What does BenKen need to do to get a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously.. Buckley is cursed.. i'm sure of it..

BenKen, Macaffer, Scharenberg, Freeman, Moore (toe), Sinclair, Sidebottom, Greenwood, Karnezis (OP), Brown, Reid, Fasolo, Seedsman, Young, Marsh...

Keefe and Thomas (banned substances)

All have been sidelined for between 6 weeks and a year.

This is what we have had to deal with the last 2-3 seasons..
If you want to look at why we are going backwards, this is a pretty good starting point.

So theres no reliable source?

But more to the point, if true, could be another one we say goodbye for the season.

The kid has glandular fever (reportedly), he hasn't had his leg cut off. Bit of an overreaction to cut him at the end of the year.

If the club reacted how some on this place want too there would never have been a Swanny. If the club thinks he has a real future that should be patient. He is sick, not disabled.

We just have no luck and appear to be cursed.

I posted in another thread a little while back that we do things big at Collingwood.

-- We don't just get common colds or gastro, we get glandular fever.

-- We don't sprain ankles, we fracture them.

-- We don't dislocate thumbs, we fracture them.

-- We don't take cocaine cut with baby powder, we take it cut with PEDs.

FMD and FML

If Ben Kennedy has glandular fever he should be hawked around the SA clubs as an early season special. If he does not show us this year why we drafted him, he never will!

Adelaide had a kid play on the weekend who was in his fourth year and has just cracked it for a game. Some take longer than others. The kid has talent. We need to take a long term view. If we think he is good enough then we should be patient.

If true that he has Gladular Fever, I feel extremely bad for the bloke I got it a couple of years ago. It's a debilitating illness and knocked me around pretty badly, even now I still haven't recovered from it fully.
Hopefully he only has a mild case and speedy recovery.
Can't wait to see BenKen in the black and white again they bloke is going to be a serious player.
But * we've had some badluck, the football gods obviously weren't happy we won a flag.

Why do people keep saying he doesn't have the tank? Didn't he just have an injury free pre season? The guy attacks the contest and pill at full speed harder than anyone. If he isn't getting a game due to illness then fair enough though.

Seems like we have all the ingredients for a "Perfect Storm"
Not long ago (February) we'd had a great pre season and only Shaz and Caff were long term injuries. Reid was an unknown quantity but the club had sent him to Germany to meet the guru and even Reidy was looking a likely starter come round one. The boys coming back from surgery (Pendles, Swanny, Seeds and Witts) seemed on track to slot in by round one and only Darcy Moore's toe sprain caused any flutters. Then along came the NAB cup and things went pear shaped again. Swanny and Pendles struggled (as would anyone after limited pre seasons and surgery) Witts, Seeds and Reid were held back and when Greenwood snapped his ankle we lost our replacement "hard nut" midfielder. No probs though.....everyone else is going well....he'll be back by the bye. (So between February and the end of the NAB....we'd gone from 2 unavailable to 6.)

The week leading into round one was chocablock with the Lions fans and the media baiting Collingwood about Beamer's departure and just before the teams were picked (and with the Essendon drugs saga reaching a disappointing crescendo) two of our own were red carded for PED's. The loss of another two senior players took the tally to 8 before a shot was fired in anger.

Round one materialised and we were long shots in the media to beat the Lions up at the Gabba. The boys did a great job and brought home a win but it cost us our most in form and damaging midfielder when Sidey busted his thumb. So between February and April we'd gone from 2 unavailables to 9.

Now week two's behind us and after playing the hotshot crows (perhaps the most inform team in the League) we lost another player to a 6-8 week injury. Sinkers hamstring takes our current list of unavailables to 10.

Now in a list of 40 odd...assuming that 12 were assumed at the start of the year to be youngsters unlikely to be pushed forward for senior duty, with 10 unavailable currently that leaves about twenty five fit bods to take on the next 6-8 weeks. So many of our players are young, inexperienced and just starting their AFL careers. The optimist in me remembers 1986 when a crop of kids came up together from the under 19's into the seniors. They all went on to have fantastic careers at the club and built the 1990 premiership team, but it took 4 years (and multiple changes of coach) to get there.

10 weeks ago Bucks could not have envisaged a midfield without Pendles, Swan, Adams, Sidebottom, Thomas or Greenwood but on Friday night there's a distinct possibility he will be faced with this dilemna. Some will call it terrible luck, opposition supporters will revel in our inadequacy, yet there's nothing for it....it is what it is.

I read with interest that Richmond consider this weekend's match a "line in the sand game" and I sort of think they're jumping the gun a little, I hate to think what the Tiges would do with 10 senior players out. Having witnessed several of these "Line in the sand games" (and trust me the 1958 GF was the ultimate version of this) I think that you really have to be faced with almost certain extinction to play one. We're not there yet....but for Buck's boys (and they really are boys) that time might be coming sometime in the next 6-8 weeks. Until we get those senior players back and running at 85% of their capacity our game plan will be survival. Pies fans well know the "backs to the wall" situation serves us well....but it shouldn't be occurring in round three against the lowly saints.

Please Huey.....no more injuries!!!

Why do people keep saying he doesn't have the tank? Didn't he just have an injury free pre season? The guy attacks the contest and pill at full speed harder than anyone. If he isn't getting a game due to illness then fair enough though.

Because it's common knowledge that he doesn't? He has even said so in interviews. Also was one of the last players in preseason time trials (excluding ruckmen)

His first few preseasons at the club were restricted due to his calf condition and surgery

Because it's common knowledge that he doesn't? He has even said so in interviews. Also was one of the last players in preseason time trials (excluding ruckmen)

His first few preseasons at the club were restricted due to his calf condition and surgery
He didn't, not doesn't. From all reports he put a power of work into this preseason, even going as far as training with Adams every day while they were on holiday in France in the offseason. He was in super nick after this full preseason, which is why it's such a damn shame he's got Glandular fever. Just another s**t setback that has been beyond his control.

He didn't, not doesn't. From all reports he put a power of work into this preseason, even going as far as training with Adams every day while they were on holiday in France in the offseason. He was in super nick after this full preseason, which is why it's such a damn shame he's got Glandular fever. Just another s**t setback that has been beyond his control.

I remember hearing he was one of the last players in our 2km time trials. I don't believe really poor fitness is something that can be completely turned around in 1 preseason, takes 2-3. So far in his career he has only really had 1 preseason.

Going to be very depressing if this is a long illness because that'll write him off getting a chance in the seniors in 2015.

I remember hearing he was one of the last players in our 2km time trials. I don't believe really poor fitness is something that can be completely turned around in 1 preseason, takes 2-3. So far in his career he has only really had 1 preseason.

Going to be very depressing if this is a long illness because that'll write him off getting a chance in the seniors in 2015.
Running toward the end of a 2km trial =/= not being able to run out a game. Even though he was towards the back of the pack he was reportedly running PB's (as many of the boys were this year). He was significantly fitter than he had been in previous seasons and by rights should have been able to run outfall games.
I'm not saying he was the fittest guy on the list, but he had done enough to move past the constant sub/dropped pattern we were seeing last year.

Great to see that someone hasn't pigeon-holed players based on what happened 3 years ago. He worked his butt off over the off season and his first 2km time trial he actually performed quite well. It was in the second one after a bout of illness that he performed quite poorly along with PK and a few others. Let's be honest though, 2km time trials are a load of wank when it comes to being able to run out a game where players run upwards of 10km. Being able to run a 2km time trial under 6 minutes doesn't make Blicavs at Geelong one of the fittest blokes in the competition in game situations. It just means he can run quick over 2kms in a race.
I'm a sick and tired of reading and hearing that barrackers and also people involved in the inner sanctum pigeon-hole players with labels and it seems no-matter what the player does over a three year period they can't break that original label that they are given when they first arrive. Now I get that first impressions last, but when the player has proven that impression is no longer valid then it's time people moved on. If the player proves the impression still exists then so be it. But when they have worked their butt off to change the impression and are posting PB's when they are in a healthy state then I just don't understand why people feel the need to bring up what they may have been not what they are now!

And how exactly has Kennedy proven that impression is no longer valid?

We just have no luck and appear to be cursed.

I posted in another thread a little while back that we do things big at Collingwood.

-- We don't just get common colds or gastro, we get glandular fever.

-- We don't sprain ankles, we fracture them.

-- We don't dislocate thumbs, we fracture them.

-- We don't take cocaine cut with baby powder, we take it cut with PEDs.

FMD and FML

If u think about it, ever since end of 2011, everyone has been cursed. Existing players injured, players traded out injured, players we drafted in replace of the players traded injured. Both coaches going bad
It really has been a clusterfk for all involved.

Oh well, hopefully the wheel turns sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like we have all the ingredients for a "Perfect Storm"
Not long ago (February) we'd had a great pre season and only Shaz and Caff were long term injuries. Reid was an unknown quantity but the club had sent him to Germany to meet the guru and even Reidy was looking a likely starter come round one. The boys coming back from surgery (Pendles, Swanny, Seeds and Witts) seemed on track to slot in by round one and only Darcy Moore's toe sprain caused any flutters. Then along came the NAB cup and things went pear shaped again. Swanny and Pendles struggled (as would anyone after limited pre seasons and surgery) Witts, Seeds and Reid were held back and when Greenwood snapped his ankle we lost our replacement "hard nut" midfielder. No probs though.....everyone else is going well....he'll be back by the bye. (So between February and the end of the NAB....we'd gone from 2 unavailable to 6.)

The week leading into round one was chocablock with the Lions fans and the media baiting Collingwood about Beamer's departure and just before the teams were picked (and with the Essendon drugs saga reaching a disappointing crescendo) two of our own were red carded for PED's. The loss of another two senior players took the tally to 8 before a shot was fired in anger.

Round one materialised and we were long shots in the media to beat the Lions up at the Gabba. The boys did a great job and brought home a win but it cost us our most in form and damaging midfielder when Sidey busted his thumb. So between February and April we'd gone from 2 unavailables to 9.

Now week two's behind us and after playing the hotshot crows (perhaps the most inform team in the League) we lost another player to a 6-8 week injury. Sinkers hamstring takes our current list of unavailables to 10.

Now in a list of 40 odd...assuming that 12 were assumed at the start of the year to be youngsters unlikely to be pushed forward for senior duty, with 10 unavailable currently that leaves about twenty five fit bods to take on the next 6-8 weeks. So many of our players are young, inexperienced and just starting their AFL careers. The optimist in me remembers 1986 when a crop of kids came up together from the under 19's into the seniors. They all went on to have fantastic careers at the club and built the 1990 premiership team, but it took 4 years (and multiple changes of coach) to get there.

10 weeks ago Bucks could not have envisaged a midfield without Pendles, Swan, Adams, Sidebottom, Thomas or Greenwood but on Friday night there's a distinct possibility he will be faced with this dilemna. Some will call it terrible luck, opposition supporters will revel in our inadequacy, yet there's nothing for it....it is what it is.

I read with interest that Richmond consider this weekend's match a "line in the sand game" and I sort of think they're jumping the gun a little, I hate to think what the Tiges would do with 10 senior players out. Having witnessed several of these "Line in the sand games" (and trust me the 1958 GF was the ultimate version of this) I think that you really have to be faced with almost certain extinction to play one. We're not there yet....but for Buck's boys (and they really are boys) that time might be coming sometime in the next 6-8 weeks. Until we get those senior players back and running at 85% of their capacity our game plan will be survival. Pies fans well know the "backs to the wall" situation serves us well....but it shouldn't be occurring in round three against the lowly saints.

Please Huey.....no more injuries!!!
Great post. I suspect Huey listens to you.

If Ben Kennedy has glandular fever he should be hawked around the SA clubs as an early season special. If he does not show us this year why we drafted him, he never will!
Not sure if this is serious but I'll take it as such...

Imagine the outrage. What would we get for bk at current value? A cold pie? He goes over in the off season when he's over his glandular, has a solid preseason and tears it up next year like the first round draft pick gun he finally becomes. Imagine the headlines. The meltdowns on this board. Shocking. Selling low and buying high!

Not sure if this is serious but I'll take it as such...

Imagine the outrage. What would we get for bk at current value? A cold pie? He goes over in the off season when he's over his glandular, has a solid preseason and tears it up next year like the first round draft pick gun he finally becomes. Imagine the headlines. The meltdowns on this board. Shocking. Selling low and buying high!
It was a bit tongue in cheek but he does frustrate me. I have never been enamoured by his size or the fact he was meant to be ready for senior footy but was so obviously not. He couldn't pick a worse time to come down with GL with 25% of the squad out injured.

Posters talk of bad luck but this yearly demise of half our team to injury and illness seems beyond bad luck. Being a Collingwood supporter is not half as much fun as it could be. Our top recruits spend their first year on the sidelines with crippling injuries. Our most important and skilled tall forward barely plays a game. We are the squeaky-cleanest side in the AFL but nobody other than us loses 2 players to drug taking.

Then amid the broken bones and the tainted cocaine comes glandular fever. What next?

It was a bit tongue in cheek but he does frustrate me. I have never been enamoured by his size or the fact he was meant to be ready for senior footy but was so obviously not. He couldn't pick a worse time to come down with GL with 25% of the squad out injured.

Posters talk of bad luck but this yearly demise of half our team to injury and illness seems beyond bad luck. Being a Collingwood supporter is not half as much fun as it could be. Our top recruits spend their first year on the sidelines with crippling injuries. Our most important and skilled tall forward barely plays a game. We are the squeaky-cleanest side in the AFL but nobody other than us loses 2 players to drug taking.

Then amid the broken bones and the tainted cocaine comes glandular fever. What next?
Suffice to say that if I were a player and expected to travel interstate to play I'd be catching a different plane to the rest of the team! :p

He trained today so he must have got over Glanduler Fever quick.
Who was it said that he had glandular fever? (Wasn't it TD?). All this verbal huffing and puffing over the midget man's loss for the year was apparently for nothing. Everyone I ever knew with glandular fever was practically on their death bed for months.

The mounting injury toll is once again reaching alarming levels. I couldnt sleep last night thinking about it.

I raised the issue a few weeks ago, and I see a few others are agreeing with me, that Buckley is the cause of these injuries... or more specifically his bad luck. I didnt think there was any other plausible reason for the amount of injuries but after a scientific search, I have discovered another associated reason for the injuries. Now I'm not saying that Buckley isnt to blame but I believe that ever since we introduced Blackmores Injury Update, the injuries have got worse. Further proof can be seen in the preseason where we were tracking fairly well, but then Neil Balme plonked himself down in the seat and blurted his first update and immediately the players started to go down like nine pins. It's a clear and undeniable cause and effect. I think we need to write to the club and demand Balme to put the Blackmores cue back in the rack.

Clearly Buckley's poor man-management has caused all of these issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back