World Cup Semi Final 2 Thursday July 11; England v Australia @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, previews to come but we all remember what happened last time we played a World Cup semi in Birmingham and by my reckoning a similar result would again see us through, so until then, enjoy!

they changed it:
Semi Final
If a Semi-Final is tied, the teams shall compete in a Super Over to determine which team progresses to the Final.

If following a tie, weather conditions prevent the Super Over from being completed, or if the match is abandoned or a no result at the end of the reserve day, then the team which proceeds to the Final will be the team that finished in the higher position in the League Stage.

Final
In the event of a tied final, the teams shall compete in a Super Over to determine which team is the winner.

If following a tie, weather conditions prevent the Super Over from being completed, or if the match is abandoned or a no result at the end of the reserve day, the teams shall be declared joint winners.

Will be tense viewing, could go either way.

I think it will be the best run to the WC for us ever if we succeed, having to go through both England and India to get it.

they changed it:
Semi Final
If a Semi-Final is tied, the teams shall compete in a Super Over to determine which team progresses to the Final.

If following a tie, weather conditions prevent the Super Over from being completed, or if the match is abandoned or a no result at the end of the reserve day, then the team which proceeds to the Final will be the team that finished in the higher position in the League Stage.

Final
In the event of a tied final, the teams shall compete in a Super Over to determine which team is the winner.

If following a tie, weather conditions prevent the Super Over from being completed, or if the match is abandoned or a no result at the end of the reserve day, the teams shall be declared joint winners.
Where is this info from?

they changed it:
Semi Final

Final

Let’s skip the game and go straight to the super over

Buttler and Roy v Finch and Maxwell!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Wade was to come into the 11, where do you think he will bat?

Of late, Wade has been opening but there is no way they will change the Warner/Finch partnership and I expect Smith to move to number 3.
Perhaps 6/7?

Id be stunned if they backed him this late with a question over his fitness.

Khawaja is done and so is Stoinis. Can anyone really say that they're too upset about the latter?

A few weeks ago it was England with the fitness and selection issues but now this unwanted predicament has firmly shifted over to Australia. I can't see Wade being parachuted into the team when Handscomb was the preferred pick, therefore I reckon we'll go with the following:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
Carey
M. Marsh
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendorff

Coulter-Nile, Zampa, Richardson, Wade on the sidelines.

God help us with that lower middle order. Before the tournament I'd have said a semi-final berth would have been a good finish for this team and a fair reflection of where we're at. It's only when you arrive at this stage that your hopes and expectations change. A lot depends on factors unique to the day, such as the toss (which we'll inevitably lose), weather, etc. but I can't help but feel we're up against it now. England are bat-first, flat-track bullies but on Thursday that may be all they need to be.

Khawaja is done and so is Stoinis. Can anyone really say that they're too upset about the latter?

A few weeks ago it was England with the fitness and selection issues but now this unwanted predicament has firmly shifted over to Australia. I can't see Wade being parachuted into the team when Handscomb was the preferred pick, therefore I reckon we'll go with the following:

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
Carey
M. Marsh
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendorff

Coulter-Nile, Zampa, Richardson, Wade on the sidelines.

God help us with that lower middle order. Before the tournament I'd have said a semi-final berth would have been a good finish for this team and a fair reflection of where we're at. It's only when you arrive at this stage that your hopes and expectations change. A lot depends on factors unique to the day, such as the toss (which we'll inevitably lose), weather, etc. but I can't help but feel we're up against it now. England are bat-first, flat-track bullies but on Thursday that may be all they need to be.
Will probably be the side. Bit too vanilla for me especially if the wicket is flat.

Id like to see them take a risk and go with Wade but thats just me - I think we need to roll the dice.

Lets say both of them are ruled out. Then Marsh & Wade are officially added to the squad. This would be my team for the semi;

Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Wade
Carey
Marsh
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendorff

I know Maxwell is a great fielder & his bowling has been handy, but he hasn't delivered with the bat in 9 matches now. It's time to make a change & select in form batsmen.

On U FEEL PRIME using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Id be stunned if they backed him this late with a question over his fitness.

I wouldn't be unless he is too injured. Getting in a player who hasn't even been in the squad, let alone played a match and expecting them to perform well is a 'hail mary' job. Might as well go with Coults in his place. Stoinis has done nothing with the bat so you won't lose much there.

I wouldn't be unless he is too injured. Getting in a player who hasn't even been in the squad, let alone played a match and expecting them to perform well is a 'hail mary' job. Might as well go with Coults in his place. Stoinis has done nothing with the bat so you won't lose much there.
Yeh I agree it is a risk but I dont think they'll be taking a half fit Stoinis into the semi. A fully fit Stoinis is useless so I can only imagine how a half fit Stoinis would go.

I think the team has done well to get to the semis, never really thought they were a chance at the final. i'm kicking myself for not putting money on England after Aus beat them at Lords. I was that tempted.

I think the team has done well to get to the semis, never really thought they were a chance at the final. i'm kicking myself for not putting money on England after Aus beat them at Lords. I was that tempted.

If we'd have won yesterday, I'd have said we'd have been favourites to make the final. And at Lord's, where the white ball does swing, I'd have made us favourites in the final against England or India. Ifs, buts and maybes.

I just see Edgbaston as being a ground that suits England better. The white ball won't give Starc or Behrendorff the swing assistance. I'd hope for the type of wicket we saw there for Pak-NZ or SA-NZ but realistically l reckon it'll be more of a Eng-Ind wicket (and most probably a ridiculously short boundary square of the wicket).

Back