Who might we take at pick 30? (Thread closed, pls post on the 'welcome' thread)

Who do you prefer (not listed in merit order)?

• Touk Miller

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Jack Lonie

• Liam Duggan

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Hugh Goddard

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Damien Cavka

• Brayden Maynard

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Clem Smith

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Ed Vickers-Willis

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Jarrod Garlett

Votes: 25 15.7%
  • Toby McLean

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Tyler Keitel

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Connor Blakely

Votes: 33 20.8%
  • Reece McKenzie

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • Kyle Langford

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Nakia Cockatoo

Votes: 50 31.4%
  • Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Dean Gore

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ed Langdon

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • Caleb Daniel

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of those on the list aren't terribly realistic but who knows. Some of the ones I think are more likely (and I really like);

Connor Blakely - he would be a rough chance of sliding through as there is a view amongst some that he struggles by foot. Ive seen probably 5-6 games and I don't share the view but if he made it thru would be rapt and be keen to get him. Tall inside mid and clearance king. Excelled at WAFL seniors.

Damian Cavka - Real fav of mine and if haven't seen think Zaharakis. Elite athlete, wing / HF, racks up touches and pushes fwd. Few draft followers don't have him to high but I think he is a chance 15-30.

Connor Menadue - He may well go higher but he oozes class and he may just slip to 30. If he does probably the one I could see Hine taking. I really doubt he'd be there though.

Jarrod Gartlett - Well documented and another been keen on for a while. Has real speed, skill and x factor and he interviewed well. I think he will end up done before we get there but cross your fingers.

Kyle Langford - Tall mid / utility type who can play a few roles. I think he will be there but I have a few questions. Others don't ....is highly rated by a couple of folks who would know.

Toby McLean - I would really like us to take Toby if he was there. He just got better and better all year. He is composed, makes good decisions, can play mid and fwd and has x factor.

Jaden McGrath - AIS kid who doesn't get a lot of talk but is v highly regarded by those in the programme and should be available. Collingwood have seen first hand how good he is.

Tom Lamb - Might be this years Darling. Had his issues and been indifferent at all levels but tested well and has obvious elite talent. Not sure would pass Nathans interview.

Nakai Cockatoo - I have been watching him for about 2 years. Can seriously play and is a very impressive kid. He has height, speed and strength. Can play mid / fwd and does some very nice things.

Marc Pittonet - Would be more likely later but if we want a young ruck prospect he is the best in the draft behind Wright. Athletic, great awareness, good tap and has good skills.

Daniel Capiron - Tall HB / HF who could probably go through wing. Composed, classy and can swing either end. Is a view may not attack the game as much as he some would like. I haven't seen it in the games I have seen. I rate him high.

Ed Langdon - Might be a reach but tested very well and did some very good things at times this year. Is HF who could push up into middle and has real speed and endurance.

Few others like Vickers-Willis, Ellis, Maynard, Nelson who suspect will all be there as well who are v good.

Kyle Langford - Tall mid / utility type who can play a few roles. I think he will be there but I have a few questions. Others don't ....is highly rated by a couple of folks who would know.
I think he could be the bolter this year. Seems the type that someone might fall in love with.

I agree and think started to happen. Be interested in your view of him.
I don't have that informed a view on him, but he strikes me as a guy who has the right physical profile, in that he's tall and evasive with good endurance, good skills and a noted history of success in both goalkicking and shutdown roles.

The biggest knocks on him are that he's really skinny, which is somewhat ameliorated by his December birthday, making him one of the youngest in the draft, and his lack of midfield experience.

The midfield potential might have the biggest impact on his fortunes, but I would think that clubs will have the view that once he fills out, his agility and aggressive tackling will eventually hold him in good stead around stoppages.

I see him as top 15 with a potential for higher.

I don't have that informed a view on him, but he strikes me as a guy who has the right physical profile, in that he's tall and evasive with good endurance, good skills and a noted history of success in both goalkicking and shutdown roles.

The biggest knocks on him are that he's really skinny, which is somewhat ameliorated by his December birthday, making him one of the youngest in the draft, and his lack of midfield experience.

The midfield potential might have the biggest impact on his fortunes, but I would think that clubs will have the view that once he fills out, his agility and aggressive tackling will eventually hold him in good stead around stoppages.

I see him as top 15 with a potential for higher.

Yeah he is bolting a bit with Nakai and couple of others. It might have just been the games I saw but I thought at times he didn't go as well in his decision making as some of the other kids at pointy end. I have him more 15-30 as a result. I think he would be one Hine would rate and be in mix for 30 but not 5. I hear Laverde, Ahern, Pickett and Weller the ones we have higher but it's a long way to go and Hine talked about tall utilities as something they are after.

No, because Frost needs to be PERMANENTLY promoted. We can't promote him temporarily forever. He has proven his worth, you promote him. Oxley however may be demoted to rookie again, but not sure whether they can do that by the rules. I am not sure.

I am getting to believe that the system has a loophole. Because there is a delisting period after the trade period, you can trade picks away like pick 67, with not ever having to justify you getting it in the first place. If we were to get pick 67, we would need to delist another 3 players. One for 30, one for 48 and another for 67. We won't be doing that, so it is a loophole.

I agree that Frost has proven his worth and justifies being promoted with one of our later picks (pick48) however Hine will be looking at the draft and trying to work out which players we would like to draft. If he sees a player that he rates and is still available at pick 48 then Frost will still be a rookie in season 2015.

With 2 long term injuries on our list for season 2015 we can exploit the rules to suit our needs and at the mid season point we can promote a rookie regardless of injuries. I am expecting Frost to be on the senior list for the whole of season 2015.

We will just have to wait and see how the draft plays out before making that call.

Folks,

There's been two separate (but equally interesting) discussions going on in this thread.

They've been separated out.

The discussion about pick 30 has been retained here.

The discussion about draft strategy has been moved to the draft strategy thread,

Cheers!

I agree that Frost has proven his worth and justifies being promoted with one of our later picks (pick48) however Hine will be looking at the draft and trying to work out which players we would like to draft. If he sees a player that he rates and is still available at pick 48 then Frost will still be a rookie in season 2015.

With 2 long term injuries on our list for season 2015 we can exploit the rules to suit our needs and at the mid season point we can promote a rookie regardless of injuries. I am expecting Frost to be on the senior list for the whole of season 2015.

We will just have to wait and see how the draft plays out before making that call.

I don't think this will happen. Frost will get a pay rise if he is promoted as a senior listed player, as oppose to a rookie who is temporarily promoted. We already had Martin walk out, and part of the reason was that we never gave him the belief and trust to promote him permanently despite winning three straight B&F's. Martin started to doubt himself midway through this year, when one after another opportunity was slammed in his face. If we don't promote Frost, I am tipping he will be elsewhere in 2016. You can't play Russian roulette with these rookies. If they are good enough, they are promoted, if not, then they aren't. Frost would be thinking, for all I have done for Collingwood, and they would prefer this 18 year old pick 48 than me. I know where I would tell the Pies to stick it. It is a confidence game, you can't just sap it, without it backfiring.

Frost I guarantee will be promoted. Perhaps Ramsey will be demoted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slams the ball on the boot too much for my liking

Yeah, I have read that somewhere, his under 18 champs disposal efficiency stats were down. He has gone back to the SANFL, Neal-Bullen and Caleb Daniels are reported as being the two best performed U18s in the comp. His stats full-stop in the SANFL league level are very good reading. Have a look he plays for Glenelg.

2014 U18 Champ stats
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-20/2014-nab-afl-under18-championships-complete-stats

SANFL stats Round 13 to 18
http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2014/Rd18_league.pdf
http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2014/Rd17_league.pdf
http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2014/Rd16_league.pdf
http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2014/Rd15_league.pdf
http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2014/Rd14_league_2.pdf
http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2014/Rd13_league.pdf

Theres usually a gem that gets pick up every year in the draft around pick number 30, and Cockatoo looks to be that gem.

Theres usually a gem that gets pick up every year in the draft around pick number 30, and Cockatoo looks to be that gem.

North Melbourne will take him at 25 if he is still available, he has family links to NM, his gram pa or something down those lines played for north and they are keen. Cockatoo will not be around at 30.

North Melbourne will take him at 25 if he is still available, he has family links to NM, his gram pa or something down those lines played for north and they are keen. Cockatoo will not be around at 30.

yes he spent time there as part of the AIS programme. Doesn't necessarily mean will go but often turns out that way.

Given who may be available at #30 Maynard should come into the equation.

This guy may be hard to resist for the Pies. Absolute bull and don't believe what some say about his kicking. It's much better than what some remember.

yeah he was one i didn't get around to doing a bio on. i agree with your summary and in games I have seen his kicking has been fine.

Just saw that Ben Newton from Port Adelaide has rejected an offer and will nominate for the draft. Body is sound and he just came off some outstanding 30+ possession games in SANFL. Worth a look at 30 or 48 if he's around. Good size at 184/83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back