List Mgmt. Who will replace Glass as captain?

Who should captain the Eagles post Darren Glass

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year I was thinking JK but his 2014 form is a bit iffy, then again no candidate is setting the world on fire at the moment. So I'd be content with Kennedy.

However I voted Naitanui. It would have been good if he was able to have strung another solid AFL year together before becoming captain but that's what injuries do. They heck s**t up. However he has several really good traits that set him apart from the other candidates:
  • He's a good public speaker
  • Fans love him to bits
  • Media loves him to bits
  • Naitanui is always very positive and upbeat
  • He is used to the media attention and doesn't really let it affect his game - anyone who expected 2012 from him this year is a moron and he has been building strongly without setting the world on fire despite the added scrutiny of the morons in the media.
  • 2012 showed he was our most important player
  • He leads by example on the field with some of his selfless acts, often sprinting from out of screen to block for players (seen in many of our best goals over the past 5 years)
  • He seems to enjoy the spotlight and the pressure that comes with it. I find that it brings out the best in him. Somehow someway he is always there when it matters. This is an attribute that great players and leaders have.
Then again if we appointed Darling captain for 2015, maybe he will inherit the same team success that our two other 22 year old captains had and really step up like they did (onfield only).

When thinking about it i really like the idea of Nic Nat being captain. But he would have to show this year he is over his injuries.

Darling would be a good choice except his media skills are terrible!

Surprisingly I found myself going Hurn. He has been as consistent as anyone this year and of late in general.
He is also very important for our structure as when he isn't playing it is very noticeable.

Also he comes from over that east side so this will help clear out any thoughts about going home. Maybe. Yeah it will, he isn't as fickle as that other captain we had that left to pursue a life of mediocrity.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-13/eagles-to-rotate-five

Kennedy captaining this week with Kennedy, Selwood, Priddis, Hurn and Mackenzie to share the role for the rest of the season.

So that pretty much rules out other candidates really.

Nutshell Attack (eg about to finish my workbreak...have no time)

PROS
Mackenzie: Our best defender, durable, good age-prime years, team man and looks like an american captain/general.
Kennedy: Our best forward, respected amongst the team, good defensive attack. Marketable.
Priddis: Plays his heart out.
Hurn: Solid bloke no frills etc same as Mackenzie but more classic farm boy.
Selwood: Hard working will do whatever it takes to stop a player.

CONS
Mackenzie: Does he speak enough, kinda quiet
Kennedy: Lots of pressure already to kick goals
Priddis: To many turnovers for a leader and getting on
Hurn: Doesnt have a beard, gold locks, doesn't wear marketable footy boots in the current climate
Selwood: Form is an issue, turnovers.

CAPTAINCY RATING (5/5 being the best D. Glass 5.)

Mackenzie: 4
Kennedy: 3.5
Hurn: 3
Selwood: 3
Priddis: 2.5

Honestly, Priddis for 1-2 years with potentially Darling groomed as the long-term successor.

I love Scooter, Hurn, Kennedy and Emac, but I just never get the feeling that they are meant to be genuine captains. They are on-field leaders within the team more than anything else, they would only be pushed into the captaincy in a void of leadership (like now).

Therefore, give it to Priddis (who at least embodies a lot of good leadership traits, if not all) until he is no longer best 22, and hope someone like Darling (or even Scooter or NN) grows into a genuine captaincy candidate over the next season or so.

Obviously, over that 1-2 years a lot could change, and it would also likely rule out Hurn & Kennedy for good.

Rosa and particularly Masten are also my short-term and long-term dark horses respectively. Not a traditional type, but might have a capacity that could be cultivated.

Based on mid-June 2014, you have to pick Priddis. Maybe something will change between now and the end of the year, but in the mean time no one else is demanding it. If they go for an older player (2005 draft age or older), they have to pick Priddis.

In 2015 we'll probably have 2 captains.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the best solution in the interim.
It would not be wise jump in and make someone captain when there is no stand out selection.
Let's see the season out and see who emerges as candidates.
This will certainly be interesting.
Expecting Priddis's fellow Midfielders to tank when Priddis has it for a week, a protest vote.

How Can Priddis be a captain when all opposition coaches do not rate him.

JK when he's actually in form would be a great choice, but he has been really ordinary this year. When you think of KPF you have been captains of their club, JK isn't near them atm.

Expecting Priddis's fellow Midfielders to tank when Priddis has it for a week, a protest vote.

How Can Priddis be a captain when all opposition coaches do not rate him.

ALL opposition coaches do not think like you. In fact I would say most of them have a bit of an idea about footy and actually do rate him.

What did Simmo say when he first arrived? Oh yeah that was it "At Hawthorn Priddis was the first player we looked at and put time into" (something close to that anyway)

Not that I picked him to be captain or anything, mainly due to his age, but if everyone who ran out each week for our beloved club played with his heart and soul and endeavour we would not be languishing where we are on the ladder.

ALL opposition coaches do not think like you. In fact I would say most of them have a bit of an idea about footy and actually do rate him.

What did Simmo say when he first arrived? Oh yeah that was it "At Hawthorn Priddis was the first player we looked at and put time into" (something close to that anyway)

Not that I picked him to be captain or anything, mainly due to his age, but if everyone who ran out each week for our beloved club played with his heart and soul and endeavour we would not be languishing where we are on the ladder.
And yet it's all lies because no one bothers to man him up.

Forget about what words the coaches say, what happens on the field?

Priddis is given a free reign to do as he pleases.

How they put time into Priddis Scenario:

Clarkson: Hey Simmo we got the Eagles this week how do you think we can combat them.
Simpson: Hmmmm this guy Priddis seems to get the ball, lets watch some tapes.
Brendan Bolt: Yeh G'day guys pass the DVD here I'd love to put it in for some viewing. ...... anyone for some popcorn, my shout :D
Ratten: so long as it doesn't come with steak knives.

**** Watching Tape *****

Clarkson: It seems he gets the ball first all the time. How do we stop that?
Ratten: I guess we could man him up tight around the stoppages, lets send Lewis to him in tight.
Clarkson: I don't know, I like Lewis going third man up.
Bolt: Yeh he has a great leap and boy does he hit it to advantage for us. It's really great to see the hard work he puts in pay off.
Simpson: Hey guys look closer, when he gets the ball its like he's on our team. Somehow every time Priddis touches it we start a chain of possessions within 10 seconds.
Clarkson: Yeh wow thats big news Simmo, Your a smart coach. Have you ever wanted to be a senior Coach?
Simpson: Yeh it has been brewing Clarko.
Ratten: I used to be a smart coach until there was a knife in my back.
Clarkson: **cough cough** yeh righto Ratts believe what you want **cough cough**
Bolt: Yeh Ratts mate stick in there I believe in you. Geee how good is Lowden surely he could debut in tassie next year?
Simpson: To add to that Clarko Priddis' direct opponent is the one that is the most damaging in that chain of possessions, usually getting the rebound 50, i50 or goal.
Clarkson: I guess thats how to play Priddis then. Leave him all by himself and he becomes our most damaging player.
Simpson: I guess thats the first player we've looked at for west coast. Now if only they were as damaging for us as is Priddis is.
Clarkson: I wonder if the game will be that easy.
Hodge: Probably with Priddis playing.

Laughing-Face-Meme-597x772.png

How they put time into Priddis Scenario:

Clarkson: Hey Simmo we got the Eagles this week how do you think we can combat them.
Simpson: Hmmmm this guy Priddis seems to get the ball, lets watch some tapes.
Brendan Bolt: Yeh G'day guys pass the DVD here I'd love to put it in for some viewing. ...... anyone for some popcorn, my shout :D
Ratten: so long as it doesn't come with steak knives.

**** Watching Tape *****

Clarkson: It seems he gets the ball first all the time. How do we stop that?
Ratten: I guess we could man him up tight around the stoppages, lets send Lewis to him in tight.
Clarkson: I don't know, I like Lewis going third man up.
Bolt: Yeh he has a great leap and boy does he hit it to advantage for us. It's really great to see the hard work he puts in pay off.
Simpson: Hey guys look closer, when he gets the ball its like he's on our team. Somehow every time Priddis touches it we start a chain of possessions within 10 seconds.
Clarkson: Yeh wow thats big news Simmo, Your a smart coach. Have you ever wanted to be a senior Coach?
Simpson: Yeh it has been brewing Clarko.
Ratten: I used to be a smart coach until there was a knife in my back.
Clarkson: **cough cough** yeh righto Ratts believe what you want **cough cough**
Bolt: Yeh Ratts mate stick in there I believe in you. Geee how good is Lowden surely he could debut in tassie next year?
Simpson: To add to that Clarko Priddis' direct opponent is the one that is the most damaging in that chain of possessions, usually getting the rebound 50, i50 or goal.
Clarkson: I guess thats how to play Priddis then. Leave him all by himself and he becomes our most damaging player.
Simpson: I guess thats the first player we've looked at for west coast. Now if only they were as damaging for us as is Priddis is.
Clarkson: I wonder if the game will be that easy.
Hodge: Probably with Priddis playing.

Laughing-Face-Meme-597x772.png
I agree.
Yeo could be a potential leader down the track.

Back