Opinion Who would you like to see as Captain?

who would you like to captain Carlton?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was unsure about Duigs for a while but I've warmed to the idea of him being our Captain, especially after the Freo match. If Mick gives him the nod then he's in our best 22, simple as that.

That being said, if it were up to me I'd give it to Carrots. 3 daughters in one go = 3x prem Captain?

Here is an interesting theory... What if we revolutionise things and create a system with no captain. Much like how we are going now and not like what other clubs have done in the past with multiple captains. No one individual to leave it all up to, no one able to take a back seat because every one is driving up front, no one individual to leave the hard work and responsibility to because every one in the team is equal and on a level playing field and therefor has an equal level of responsibility. Things seem to be going well at the moment and one thing that might bring players out of their shell and make them step up to the next level is if they are all seen as leaders and all expected to lead, not just a select individual or small group to win games and be the leaders. Teams that win flags are made up of a team where nearly every player is a leader and has leadership values. I just find that having a captain or a small leadership group even takes responsibility and leadership status away from the other players who may not naturally be leaders. Lets have every one on equal terms and perhaps it urges the whole team and every individual to step up and lead and take on the responsibility. It puts guys like Lucas, Bell, Garlett and Touhy on the same level ground as Judd, Murphy, Carrazzo, Simpson etc and perhaps because of that these guys might find their voice, their leadership skills and step up as players and leaders of the team.

I suggest we pick a player each week to take the toss and pick players for every quarter/half for a pre speech/rev-up. How good would it be for a player who is a quiet introverted individual who might not see them selves as a leader like Kreuzer or Garlett to be told, "right, you're giving the players the half time speech/rev-up".

It's very outside the box and it's very against tradition but it might work and might help with our inconsistencies and poor performances from our lower end players and over reliance on our better players that we have had in the past. I know it's only nab cup but it sure hasn't hurt us yet playing captain less without that one player on a pedestal.

After all, having captains in Australian rules football is just a reminance from a time before the game became professional/competitive as they also umpired the match and IMO serves very little purpose in modern day football with leadership groups and very open team discussions often held. Just pick a player to flip the coin each week and be done with it. I find it makes the game a little more individualised, when it is more effectively played as a team.

I just want a vocal captain. Juddy was good for an example on field, but vocal he was not. I felt like Kade grew another 10% in the NAB cup and he wants to lead. Carrazzo is the most obvious choice. Oh my im just so conflicted and excited about my side atm. LETS GO BLUE BAGGERS!

I think Carrots is probably the man here.
He's vocal, combative, blue-collar and Carlton through-and-through.

Murph should concentrate on winning a Brownlow, Simmo should be Carrots' right hand man, and Duigan and Waite should show leadership by playing effective senior football at their respective ends of the ground.

Blues can't go wrong with Captain pick

WITH Carlton's captaincy to be resolved soon, possibly within days, the general consensus among former Blues skippers is that there is no wrong decision – each of the main candidates would make terrific leaders.

Coach Mick Malthouse insists all five members of the club's leadership group are in the running for the role, but there have been suggestions that it's a three-way contest between Andrew Carrazzo, Marc Murphy and Kade Simpson.

Blues can't go wrong with Captain pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Carrots is probably the man here.
He's vocal, combative, blue-collar and Carlton through-and-through.

Murph should concentrate on winning a Brownlow, Simmo should be Carrots' right hand man, and Duigan and Waite should show leadership by playing effective senior football at their respective ends of the ground.
Can't go past this reasoning! - with one exception... I'd like to see another long-term Captain like Kernahan, to lead the club into it's next dynasty. Murph is the only one young enough from the 5 in the leadership group but he is not vocal enough. He needs a bit more mongrel in him. So, outside of the 5 I'd like to see... don't laugh... Robbo!

Here is an interesting theory... What if we revolutionise things and create a system with no captain. Much like how we are going now and not like what other clubs have done in the past with multiple captains. No one individual to leave it all up to, no one able to take a back seat because every one is driving up front, no one individual to leave the hard work and responsibility to because every one in the team is equal and on a level playing field and therefor has an equal level of responsibility. Things seem to be going well at the moment and one thing that might bring players out of their shell and make them step up to the next level is if they are all seen as leaders and all expected to lead, not just a select individual or small group to win games and be the leaders. Teams that win flags are made up of a team where nearly every player is a leader and has leadership values. I just find that having a captain or a small leadership group even takes responsibility and leadership status away from the other players who may not naturally be leaders. Lets have every one on equal terms and perhaps it urges the whole team and every individual to step up and lead and take on the responsibility. It puts guys like Lucas, Bell, Garlett and Touhy on the same level ground as Judd, Murphy, Carrazzo, Simpson etc and perhaps because of that these guys might find their voice, their leadership skills and step up as players and leaders of the team.

I suggest we pick a player each week to take the toss and pick players for every quarter/half for a pre speech/rev-up. How good would it be for a player who is a quiet introverted individual who might not see them selves as a leader like Kreuzer or Garlett to be told, "right, you're giving the players the half time speech/rev-up".

It's very outside the box and it's very against tradition but it might work and might help with our inconsistencies and poor performances from our lower end players and over reliance on our better players that we have had in the past. I know it's only nab cup but it sure hasn't hurt us yet playing captain less without that one player on a pedestal.

After all, having captains in Australian rules football is just a reminance from a time before the game became professional/competitive as they also umpired the match and IMO serves very little purpose in modern day football with leadership groups and very open team discussions often held. Just pick a player to flip the coin each week and be done with it. I find it makes the game a little more individualised, when it is more effectively played as a team.
Sounds a bit too Grant Thomas to me, doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

The other side is no-one to take responsibility though, particularly with a slightly introverted group.

Sounds a bit too Grant Thomas to me, doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

The other side is no-one to take responsibility though, particularly with a slightly introverted group.
I don't think there's room for Democracy in Football (well, on the park at least). All you'll end up with is chaos and confusion all round. Rightly or wrongly, it has to be one bloke calling the shots, so everyone has clear instruction and knows how to go about it. Also disagree with rotating Captains for the same reason (but to a much lesser extent).

522667_10151478134903334_1976858388_n.jpg

No Ratten or Whitnall...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back