Prediction Which player would you like to prove the critics wrong in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree GC but if was Fas's second final, he came on as the sub against west coast IIRC help set up Luke Balls goal and kicked one of his own after the siren.
As you say he had had a very small finals experience before the Grand Final amd was a first year player. He had already gone way past expectations that season. Crazy to say because he didn't stand up and star in the one Q he played of the GF when we were being flogged is a big issue in his career.

Think of all the other players we have had through the club since and think would they be criticised in the same vein. Fas gets trouble bit like Langdon because he played too well too early for his own good.

I'd like Brodie Grundy to prove that he is one of the best ruckmen in the game as soon as next season. Grundy in my view doesn't receive the respect his playing ability deserves and I'd love to see him take that next step and make a statement that he is the clear best young ruckman in the game.

I'd like Brodie Grundy to prove that he is one of the best ruckmen in the game as soon as next season. Grundy in my view doesn't receive the respect his playing ability deserves and I'd love to see him take that next step and make a statement that he is the clear best young ruckman in the game.

Hanging around the trade board too much?

Without a strong endurance base he is going to struggle to break out into a star

Take your pick:

Witts - to finally have an impact around the ground

Reid - to be injury free and somewhere near his best

Broomhead - to final realize all that potential and have a solid season

Broomhead is the one I keep coming back to. This will be his fourth year with us, and he could have featured in this thread for the last three years. He really hasn't had a clean run at it, what with injury and illness, since being selected.

I'm getting impatient now. Don't want to read any more 'banana' stories. I want to read about how mercurial he is, how Didak-like, the 30 plus goals he will kick.

Broomhead is an intriguing player, definitely has the potential to be a elusive half forward in the Didak mould, he's only going to get better with another full season under his wings.

Think he will prove his critics wrong but doubt he will do it in 2016.

I think we may see Jesse White unleash his full potential as a player, yet to really show the football world of his talent, but shows at times he can play well when he takes on the responsibility. If a player needs to pull his finger out to save his career Jess would be the guy.

Without a strong endurance base he is going to struggle to break out into a star
Kappa Knightmare,
I must say I always think its Witts who is the underated of the duo , especially on this forum. I am not knocking Grundy as a fan and he is still very raw imho, but witts best footy which was at the tail end of the 2014 season is as good as anything I have seen from grundy. I know it was only one time trial but Witts time was very impressive on a relative basis given the midfield types he finished around. no doubt grundy is far more agile than witts but in a straight line I think Witts leading speed is good for a guy his size and he is probably more threatening down forward than Grundy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Witts go ahead of Grundy this year as first choice ruckman, but still hoping they can both play in same team.
my real question other than my long response above was to ask your thoughts on why Cloke who's engine is pretty big couldn't play the relief ruckman in a simlar vein to roughthead?

Kappa Knightmare,
I must say I always think its Witts who is the underated of the duo , especially on this forum. I am not knocking Grundy as a fan and he is still very raw imho, but witts best footy which was at the tail end of the 2014 season is as good as anything I have seen from grundy. I know it was only one time trial but Witts time was very impressive on a relative basis given the midfield types he finished around. no doubt grundy is far more agile than witts but in a straight line I think Witts leading speed is good for a guy his size and he is probably more threatening down forward than Grundy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Witts go ahead of Grundy this year as first choice ruckman, but still hoping they can both play in same team.
my real question other than my long response above was to ask your thoughts on why Cloke who's engine is pretty big couldn't play the relief ruckman in a simlar vein to roughthead?

I agree, I see a little more in Witts. I guess we have to wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kappa Knightmare,

Witts is fine and a good solo ruck in his own right.

The problem is Witts like Grundy at this stage is better suited to playing as a solo ruck, or at least the primary ruckman.

And I'm taking Grundy of the two as the younger but also more impactful of the two. Which is the only thing that leaves any kind of question mark over the head of Witts.

Both to me are AFL standard. But with Witts it may be elsewhere with Moore or Cox more logical partners to Grundy long term for the aforementioned reasons.

In a perfect world though I'd like to see both Grundy and Witts learn to become good enough like Cox and Naitanui to make it work and I think most would agree at least with that.

Grundy's endurance has improved incrementally from season to season. So who knows what level he gets it up to.

Huh? My top 3 favourite players yeah, for sure.

Chris Tarrant, Leon Davis and Anthony Rocca would probably be battling it out with Dids for top 3.

You had said "my top 3" instead of "favourite 3".

Theres a big difference. I can agree, didak would be a favourite for most.

He was my favourite for most of his career until the last 2-3 years when I felt there were certain attributes getting in the way of his talent. I also felt somewhat uneasy about him taking an extra 15s to hold onto the ball when the siren sounded for the GF win, when the prior minute had been quick kicks to give multiple guys a final touch. Its a very small thing, but it just signifies for me the things I didnt like about Dids, and came at a time whem the rest of the team was being unselfish.

Didak is a gun and deserves to be in many peoples top 3

Favourite 3, yes.

But top 3?
Swan, Pendles and Buckley are all miles ahead of him, and that's just in the last 20 years.

He was my favourite for most of his career until the last 2-3 years when I felt there were certain attributes getting in the way of his talent. I also felt somewhat uneasy about him taking an extra 15s to hold onto the ball when the siren sounded for the GF win, when the prior minute had been quick kicks to give multiple guys a final touch. Its a very small thing, but it just signifies for me the things I didnt like about Dids, and came at a time whem the rest of the team was being unselfish.

Favourite 3, yes.

But top 3?
Swan, Pendles and Buckley are all miles ahead of him, and that's just in the last 20 years.
Anthony Rocca is my #1 top greatest player of all time

Witts is fine and a good solo ruck in his own right.

The problem is Witts like Grundy at this stage is better suited to playing as a solo ruck, or at least the primary ruckman.

And I'm taking Grundy of the two as the younger but also more impactful of the two. Which is the only thing that leaves any kind of question mark over the head of Witts.

Both to me are AFL standard. But with Witts it may be elsewhere with Moore or Cox more logical partners to Grundy long term for the aforementioned reasons.

In a perfect world though I'd like to see both Grundy and Witts learn to become good enough like Cox and Naitanui to make it work and I think most would agree at least with that.

Grundy's endurance has improved incrementally from season to season. So who knows what level he gets it up to.
Wyat about the Cloke option KM?

Wyat about the Cloke option KM?

Cloke I see as more vital to the front half. He is one of the best key forwards in the game. But not a ruckman. He has the endurance to cover the ground, but inept at ground level and at 196cm he isn't out-leaping other ruckmen at contests so other than as a tactic to get him involved in a game where he just can't get a touch. Cloke needs to stay as a permanent forward.

Being a ruckman at all, if you can't win the ground balls or get the hitouts. You're not as a pinch-hitting ruckman going to be of much if any usefulness.

Favourite 3, yes.

But top 3?

Pretty much this. Have him as your favourite players by all means (wasn't mine but that doesn't matter) but doubt he would be in any top 3 since 1990 let alone all time at Collingwood.

On topic i hope Goldsack and Caff can have a big year though think they may be in a group of players which could be on the outer.

Cloke, definitely. No player cops more constant criticism from the whole football world than he does. Every time he gets the ball the commentators feel the need to say something about how his goal kicking accuracy isn't very good. Plus when he's on fire it lifts the whole team and the crowd. I think it's also partly that he tends to wear his heart on his sleeve, you can ride the emotions with him, unlike Jamie "stone-face" Elliot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back