WRFL Division 3 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I am thinking the same to get it over and done with 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 no prelim straight into GF
I don't think so, finals are due to start 3 weeks tomorrow. There is no way the Div 3 clubs will vote to extend the home and Away season like they did with Juniors. If we aren't out of lockdown in 3 weeks, finals will become questionable.

If the season is canceled, is there any word on what is happening with promotion?

On another note, have teams already started preparing for 2022? What clubs have re signed coaches and key players? Any word on Manor Lakes or are they done for a while ? I think one aspect the WRFL have to consider is how sustainable a 7 team division is. Finals should be a reward, not having the majority make it. Should they make it a top 3 instead next year with a 2 week final series? Another idea that has been floated before and don't get me wrong I understand why people would have their concerns but is there a possibility the league should merge div 2 and 3 ? There are 25 senior teams in the competition, you could push the current top 3 or sustainable clubs next year to div 1 (Probably being Parkside, Wyndhamvale and Newport) creating a a 13 team division 1 and a 12 team division 2. Yes clubs like North Sunshine and Laverton will struggle, but I believe by playing in a better competition it might actually lift the club up and force them to improve. However this merger should be considered highly because a 7 team division is no good for the league and it will be made worse should a club fold next year (you definitely cannot have a 6 team division)

Plus you get more flexibility for the year, you can play more 1 off games against opponents and avoid playing most clubs twice or three times in thebyear. I personally believe that it should be a 15 game season next year regardless to allow rounds to be caught up if there are any lock downs and to save money on player payments as sponsors will be very hard to get next year.

Plus clubs like Braybrook, Wyndham and Albanvale would challenge significantly against the top end teams in division 2, the gap from division 2 and 3 isn't overly massive compared to other leagues.

If the WRFL wanted to take the option of keeping 3 divisions, should they really try and target a few clubs to join the competition. Here are some clubs that I think they can consider.

Westbourne Grammar (VAFA) - About to be dropped to division 4 and have to travel a lot for their away games. They have a partnership with Truganina juniors and in the future, if those juniors don't attend the school, it might be hard for them to play seniors and travel 1-2 hours every 2nd weekend when they could head to Tarneit or Wyndham. Not sure what would happen with the identity of the club however, not sure if Westbourne have to maintain a full identity with the school. Could just call it Westbourne-Truginina FC.

Western Rams/Rockbank (RDFL) - Have struggled in the RDFL for a few years now. A change could be better for them and playing in div 3 could help develop a winning culture.

Werribee Centrals (GDFL)- Would slot right into division 1 or 2. Read somewhere tonight that other GDFL clubs would vote them out of finals with Melbourne's lockdown continues. That could really rub them up the wrong way. Juniors are already in the comp and they would attract more players from.the city who don't want to travel to Geelong every second week to play.

The next two options are focusing on these clubs lower grades, not there 1s or 2s as I couldn't see them wanting there 1s to play WRFL.

St Bernards (VAFA) 3rd or 4th team (Division 3 Seniors only) - St Bernards have 4 senior teams (4th team is u23) however there 3rd and 4th side would compete in Division 3 Seniors WRFL. The WRFL facilitates the juniors for St Bernards, so they should really consider having a chat and asking for something back. You would think most guys playing in these teams would prefer the less travel on weekends and would be use to playing WRFL already from juniors.

Williamstown (VAFA) thirds side (Division 3 Seniors only) - Same thing with St Bernards, the WRFL have their juniors playing WRFL, less travel as well and would probably attract a few more guys if they had the option to play WRFL.

Interesting post.

In order, I would rate the chances of those sides coming to WRFL as
a big fat zero
possible
unlikely without significant incentives
utterly zero
utterly zero

personally for the future of the league and most clubs, I would go with 2 division comp and try get a couple of clubs to merge..
For example albanvale/deer park sunshine/sunshine heights nth sunshine/braybrook I think it’s going to be hard for these clubs in the long run without the injection of juniors. Going to be relying on sponsors to get players in and I don’t think that’s sustainable.
just my opinion I hope I’m wrong and these clubs including my beloved cobras stay around for decades to come

personally for the future of the league and most clubs, I would go with 2 division comp and try get a couple of clubs to merge..
For example albanvale/deer park sunshine/sunshine heights nth sunshine/braybrook I think it’s going to be hard for these clubs in the long run without the injection of juniors. Going to be relying on sponsors to get players in and I don’t think that’s sustainable.
just my opinion I hope I’m wrong and these clubs including my beloved cobras stay around for decades to come

Agree without juniors will be hard to keep these teams going in the long run

North sunshine probably can’t stick around they have been poor for way to long even Laverton probably in that same boat

Bringing in those sides mentioned would be a great idea and seems like the smart idea especially Westbourne and Rockbank why keep playing in a comp where you haven’t had any success

Time for change

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree without juniors will be hard to keep these teams going in the long run

North sunshine probably can’t stick around they have been poor for way to long even Laverton probably in that same boat

Bringing in those sides mentioned would be a great idea and seems like the smart idea especially Westbourne and Rockbank why keep playing in a comp where you haven’t had any success

Time for change

Laverton have some juniors I believe or just auskick. But they are trying hard.

Rockbank would have to be the only one them with even a farts chance of joining the WRFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the WRFL wanted to take the option of keeping 3 divisions, should they really try and target a few clubs to join the competition. Here are some clubs that I think they can consider.

Westbourne Grammar (VAFA) - About to be dropped to division 4 and have to travel a lot for their away games. They have a partnership with Truganina juniors and in the future, if those juniors don't attend the school, it might be hard for them to play seniors and travel 1-2 hours every 2nd weekend when they could head to Tarneit or Wyndham. Not sure what would happen with the identity of the club however, not sure if Westbourne have to maintain a full identity with the school. Could just call it Westbourne-Truginina FC.

Western Rams/Rockbank (RDFL) - Have struggled in the RDFL for a few years now. A change could be better for them and playing in div 3 could help develop a winning culture.

Werribee Centrals (GDFL)- Would slot right into division 1 or 2. Read somewhere tonight that other GDFL clubs would vote them out of finals with Melbourne's lockdown continues. That could really rub them up the wrong way. Juniors are already in the comp and they would attract more players from.the city who don't want to travel to Geelong every second week to play.

The next two options are focusing on these clubs lower grades, not there 1s or 2s as I couldn't see them wanting there 1s to play WRFL.

St Bernards (VAFA) 3rd or 4th team (Division 3 Seniors only) - St Bernards have 4 senior teams (4th team is u23) however there 3rd and 4th side would compete in Division 3 Seniors WRFL. The WRFL facilitates the juniors for St Bernards, so they should really consider having a chat and asking for something back. You would think most guys playing in these teams would prefer the less travel on weekends and would be use to playing WRFL already from juniors.

Williamstown (VAFA) thirds side (Division 3 Seniors only) - Same thing with St Bernards, the WRFL have their juniors playing WRFL, less travel as well and would probably attract a few more guys if they had the option to play WRFL.

Not so sure the Suns would like Westbourne in the WRFL, after the spilt. Not so sure the club would vote to leave VAFA

Werribee Centrals, there are not coming back WSFL/WRFL after they left, one word Buckley's.

St Bernard's, no chance

Williamstown , maybe but highly unlikely

Rockbank, maybe, but are they financial with the RDFL, may stop them leaving current league.

Laverton have some juniors I believe or just auskick. But they are trying hard.
Issue with Laverton is you have 2 really good junior clubs in Altona and Point Cook on your door step.

Div 3 has been great for a number of clubs and the league. Braybrook was gone for 3 odd seasons 2015-2017, if there wasn't a Div 3 does the club survive. Do Tarneit and Suns survive playing Div 2 in their first couple of seasons when the gap between Div 2 and 3 was massive, hard to recruit players when you are getting belted. Heights came down from Div 2 in 2016 after a horid season in Div 2 not winning a game in 2015, they seem just to be happy living with in their means finishing 3rd or 4th most seasons in Div 3. Albanvale was able to pick up a flag for a number of long serving players. At times Lavo and Nth Sunny have been competitive, they just seem to get a little momentum then implode.

Parkside/Newport/Glenorden all clubs that have needed Div 3.

Div 3 was the best thing the old administration did, the league needed Manor Lakes seniors to survive to maintain the 10/8/8 Div. The issue for a club to compete at Div 3 level you need 30-50K to spend on players in a full season. Add onto this coach/trainers and other costs to field a team you have to raise a bit of coin just to compete. This is why we see clubs in Div 3 having years to adjust, spend have a crack, back off then spend again and hopefully learn from the first time.

Last edited:
Issue with Laverton is you have 2 really good junior clubs in Altona and Point Cook on your door step.

Div 3 has been great for a number of clubs and the league. Braybrook was gone for 3 odd seasons 2015-2017, if there wasn't a Div 3 does the club survive. Do Tarneit and Suns survive playing Div 2 in their first couple of seasons when the gap between Div 2 and 3 was massive, hard to recruit players when you are getting belted. Heights came down from Div 2 in 2016 after a horid season in Div 2 not winning a game in 2015, they seem just to be happy living with in their means finishing 3rd or 4th most seasons in Div 3. Albanvale was able to pick up a flag for a number of long serving players. At times Lavo and Nth Sunny have been competitive, they just seem to get a little momentum then implode.

Div 3 was the best thing the old administration did, the league needed Manor Lakes seniors to survive to maintain the 10/8/8 Div. The issue for a club to compete at Div 3 level you need 30-50K to spend on players in a full season. Add onto this coach/trainers and other costs to field a team you have to raise a bit of coin just to compete. This is why we see clubs in Div 3 having years to adjust, spend have a crack, back off then spend again and hopefully learn from the first time.

Definitely an interested topic of conversation and some very good points here. Division 3 historically has been great for the competition, no doubt about that. But I just believe the competition is at a stage where to make the league better they need to ethier bring more teams into the league or merge the divisions. At the moment the only clubs struggling in div 3 is Laverton and North. But to be fair North Sunshine have improved on and off the field significantly over the past 2 years and have better numbers down there, their twos are even shaping up for finals this year. I believe the top 4 or 5 could compete in division 2 and some would even push for finals if the current division 2 top 4 was pushed to division 1. Back then I think division 3 was needed, but now I don't believe so. It would also help clubs reach division 1 alot easier and you could even have a drop two, promote two system. One thing the league needs to do is mandate promotions as well.

Not so sure the Suns would like Westbourne in the WRFL, after the spilt. Not so sure the club would vote to leave VAFA

Werribee Centrals, there are not coming back WSFL/WRFL after they left, one word Buckley's.

St Bernard's, no chance

Williamstown , maybe but highly unlikely

Rockbank, maybe, but are they financial with the RDFL, may stop them leaving current league.
What is the story behind that split ? I've only heard that parts of it. Truganina Thunder currently have 6 junior teams. In a few years when these juniors will be 15-16 and looking at where they will want to play there u18/senior footy looking forward. Should Truganina hop on the front foot now and have some discussions about shifting over? If Westbourne deny should they look to end the partnership and start building the foundations for a senior team to be established in a few years (hopefully with some assistance from the WRFL). As I highlighted in a pervious post, when these kids finish up there juniors, unless they went to Westbourne, how many will be enticed to leave to a closer club such as Wyndham or Tarneit in order to avoid the travel. A lot of the junior culture built in certain teams will probably disappear upon the transition to VAFA footy and a different club, because some teamates, volunteers, friends and family might look to go somewhere closer. Overall I think it would be better for both to merge as one, it would be beneficial for Westbourne I reckon. Their identity because it would also provide a stronger presence in the community and alot more juniors will come through to the senior base because some won't be lost from the competition transition. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Also were Centrals in the WRFL previously? Why did they leave?

What is the story behind that split ? I've only heard that parts of it.

If you search (top right corner) Wyndham Westbourne you'll see a thread on the VAFA board, D4 2014. It's full of ill-informed opinion, half-truths, and fingerpointing. Most of the accurate stuff was deleted, because it boiled down to two sides airing laundry in public. And it was years ago.

tl;dr:

The school groundsman completely ****ed two beautiful ovals during a drought (allegedly) by failing to get a council watering exemption before deadline
The school told the juniors they had to leave because they were destroying the grounds with wear and tear
The club didn't accept that and decided to leave as an entire club rather than ditch the juniors
Old Westbourne Amateur Football Club relocated to Goddard St and renamed themselves Wyndham Suns
A new club called Westbourne Grammarians was created for seniors only at the school
<agreements with VAFA for both clubs to be in the comp>
<back door deals, skullduggery with seniors etc>
<fingerpointing, mudslinging etc>
<VAFA agreements broken>
Wyndham didn't get up a seniors side in 2014 and Grammarians did
End of 2014 Wyndham told VAFA where to stick their comp as a result of the shenanigans and entered seniors in WRFL div 3 in 2015.

Last edited:
What is the story behind that split ? I've only heard that parts of it. Truganina Thunder currently have 6 junior teams. In a few years when these juniors will be 15-16 and looking at where they will want to play there u18/senior footy looking forward. Should Truganina hop on the front foot now and have some discussions about shifting over? If Westbourne deny should they look to end the partnership and start building the foundations for a senior team to be established in a few years (hopefully with some assistance from the WRFL). As I highlighted in a pervious post, when these kids finish up there juniors, unless they went to Westbourne, how many will be enticed to leave to a closer club such as Wyndham or Tarneit in order to avoid the travel. A lot of the junior culture built in certain teams will probably disappear upon the transition to VAFA footy and a different club, because some teamates, volunteers, friends and family might look to go somewhere closer. Overall I think it would be better for both to merge as one, it would be beneficial for Westbourne I reckon. Their identity because it would also provide a stronger presence in the community and alot more juniors will come through to the senior base because some won't be lost from the competition transition. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Also were Centrals in the WRFL previously? Why did they leave?
Not WRFL but in WSFL, before they amalgamated comps with FDFL. They were a pretty successful and won flags.

Any body know why they left, I have an idea, but it's just a guess.

They wont leave GDFL, as GDFL and there 10 clubs own Buckley's entertainment centre in Geelong $$$. Thanks to a past president of GDFL who had great vision, or was just lucky.

Altona and Point Cook are hardly on Laverton's doorstep. Both are 7kms from Laverton Park. Spotswood is only 2kms from Yarraville and 2kms the other way to Newport and all 3 have good junior programs. 5 primary schools in Laverton / Altona Meadows so the kids are there. The club, with the WRFL's assistance have to keep plugging away.

Leave 3 divisions even with only 7 teams in D3. The WRFL will grow as the West grows and will get to the desired 30 teams in time. Manor Lakes coming back is a good start.

Definitely an interested topic of conversation and some very good points here. Division 3 historically has been great for the competition, no doubt about that. But I just believe the competition is at a stage where to make the league better they need to ethier bring more teams into the league or merge the divisions. At the moment the only clubs struggling in div 3 is Laverton and North. But to be fair North Sunshine have improved on and off the field significantly over the past 2 years and have better numbers down there, their twos are even shaping up for finals this year. I believe the top 4 or 5 could compete in division 2 and some would even push for finals if the current division 2 top 4 was pushed to division 1. Back then I think division 3 was needed, but now I don't believe so. It would also help clubs reach division 1 alot easier and you could even have a drop two, promote two system. One thing the league needs to do is mandate promotions as well.

Mate in all honesty North's 2s are Newport rejects who go the biff over playing football. They should have had 10 guys banned this year alone, and they play the unregistered coach in crucial games. They do not deserve the final spot. Hopefully there is another game to play, they get found out, and whoever it is in 5th takes their spot. They fell into a finals spot with soft lockdown luck of the draw. Going off what I hear, they are rabble and do not deserve to be there.

North will not be relevant for the next 5 years unless they find some coin.

In addition - I believe a 2 division league is a good idea. It would be quite balanced.

If you persist with 3 divisions, you will force the oldest teams in the league into obscurity without feed of juniors. Level the comp. Bring Laverton, Braybrook and North back into relevance. Maintain West as a viable club, even if their tip-infill ground literally goes up a hill (how that is still okay baffles me).

Last edited:
In addition - I believe a 2 division league is a good idea. It would be quite balanced.

If you persist with 3 divisions, you will force the oldest teams in the league into obscurity without feed of juniors. Level the comp. Bring Laverton, Braybrook and North back into relevance. Maintain West as a viable club, even if their tip-infill ground literally goes up a hill (how that is still okay baffles me).

North sunshine and Laverton will probably never be relevant again

So where do we see this season going now?

All kinda hangs on September 2nd now.

Other than that do we have a league bnf night or even a team of the year off 10 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back