Review Winners and Losers of Trade Week

Remove this Banner Ad

FishCreekBandit

All Australian
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So who are the big winners and losers of trade week?

For mine

Winners

GC17 As expected bent everyone over and made some great Trades including the Krakour deal and picking up Brennan

Footscray - Got 2 great f/s selections as well as addressing a key issue in outside pace

Collingwood - Got Taz back for next to nothing and picked up a quality young ruckman. Jury out on Krakour.

Losers

Freo - Losing Taz and failing to land any further talent.

Saints - So close to a flag yet no activate at all, needed to get a ruckman.

Geelong
- Lose 2 kids and Ablett and gain 0

Port - Fail to land Walker and also miss out on moving on Motlop

I am happy with the Blues, we lost on the Jacobs trade but not by much, Jacobs was a even trade for both clubs, with Adelaide just winning that one. All in all I am happy Carlton broke even in most of the trades so can't complain.

Collingwood the big winner. It is scary to think how powerful they will become when free agency is introduced. Brisbane and Gold Coast rounding out top 3. Given they manipulated the draft this is no surprise.

Carlton probably the only loser, if there was one.
Got unders for Jacobs, didn't off-load Walker or Thornton and broke even on Grigg.

Port would have also liked to have found a new home for Motlop, but I am happy we didn't accept an under par offer for him. Not gaining Walker is neither here nor there.

Carlton huge fail.

Talked it up and failed to deliver. No KPP so no advancement of their list. Stuck with an unhappy Walker.

Cooking nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine

Losers

We might have not done so great on that individual trade, but we scored Mzungu for a 5 pick downgrade (38 > 44, which became 43 after the Taz trade), and picked up Griffin and Faulks practically for free (we got 55 back from Collingwood, and used the 6 pick downgrade we swapped with GC for Faulks to get Griffin...) so we used a pick we never had in the first place, and ended up keeping the original. I think, given the fact the other option was for Taz to walk, we did okay.

Net gains and losses:

Losses: Tarrant, pick 38
Gains: Faulks, Mzungu, Griffin, pick 43

I think that's decent.

Gold Coast are the clear winners. They will build a juggernaut!

I think Collingwood did quite well. They got Tarrant over the line for what they originally offered and only had to drop 1 spot in the 3rd round to finalise it. Krakoer is also a good get. A lot of cream on an already successful team.

I'm very happy with what the Dogs did. Gained some quicks to help out next year. Sherman is a very good pickup. Adds some much needed pace. I don't think we're clear winners though. DJ and Vez have to now step up a level which could possibly not happen.

Losers

I'd disagree with that. Sure we lost out in the Tarrant trade, but overall;

IN: Griffin, Faulks, Mzungu, Pick 43
OUT: Tarrant, Pick 38

Griffin is adequate insurance for Sandilands.
Mzungu is walks into our best 22 and releases Broughton to the midfield.
Faulks was VFL full back of the year, aged 22.

Overall I'm pretty happy with our trade week, your 'failure to land any further talent' comment is way off the mark.

GC17 were the clear winners though.

I think they got bent over on the Tarrant deal, Faulks will go ok for them but its yet to be seen if he has the body to make it in AFL footy

Tarrant deal was out of our hands, its a loss but not a massive one.

Happy to revisit the pick downgrade deals, can't really see how freo could possibley have gone wrong there with limitless upside.

Freo are doing nicely at finding handy little role players. No "name" players, but just about everyone they have has a clear niche.

If anything, think state league players are maybe a tad over-rated this year. Seems everybody's chasing them and giving up ND picks for them.

Adelaide lost big time with the Tambling trade.
But did well to grab Jacobs as a forward/ruck, he has some potential - his game in the VFL grand final showed alot.

I think the bullies won by a fair length. Wallace, Libba and Sherman, their midfield will be a force next year. They could have done with a forward though, but you'd hope they'll look at some in the draft.

Collingwood did ok to get Tarrant (but is he needed?...maybe as back up for both Reid and Brown). Krakouer is one i think everyone will look forward to see playing, I sure can't wait.

Other than that, it hasn't been a momentus trade week. And I don't want to talk about GC.

Collingwood the big winner. It is scary to think how powerful they will become when free agency is introduced. Brisbane and Gold Coast rounding out top 3. Given they manipulated the draft this is no surprise.

Carlton probably the only loser, if there was one.
Got unders for Jacobs, didn't off-load Walker or Thornton and broke even on Grigg.

Port would have also liked to have found a new home for Motlop, but I am happy we didn't accept an under par offer for him. Not gaining Walker is neither here nor there.

Given you didn't off-load Motlop,wouldn't that also make Port losers as well ??

Losers:

West Coast - A wooden spoon and the best they could do was swap a pick and delist a player.

Brisbane - Midfield was raped by GC, and they still have Fev. Handy picks yes, but it'll take a few years to recover.

Carlton - Lost arguably their second best ruckman for a second round pick. Talked a lot, and didn't do much.

AFLPA - Uncontracted players are again shafted by trade restrictions. The sooner the AFLPA pushes in a NHL-style player movements system the better for all.

Winners:

Gold Coast - even before the season ended we knew that given the concessions they would be a major player and in a strong position in trade week. They'll be in flag contention well before the losers recover.

Collingwood - Absolutely ruthless in trade week again. Don't know why clubs bother to deal with them.

Richmond - Apparently an attractive place for players looking for more game time. Might even get Houli for nothing. Also got rid of that spud Tambling.

AFL - will again use this period to point out that enough players moved so there's no need for changes to the off season player movement system. They've also made dead certain their first pet project will thrive for a few years at least.

I'd disagree with that. Sure we lost out in the Tarrant trade, but overall;

IN: Griffin, Faulks, Mzungu, Pick 43
OUT: Tarrant, Pick 38

Griffin is adequate insurance for Sandilands.
Mzungu is walks into our best 22 and releases Broughton to the midfield.
Faulks was VFL full back of the year, aged 22.

Overall I'm pretty happy with our trade week, your 'failure to land any further talent' comment is way off the mark.

GC17 were the clear winners though.

How many games have you seen Faulks play?

I watched him all season and well he may be able to make it at AFL level he will be rag dolled by the likes of Brown and Hall. Losing Tarrant is a big loss for your club.

Sure there was nothing you could do but never could Geelong in losing Ablett. Still means you lost out overall in the trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back