can learn the game on the job these days, so therefore why would pure ability matter? We can teach any player to play any position don't forget.

Apart from Blitz, which other player falls into your " can learn the game on the job" category.
And by on the job I presume you mean the AFL 22 and that you are happy for them to learn in the VFL.

I would have thought that all players learn on the job actually as most improve from the day they are drafted till when the delist, retire etc.

But back to your sarcastic point - who are you aiming this one at or was it just the list in general getting your swipe.

GO Catters

I think many close followers of footy, regardless of their club, would say that Wells is one of the best, if not the best recruiter in the game. That is the difference. Yes we do not get low draft picks because we are always in the finals but we know what Wells can do with higher draft picks - so it is possible that he has worked his magic again and we do have some real talent coming thru - players who will be guns. They are just not there yet. They are either too raw or are yet to appear in the senior side.

Then again maybe other recruiters have got better over the years and it is harder to get the picks he once did. Or Wells has peaked and is not as good as he once was - or he has lost his people and that has made harder for him.

We will only know this in about 3-4 years time I guess.

I agree but I think there is a feeling thats out there contrary to that , portrayed in this post by one Carlton supporter on on the DT&FA board when talking about Recruiter performance.. Factual no , but perception yes.......

Geelong:
2010: Smedts
2011: Hamling
2012: Thurlow
2013: Lang

All Geelongs first selections through the past 4 years.
All of a sudden Wells doesn't look quite the genius many have touted him to be.
I know it's early and all that, but just goes to show that it may take more than just players that make up the right mix.

Even the best recruiters need to have a some early picks to work with. P10 this year for NC , but I wonder long term if we still amy need a couple more single figure types. Painful but I wonder if that GWS deal for SJ may have been in best long term interest. Even with Nakia , we have pushed the pick , he may be looked back on as a Dangerfield or Selwood who slipped thru , but there is a reason , and it due to his history. So to get high end talent , we have rolled the dice on the player who has a cloud , yet again.

Apart from Blitz, which other player falls into your " can learn the game on the job" category.
And by on the job I presume you mean the AFL 22 and that you are happy for them to learn in the VFL.

I would have thought that all players learn on the job actually as most improve from the day they are drafted till when the delist, retire etc.

But back to your sarcastic point - who are you aiming this one at or was it just the list in general getting your swipe.

GO Catters
Isn't he just emphasising that the trend these days at Geelong is for players and especially the young ones is that they are expected to learn to play more than one position right from the start and Blitz is one for sure but it's deeper than that it's a strategy in my opinion and a good one if your not taking players to fill a need and we do seam to go for best available in the draft of late.

We well and truly are. It seems we are using SA as our "overseas".

Edit: Unless Wells and crew think all the players they have looked at are spuds.

Maybe the club's scouting overseas is as discreet as it is with the local guys.

Hard to see Wells & Co consistently running under the radar with their recruitments here then going overseas with lights and cameras.

And they're not likely to go announcing it on social media either.

Just a thought.

Could be wrong. Always am when I'm not right :D

Maybe the club's scouting overseas is as discreet as it is with the local guys.

Hard to see Wells & Co consistently running under the radar with their recruitments here then going overseas with lights and cameras.

And they're not likely to go announcing it on social media either.

Just a thought.

Could be wrong. Always am when I'm not right :D

It worked OK with Boak. ;)

Isn't he just emphasising that the trend these days at Geelong is for players and especially the young ones is that they are expected to learn to play more than one position right from the start and Blitz is one for sure but it's deeper than that it's a strategy in my opinion and a good one if your not taking players to fill a need and we do seam to go for best available in the draft of late.

I got soaked in sarcasm reading his post hence my reply.

I agree that CS seems to endorse a multi positional learning to the game these days. And it certainly has its merits - although I feel that it really should only happen once a player has a good handle on one position.

Go Catters

I agree that CS seems to endorse a multi positional learning to the game these days. And it certainly has its merits - although I feel that it really should only happen once a player has a good handle on one position.

Go Catters
Good point Daz. While I feel it's been handy at times to have multi-functional players, especially during injury-ravaged rounds, it certainly brings to mind the old saying "jack of all trades, master of none".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree but I think there is a feeling thats out there contrary to that , portrayed in this post by one Carlton supporter on on the DT&FA board when talking about Recruiter performance.. Factual no , but perception yes.......

Geelong:
2010: Smedts
2011: Hamling
2012: Thurlow
2013: Lang

All Geelongs first selections through the past 4 years.
All of a sudden Wells doesn't look quite the genius many have touted him to be.
I know it's early and all that, but just goes to show that it may take more than just players that make up the right mix.

Even the best recruiters need to have a some early picks to work with. P10 this year for NC , but I wonder long term if we still amy need a couple more single figure types. Painful but I wonder if that GWS deal for SJ may have been in best long term interest. Even with Nakia , we have pushed the pick , he may be looked back on as a Dangerfield or Selwood who slipped thru , but there is a reason , and it due to his history. So to get high end talent , we have rolled the dice on the player who has a cloud , yet again.

Mmmm not sure what that shows. We will know on Smedts by the end of this year, yes possibly a dud but was rated pretty highly by many in that draft, Hamling was pick 32 after we gave up p26 which gave us Hamling and Kersten - if Kersten can show more of what he did in his first 4 games before the knee flaring could well be a win. Hamling just couldn't break into one of the strongest backlines we've ever had and has found opportunity elsewhere, hopefully makes use of it, I liked him. Wells obviously realized the picks available at 26 weren't looking great, Kerridge and Yeo probably the only ones that have showed anything between 26-31, hardly stamping themselves on the game. Would rather Kersten at this stage. And the few before p26 haven't done much either. Looks like that draft was pretty shallow to p15.

Thurlow has had a pretty horror run with injuries but has looked very classy and composed for a kid when he's been out there, could be a huge win for us and Lang debuted in his first year and looks to have the traits.

Whoever wrote that needs to get back to us in 12-24 months.

Last edited:
Can we think of a Cats player that has wanted to 'go home'? Christensen had complicating circumstances. Ablett got a mill a year. Mummy was getting more coin. Moloney was traded. Chappy wanted more games and more years.

I can't think of a go home player. Likely my memory rather than there not being one.
The 'go away' factor allegedly got those two.

But think about it, when was the last time we had a young player break in to the team who you thought was a really exceptional mark, or kick? Whose number one attribute was out of the box football skills? It's been a while. The only one I can closely think of was Duncan with his kicking, which was very very good from the start.

But think about it, when was the last time we had a young player break in to the team who you thought was a really exceptional mark, or kick? Whose number one attribute was out of the box football skills? It's been a while. The only one I can closely think of was Duncan with his kicking, which was very very good from the start.
Id say Kersten's first 4 games were pretty good. The rest not so much.
Hartman was not horrible but probably not the " bang" you are looking for.
Having not seen other clubs games im not aware of others that have come in to the level you refer. Perhaps Wines? Dunstan?

Go Catters

Mmmm not sure what that shows. We will know on Smedts by the end of this year, yes possibly a dud but was rated pretty highly by many in that draft, Hamling was pick 32 after we gave up p26 which gave us Hamling and Kersten - if Kersten can show more of what he did in his first 4 games before the knee flaring could well be a win. Hamling just couldn't break into one of the strongest backlines we've ever had and has found opportunity elsewhere, hopefully makes use of it, I liked him. Wells obviously realized the picks available at 26 weren't looking great, Kerridge and Yeo probably the only ones that have showed anything between 26-31, hardly stamping themselves on the game. Would rather Kersten at this stage. And the few before p26 haven't done much either. Looks like that draft was pretty shallow to p15.

Thurlow has had a pretty horror run with injuries but has looked very classy and composed for a kid when he's been out there, could be a huge win for us and Lang debuted in his first year and looks to have the traits.

Whoever wrote that needs to get back to us in 12-24 months.

SS , I didn't want to quote it out of thread but its there in the DT&FA board under http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/recruiters-performance.1081676/ ... post 19

what does its show? JD's post that I quoted referred to the Wells being accepted as one of , if not the the best. All I was trying to do was show that not all think as we do. IMO , Wells , with the picks he has had , has been as good as anyone. I doubt anyone could have done better. Mistakes.., sure but his selections also were taken with list balance and requirements in mind. The next few years may confirm his status I feel, if guys like Cockatoo and Thurlow let alone Hartman can become players.

I think that the GFC recruit players that they think will be content to live in Geelong- before Partridge pops in his acidic comments, I'll qualify that this would be one of the fairly late stages of narrowing down the selection, as would be the character type.
There are plenty of choices- yes, we've probably missed quite a few stars when weeding out players that may not be suited to the Geelong way of life but an unhappy or unsettled player will not reach his potential, so why waste time developing them when you can put time into someone who will stay long enough to put something back into the club?

In all seriousness, do people really think this is an obstacle these days? The money players make they can live very, very well in either Geelong or the western parts of Melbourne. And there is no shortage of nice properties in either.

In all seriousness, do people really think this is an obstacle these days? The money players make they can live very, very well in either Geelong or the western parts of Melbourne. And there is no shortage of nice properties in either.
I'd expect the club would arrange accommodation in Geelong for all the new young draftees, considering the amount of time they need to spend at training, etc. Of course they can move to Melb if they choose but I think most- if not all- the younger players stay in Geelong for at least their first few years.

Go Catters
I certainly agree with that as a philosophy in normal times but there has been nothing normal about this team over the last decade we have had champions in most positions with endurance and ability to preform week in week out and not give anyone a look in so for a new young player to enhance his chances of getting a game he needed to be come or be made more flexible.On saying that our circumstances are now changing and I posted some where just recently that I thought it was time to again settle a few players in one spot,firstly to see if they could hold it down and secondly it helps in developing game plans and strategies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back