WRFL Division 1 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee what an insightful post!!!! Colts didnt crumble,they were just completely outrun and outplayed by a very very good side. If you knew what you were talking about you would know that Altona have been playing huge 2nd halfs and in particular last qtrs in some crushing wins this year,so yesterday was no surprise. Spotty deservedly still flag favourites but this Altona side is the team to beat.A full strength Spotty against Altona in the GF would be a great decider.
Yes Altona are a good side, not debating that at all. Just love seeing the Colts get done when they were so close up until 3qt

ive noticed that the DIV 1 forum has been a little boring the last few weeks so im going to throw something up that some could say its pointless but hey its just to have a little fun!

after the first half of the year and everyone playing each other once, lets select the half year WRFL DIV 1 team of the year..? any one want to have a crack at this?

Couple of topics;

Heights - The mail is a new coach is in place for next season. His appointment is based on being in divvy 2 some may see this is a bad thing, but in my opinion they need to start planning for next season as they will not win a game, but need two wins to avoid relegation as a minimum.

Deer Park - Interesting Leigh Cook putting in a clearance, is things still ok or have they upset a few with the big money spree???

Albion - Keep adding returning players to the list which will possibly help them on the run home.

Kangas - Familiar wrfl player will be assisting Brett for the remainder of year?

Tips - Another week off!

Couple of topics;

Heights - The mail is a new coach is in place for next season. His appointment is based on being in divvy 2 some may see this is a bad thing, but in my opinion they need to start planning for next season as they will not win a game, but need two wins to avoid relegation as a minimum.

Deer Park - Interesting Leigh Cook putting in a clearance, is things still ok or have they upset a few with the big money spree???

Albion - Keep adding returning players to the list which will possibly help them on the run home.

Kangas - Familiar wrfl player will be assisting Brett for the remainder of year?

Tips - Another week off!

St Albans V Sunshine shaping up to be a good game... wouldn't have thought that 3-4 weeks ago

Couple of topics;

Tips - Another week off!

kevin klix........my smokey for the barry priest!!!!!

from outside looking in.......cook seemed unfit and to me would only be a 2's player.......christian day played in the 2's v spotty cant wait to see him fully fit and back in the ones.......quality player......

didnt go to the game yesterday i know spotty kicked 20 plus but for deer park still with several players out to kick 15.9 against the yard stick i see only positives come when playing teams 3 4 and 5......

Hoppers pumped in the game of the round this season is down to 2 Spotswood and Altons no one will get close to these teams when they are on there game
Tend to agree, anything can happen in finals but Spotty and Altona look to have a gap on the rest of them at this point in time.

Altona should be flag favourites, the pressure should be on them as they are clearly the best side in the WRFL this year. They have to show they are the real deal and beat Spotty in a couple of weeks.

They have so many players in that 20-25 yr old bracket and having pinched all those blokes back from VFL club lists in the one year has made them an absolute powerhouse. So even all over the ground. Not many excuses, I think it's their year. Only them choking when it matters most will stop them from finishing top, making a Grand Final and probably winning it.

Why so quiet on here?

Because its crap its a two team competition and its only fun when people are hanging it on Hoppers and watching there supporters jump to there defence and that has stopped as they are doing well of late

BEEG - think you are very accurate, at this stage!

I think the comp is in trouble because of the lopsided results. Deer Park would be paying no 1 in my opinion and may sneak in if things fall there way, but they in my opinion have under achieved to date. Albion are really holding on with 17 players on the track Tuesday night, Heights training one night a week.

The discussion of a merged comp is public & maybe something all clubs should be paying serious consideration towards?

PS: I wonder if the hoppers coach knows of some potential movements for next season???

I think the comp is in trouble because of the lopsided results. Deer Park would be paying no 1 in my opinion and may sneak in if things fall there way, but they in my opinion have under achieved to date. Albion are really holding on with 17 players on the track Tuesday night, Heights training one night a week.

The discussion of a merged comp is public & maybe something all clubs should be paying serious consideration towards?

PS: I wonder if the hoppers coach knows of some potential movements for next season???

The reason that nobody is posting on here is that there is nothing to talk about. Yarraville has Div 2 in the bag so we know who is coming up. The race for relegation is over so we know who is going down. The final 5 is set (75% at least). The top 2 are set. The only question worth discussing for the rest of the year is can Altona find a way to beat Spotty..... and to be honest nobody seems to really give a stuff which of those 2 teams win!!!

Comps in a bad way when a club president told me that his club is spending $100K this season and knows that they have no chance if winning it and if they wanted to be in a position to win it they would need to find another $100K per year!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason that nobody is posting on here is that there is nothing to talk about. Yarraville has Div 2 in the bag so we know who is coming up. The race for relegation is over so we know who is going down. The final 5 is set (75% at least). The top 2 are set. The only question worth discussing for the rest of the year is can Altona find a way to beat Spotty..... and to be honest nobody seems to really give a stuff which of those 2 teams win!!!

Comps in a bad way when a club president told me that his club is spending $100K this season and knows that they have no chance if winning it and if they wanted to be in a position to win it they would need to find another $100K per year!!
Totally agree teams in both u/18 comps disbanding to many clubs within a 5km radius of each other ie west,parks,yarraville-Braybrook,nth sunshine,sunshine,nth footscay-st albans,albanvale,deer park,caroline springs fighting for juniors and senior players starting a super comp will not help the problem who is going to attract players to play 3rd or 4th divi.:thumbsdown:

Heard an interesting thing a couple days ago from a couple WRFL officials and how they are proposing a 3rd division with promotion relegation between Dvi 2 and 3, while Div 1 stays as it is so those clubs can establish themselves. Found that proposal pretty interesting

Heard an interesting thing a couple days ago from a couple WRFL officials and how they are proposing a 3rd division with promotion relegation between Dvi 2 and 3, while Div 1 stays as it is so those clubs can establish themselves. Found that proposal pretty interesting
That hardly solves the problem of a very lop sided Division 1 competition. This year we've got two sides who are daylight ahead of the next best. But to be fair, the Essendon DFL is down to 2 teams this year as well - Greenvale and Strathmore.

There's hardly any ex-AFL stars in the WRFL competition, whereas you look up the road at the EDFL and it's full of them. Hopefully a couple of clubs who can afford it will open up the purse and spend in 2013 but even so there will still be 3-4 uncompetitive sides running around.

That hardly solves the problem of a very lop sided Division 1 competition. This year we've got two sides who are daylight ahead of the next best. But to be fair, the Essendon DFL is down to 2 teams this year as well - Greenvale and Strathmore.

There's hardly any ex-AFL stars in the WRFL competition, whereas you look up the road at the EDFL and it's full of them. Hopefully a couple of clubs who can afford it will open up the purse and spend in 2013 but even so there will still be 3-4 uncompetitive sides running around.

Dont get to carried away ! EDFL have a few Ex AFL players running around but none of them were AFL Stars.

you always make me bite!!!.....i love it

would could should......words that dont sit well with weapo!!!!...obviously there is some money floating around a great snr coaching staff so really its up to the players to committ and dedicate themselves to get the club where it (should) be.......in the top 5......

cant be talking finals....got 6 or 7 players that are injured(i know everybody has them).....the way i look at it and in my honest opinion d/p wont make finals reason being the players who we will get back from injury wont have enough match fitness to compete with the match hardened players they will come up against......they are good players no doubt but will struggle with out having the match fitness......tough road ahead get passed albion then hoppers sunshine colts altona still to come gotta win 4 or 5 of those and get on a bit of a roll....... so if they get in it will be well deserved and some credit has to be given.....time will tell and it has to be 1 week at a time.......

All of a sudden, big round of footy coming;

Altona v Spotty - in one word "cracker" Altona have jumped into premiership favorites, spotty now become the hunter.
Hoppers v Deer Park - Must win for lions, Hoppers continue on their way, will the lack of talks hurt the warriors?
Sunshine v Albion - Albion will throw everything at my lads & the Kangas owe from earlier in the season.
Colts v North - big % booster but colts will want to back up on the big upset.
Heights V Saints - Heights will have a crack on home turf, Saints are now gone so may look at some kids?

Fair to say a round the WRFL needs, good luck to all.

PS: weapons bites hooks without bait.

All of a sudden, big round of footy coming;

Altona v Spotty - in one word "cracker" Altona have jumped into premiership favorites, spotty now become the hunter.
Hoppers v Deer Park - Must win for lions, Hoppers continue on their way, will the lack of talks hurt the warriors?
Sunshine v Albion - Albion will throw everything at my lads & the Kangas owe from earlier in the season.
Colts v North - big % booster but colts will want to back up on the big upset.
Heights V Saints - Heights will have a crack on home turf, Saints are now gone so may look at some kids?

Fair to say a round the WRFL needs, good luck to all.

PS: weapons bites hooks without bait.

What has happened at St.Albans , gone from being there abouts a couple of weeks ago to being non-competitive.

What has happened at St.Albans , gone from being there abouts a couple of weeks ago to being non-competitive.

Yes but what about the hiding North copped thought they were improving this year and Sunshine hadn't really achieved much this year , so that result surprised me and good to see Spotty going down and with Altona this week when was the last time Spotty dropped two in a row.

very interesting article which sheds some light on the future of the WRFL

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/loc...-football-league/story-fn53kl7r-1226414299765

I agree there could be 50 clubs formed in the next decade. Whether they are Aussie rules team is another issue. The development of soccer is beginning to bite; so much so that Cricket Australia announced the other day that they were really worried about the lack of juniors dropping out of the game. One of the reasons is the competition being generated from soccer. Probably the worse season I have seen in AFL. Empty stadiums,crap games and at local level most competitions have a huge gap. Football Victoria and AFL had better get of their bums and start paying more attention to grass roots footy otherwise our future players will be coming from Ireland and Africa.

I agree there could be 50 clubs formed in the next decade. Whether they are Aussie rules team is another issue. The development of soccer is beginning to bite; so much so that Cricket Australia announced the other day that they were really worried about the lack of juniors dropping out of the game. One of the reasons is the competition being generated from soccer. Probably the worse season I have seen in AFL. Empty stadiums,crap games and at local level most competitions have a huge gap. Football Victoria and AFL had better get of their bums and start paying more attention to grass roots footy otherwise our future players will be coming from Ireland and Africa.
Cricket is losing juniors because the interest in the sport is way down on previous years. The youth nowadays don't want to watch a slow paced sport like cricket, let alone play it. AFL on the other hand is fine in terms of grass roots, i personally do not know anyone who has swapped from AFL to soccer but i do know a couple who have swapped other way around. The gaps in these leagues are getting bigger because of the relegation promotion system, just like any soccer league with it, it is just too common to have teams relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted, year in year out and since they are not stable in a certain league players continuously change clubs to stay in a higher division.

Not sure what they could do to fix this though.

Cricket is losing juniors because the interest in the sport is way down on previous years. The youth nowadays don't want to watch a slow paced sport like cricket, let alone play it. AFL on the other hand is fine in terms of grass roots, i personally do not know anyone who has swapped from AFL to soccer but i do know a couple who have swapped other way around. The gaps in these leagues are getting bigger because of the relegation promotion system, just like any soccer league with it, it is just too common to have teams relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted, year in year out and since they are not stable in a certain league players continuously change clubs to stay in a higher division.

Not sure what they could do to fix this though.
The AFL has the resources to flood the schools in the West with clinics and freebees like tickets to games which would probably help attendances. Link up the clinics to the teams in the zone and the AFL could pay for parafenalia to be distributed. Get clubs assistance with running their club, financials, business plan, sponsorship etc. If the AFL gets behind and supports the West it will energise the support.Unfortunately the only West they seem to care about is in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back