Worst Losses and Best Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

1995 semifinal against Bombers was the best win I have been to.
Worst loss I have been to was the day Dunstall kicked 17 at Waverly. Also there was a game in the early 90s at Princes Park vs West Coast that had a crowd of about 7000 - it was then that I realised we had reached the lowest of the low.

One of the best games I have been to wasn't a win or a loss. It was a draw against Essendon in 1995. Friday night, huge crowd. "Kick a goal Stuey, straighten it up, bang it home, they're in front the Tiges!".

Should have put this all into one post.
One of the best games I have been to was vs West Coast at the G. Was 2006 I think. They were up by 32 at three quarter time.
We stormed back. Richo kicked a goal to put us to within a point and the crowd went spazz.
We eventually lost by two points, but I left the ground having seen Judd and Cousins simply put us to the sword and a young Deledio show us all that he was going to be a very good player.

And again.:oops:
The St Kilda game in 2012 at Etihad. We hadn't beaten them for 10 years. Was a classic game and Jack kicked 8. The stadium was rocking that night. Had St Kilda supporters as old as 8, walking from the ground not knowing what it was like to lose to Richmond.
Had an 80+ year old Saints couple walking from the ground - she turns to hubby and says "They're as bad as *en Collingwood supporters."

Best win - hmmmmm

95 in the wet at Waverley vs Hawks (We kicked 4.16 and won).
95 SF vs Essendon, of course (good year, 95)
2005 v Carlton when we were up by 90 pts in the first half - it would have been nice to go on and win by 150, but hey.....
We've had some notables against Adelaide. I particularly liked the two in the mid-90s where we had gone over the year before and been absolutely slaughtered (100+), but we won the very next game - in Adelaide, again. We did that twice. Also, 'Basketball Crap', 'Pathetic Pittman' etc

Worst loss
2013 EF vs Carlton - almost certainly the worst non-GF-loss in Richmond history
1996 Rd 1 v Bulldogs - Wallace was going to take us to the top, Nathan Brown was back from his broken leg, Coughlan was back from his OP, Wallace knew all about the Dogs from coaching them just a couple of seasons ago, Richo was bulking up to kick 100 goals. Well......... Richo was slow as a wet week, Brown could only run straight lines, Coughlan could hardly run at all, and we lost by 100.
And just a minor one - Rd 16 2011 v Essendon. At the 15 minute mark of the 3rd quarter we had a 23 point lead. In the next quarter-and-a-half, they outscored us 66-4. We just gave up. I nearly did, too.....................................
I remember the 2011 loss against Essendon, we had all the momentum halfway through the third and our 23 point lead, Fletcher gave a blatant free kick to Dusty on the wing which wasn't paid, they ran up and kicked a goal and from there all hell broke loose.

The 2 losses in the OP and round 1 2009 vs Carlton are the three big ones for me.

As for wins, my favourites are:

Port Adelaide, round 6 2005
Richo's 200th. Port got the jump on us and built up a 20-30 point lead before we kicked about 11 or 12 goals in a row to give the reigning premiers an absolute smashing. Richo took this mark to give us the lead:

Carlton, round 7 2005
We lead the tankers 80-3 at one stage. The margin stretched out to 98 before finishing on 85. I remember listening to it on the radio while driving to see a bunch of cousins and relatives (they are all Carlton supporters lol :D). When I got there we weren't allowed to watch the second half. :p

Essendon, round 21 2007

We ruined Hird and Sheedy's send off in front of 90,000. Lol

The Hawthorn wins in 2008, 2012 and 2013 were pretty fun too. Especially in 2013, when we pretty much locked up our finals spot. Chris Newman's reaction summed it up:

newman-passion-o.gif

Melbourne this year was as s**t as it gets. Rogers and Kellaways farewell against Essendon was pretty ordinary as well.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

That was my first ever live game. Drove about 6 hours to get to it :(

Should have put this all into one post.
One of the best games I have been to was vs West Coast at the G. Was 2006 I think. They were up by 32 at three quarter time.
We stormed back. Richo kicked a goal to put us to within a point and the crowd went spazz.
We eventually lost by two points, but I left the ground having seen Judd and Cousins simply put us to the sword and a young Deledio show us all that he was going to be a very good player.

That one was 2005. It the was the week after Nathan Brown went down with injury. Judd kicked the winner from memory.

A couple of other nominations for best wins:

Some of you old farts might remember the group of 3-4 wins during the KB era, possibly 1990, when we beat St.Kilda, Carlton and Geelong. There was talk of transferring the Collingwood game to the MCG, but instead it was played at Vic Park and the Pies were too good (Daicos ran amok). Bit that stretch gave us all hope, and glimpse of the future (culminating in '95).

Also the mother's day massacre the following year v.'s reigning premier Collingwood with Hoggy kicking 10, was fun to watch.

The win against Carlton in '87 was great, with Peter Wilson doing cartwheels in the fog.

I still cant believe how many people are not listing games in the 90's.

I know recent pain is bad, but we were hideous back then. Per the game I referenced, we kicked ONE goal against Essendon in an entire game of footy

losing to Carlton sucks, but at least we were not sitting in the stands praying "please kick a ******* goal!!!"

For mine, worst loss and best win happened in the same game.

Round 17 1997 lost to Adelaide by 137 points but it was our best win because it was Wall's last game as coach.
in my opinion Walls was the most useless coach we ever had totally hopeless....And John Northey leaving was a disaster...

1995 semifinal against Bombers was the best win I have been to.
Worst loss I have been to was the day Dunstall kicked 17 at Waverly. Also there was a game in the early 90s at Princes Park vs West Coast that had a crowd of about 7000 - it was then that I realised we had reached the lowest of the low.
2003 at Princes Park. Official crowd 6025. Only won 4 games that year, 2 years on from the SOS campaign... lots of bad memories and almost no hope.
I still cant believe how many people are not listing games in the 90's.

I know recent pain is bad, but we were hideous back then. Per the game I referenced, we kicked ONE goal against Essendon in an entire game of footy

losing to Carlton sucks, but at least we were not sitting in the stands praying "please kick a ******* goal!!!"
So many games from the 90s are such painful memories, they've been suppressed. To bring them back to consciousness now would require psychiatric help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cats game in 2007 I was out of the stadium walking to my car after the 12 minute mark.
I distinctly recall ringing a mate walking out and the was the tine on the clock.
It was so obvious they weren't trying that night and had cracked the shits,something to do with Gaspar not getting a last game and told to retire I think.
So technically I don't count that game because I didn't see it really and don't really count it as a game either.
There were a collection of losses in the early 90's that were just hideous.
Real thumping a to the tune of 140 odd points I reckon from Melbourne and North. A few times.
They are all jumbled into one in my memory.
Reckon Jakovich and Andy Lovell both kicked 8 in one game.
And Longmire maybe 12-13 in another.
We were just unbelievably bad back then.
Nothing compares.

Best win for me has easily been 1995 semi v Essendon.
The script at half time was reading of a massive humiliation and we somehow came out and bashed them senseless physically and on the scoreboard to make an incredible comeback.

For the best, it was IMO when we broke the drought against the Hawks (forget the year)

We had been massacred by these guys for over a decade, Dunstall just loved destroying us. Then finally one day at Waverley we were gunna win. It was bitterly cold, pissing down with rain, but the fans were going apeshit because we finally were beating a team most had only seen defeats against

For the best, it was IMO when we broke the drought against the Hawks (forget the year)

We had been massacred by these guys for over a decade, Dunstall just loved destroying us. Then finally one day at Waverley we were gunna win. It was bitterly cold, pissing down with rain, but the fans were going apeshit because we finally were beating a team most had only seen defeats against
this was in 95 one of the first few rounds we played in the wet and won by a goal that was a big turning point for us at the time..

this was in 95 one of the first few rounds we played in the wet and won by a goal that was a big turning point for us at the time..

all I remember was getting the flu, being late for work that night, and not giving a *!

Worst losses are the '72 & 82 GF losses to Carlton, we were the better team all year.
Best wins the '67, '69, '73' '74 & '80 Grand Final wins.
Special mention to the '95 semi final win over the druggies, remember turning round to speak to my Bomber mates during the last qtr, and they had gone!:D

2003 at Princes Park. Official crowd 6025. Only won 4 games that year, 2 years on from the SOS campaign... lots of bad memories and almost no hope..
Nah 1993 surely? I remember me and my GF at the time went out and had a late one the night before and the was ample room to actually lay down and go to sleep. By 2003 I was married with a daughter.

best win 2014: essendoom rd 22 2014, and sydney rd 23. Sydney game, as it was the only game i went to all year, and got us into finals. Atmosphere after the siren was awesome.

Worst loss 2014: melbourne. On my birthday, tommy hafey. Played pathetic footy.

anyway thats my 2c.

Another 2 that stood out aswell:

Win: The one vs Fremantle in 2010, it was goal for goal all day but Freo started to get on top in the last 10 minutes and i was starting to get worried. But they kept missing so i still thought we were a chance. Then we got a free in the goal square but i forgot what it was for (Think it had something to do with the Dockers interchange). And then Riewoldt took a hanger and put us futher in front. Then Martin kicked the sealer and man, i have never celebrated a goal more than that goal. That win was one of my favourites.

Loss: Round 22 v Port in 2010. We were getting flogged in the first half and we were down by like 12 goals but then we went crazy. We eventually hit the front with about 5m left on the clock. But we couldnt hold on. I was shattered after that, to come back from 70 points down only to lose in the last minute was heart wrenching. It was also cousins last game which made it even worse.

did troy taylor kick us ahead and then get a free against?? I think thats how it went. But yeah, holy F*** we nearly pulled a rabbit that game. Miss cuz.

Nah 1993 surely? I remember me and my GF at the time went out and had a late one the night before and the was ample room to actually lay down and go to sleep. By 2003 I was married with a daughter.
Yep, my bad. It was 1993. See, 10 years of misery blanked from my memory.

Change this thread to ' Worse loss and Best win ' sick of these negative nellie threads.

Worse Loss = carlton rnd 1 2009, gutted with the realization that we were going to struggle, was the worst year I have been through.

Best Win = Essendon 2007, the sheedy/cheat farewell, was so great seeing those flog supporters completely lose it.
A carlton mod stole my idea, isn't that right Aphrodite ;)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back