List Mgmt. What our defence will look like in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted to raise a post about this because I think it's pretty relevant. I was a bit miffed about us chasing Franklin because I reckon we should have kept Mumford & tried to recruit Shaw. Anyway.

Current defenders:
- Smith
- Rampe
- Eski
- Teddy
- Grundy
- Shaw
- AJ
- Laidler

Now, 8 doesn't go into 6 and they're all class defenders. Our premiership defence was:
- Smith
- Eski
- Teddy
- Grundy
- AJ
- Shaw
- Mattner

Smith usually rotates through the midfield and takes the most dangerous forward/winger whilst bird takes the most dangerous inside midfielder.

Thing is when AJ comes back next season, he will start, there's no doubt about it. Maybe shaw will retire, maybe he won't, but if he doesn't and he's good enough to keep going, then it's up to Laidler & Rampe to stake a claim because there's no chance in hell the other defenders will be dropped.

chunkychicken I have merged your thread with a thread started earlier this month by swansrule100 on the same topic, hope that's OK.

When Rohan gets fit, I wouldn't mind Shaw on the HF line, he'll fight like crazy to lock the ball in, will be able to lock down on a running back with his defensive instincts, as well crafty enough to snag a couple of goals,
Rohan running fast and strong off the HB with long kicks into Buddy/Tippett/Goodes/Reid, would be not a bad sight

chunkychicken I have merged your thread with a thread started earlier this month by swansrule100 on the same topic, hope that's OK.
That's fine.

When Rohan gets fit, I wouldn't mind Shaw on the HF line, he'll fight like crazy to lock the ball in, will be able to lock down on a running back with his defensive instincts, as well crafty enough to snag a couple of goals,
Rohan running fast and strong off the HB with long kicks into Buddy/Tippett/Goodes/Reid, would be not a bad sight

I was thinking exactly the same thing tbh. I think Rohan is a good size to play off the half back flank and has really good pace too. Shaw is pretty small and struggles against those bigger opponents but burns them with his pace. Just look at the 2012 GF.

Aliir Aliir has some promise.

T.Brett,

I agree from what I have seen of the big Somalian, he has shown some real promise, athletic ability to provide a real contest, as well as a natural flair to attack. With his height, he could really provide some additional run & with Reid there also, some real height & mobility I defence.

I am of the opinion that Shaw & LRT are gone at years end also.

I would propose the 2015 backline could look something like this

B. Smith, Richards, Reid
HB. Rampe, Grundy, AJ

with back ups being Allir & XR for the key position players & Malceski (wing), McVeigh (mid) & Zac Jones (mid) going back on smalls or mid sized players if required.

I just hope that AJ can get his knee ready to handle AFL football again.

T.Brett,

I agree from what I have seen of the big Somalian, he has shown some real promise, athletic ability to provide a real contest, as well as a natural flair to attack. With his height, he could really provide some additional run & with Reid there also, some real height & mobility I defence.

I am of the opinion that Shaw & LRT are gone at years end also.

I would propose the 2015 backline could look something like this

B. Smith, Richards, Reid
HB. Rampe, Grundy, AJ

with back ups being Allir & XR for the key position players & Malceski (wing), McVeigh (mid) & Zac Jones (mid) going back on smalls or mid sized players if required.

I just hope that AJ can get his knee ready to handle AFL football again.
he's Sudanese, adn yes, he shows a bit. Needs to work on his handball though.

I think this is Ted Richards' last year as the key defender, with him playing several more years in the Darren Glass role. I tend to agree about LRT :( but I haven't given up on Shaw playing on, he still has his pace and plays a valuable role

I think this is Ted Richards' last year as the key defender, with him playing several more years in the Darren Glass role. I tend to agree about LRT :( but I haven't given up on Shaw playing on, he still has his pace and plays a valuable role

I'm still not quite sold on LRT being a spent force but I agree on Shaw and Richards. Ted could perfectly play the third tall (Glass/Fletcher) role for a few years more now and Rhyce works too hard for him to just completely fade into obscurity.

If we had Alex Johnson up and running, we'd be in an OK position for the future because I think they'll want him to bulk up and take over Ted's spot at FB but given his knee, they'll need to be very cautious with him. That could actually force Ted to play another year or two as the main man back there in fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no talk of Laidler here. Seems to go pretty well and will improve. Didn't we recruit him as a replacement for Mattner?

10 posts in 9 years! Aliir must be a special one.
I think Legs frequents another Swans fan site a bit more than BF hence the extremely low postin rate, just a lurker here.

Did like your little play with the one word too Legs. I hope he becomes a player for us.

Wouldn' be against this, has taken a little time to develop but would make a fantastic full back I reckon still. Will cost a late 1st round early 2nd round selection.

We don't have any of those, commited to Academy and F/S selections at the next two drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back