Carlton :

Buckley Jamison Jaksch
Docherty Rowe Sheehan
Yarran Cripps Everitt
Thomas Henderson Walker
Menzel Jones Casboult

Kruezer Gibbs Murphy

Judd Simpson Whiley ... Sub : Boekhorst

Carlton have been slaughtered by turnovers in recent times and this has to change .
Carrazzo and Curnow huge offenders here , Whiley to replace them with Everitt very versatile and can play lock down role when needed .

Really interesting observations Santa. Thanks a lot for the feedback and it's a valid point you make. I guess from your post you think Richmond should be looking at pumping games into the lesser experienced players and taking out experience in Newman and Chaplin in particular. Potentially closing any finals window while the lesser experienced players mature as AFL players?

Also I take it from what I thought would be the best back line (with experience of Chaplin) you'd have Grimes/McIntosh in for Chaplin?

Also would love to know your thoughts on Matt McDonough as a small fwd? As a Tigers fan you would have seen more of his forward line form at VFL level than I have
Have a few concerns with him. One is a lack of pace for a sml fwd. The other is he just doesnt have an outstanding attribute.He has good skills but you need a bit more than that imo.

Also if we played Astbury, Rance and Grimes for Chaplin we dont lose out we slightly improve imo. Id dearly love for the club to go out and get a quality kpd, i was all for us taking Durdin or lever and would have gone hard at Frawley n the trade period.

As a team we fold under pressure we play well on our own terms but fail when the torch is applied. We have to change to improv. Many of the regulars have consistently let us down and quite frankly just arent capable of taking us anywhere. They are at their ceiling.

Im not actually calling for wholesale changes. The team has plenty of maturity and importanly experience so we can afford to phase out a few of the older mediocre players and not lose too much if anything.

Imo we need to weed out the griggs, newmas, houlis, chaplins, petterds, batchelors and play blokes who have better attributes for the level, or just have an extra string to their game. We dont need to do em all at once just phase em out over the course of the yr.
Persnally id be looking for something like the following.

B; Morris 185/83 - Astbury 195/95 - Grimes 193/89 morris plays on the dangerous smls we dont have another player who can perform this role. Houli and Newman are poor at it. Astbury has shown he can play 1v1 on the bigger kpfs, Grimes is your third tall who will get the Gunston types.

HB; Vlastuin 187/86 - Rance 194/96 - Mcintosh 192/89 Dea 186/86 Menadue 188/70

The last three three id like to see establish themselves as reliable accountable running defenders.If Dea and Mcintosh could step up it would free Vlastuin up for a mid field role. Rance and Vlastuin speak for themselves.Menadue is probably more suited to a wing atm because of his size. Mcintosh is exactly what we need accountable hard running tall defender who kicks well. he has been cruelled by injury so far in his career, being 192cm is a bonus. Matty Dea has been around for awhile now he needs to go to the next level he has shown good signs at times but just hasnt found any consistency.

C; Deledio 188/88 - Martin 187/90 - B Ellis 181/84.

we need martin to get back to playing a little more inside imo.he needs to be better defensively and needs to go both ways a bit more. All three of these players have areas they can improve on. They are highly rated by most people but each is poor in certain areas.

HF; Knights 184/84 - Vickery 200/98 - Lennon 188/80.

Vickery is a concern unfortunately there is no one else. Time for Vickery to stand up and show he can play exclusively fwd and play consistently well. Lennon is a classy medium fwd and Knights needs to stay injury free hes almost the forgotten man.
One id look at playing here and fast tracking is Drummond. He played vfl last yr.just turned 20 and at 182/86 hes big bodied. He has a huge tank is super quick and lays tackles. He could also rotate thru the middle. He would help us enormously with defense in the fwd half.

FF; Griffiths 200/102 - riewoldt 195/93 - Edwards 182/81 / Butler 182/80.

There are no other real options with the talls. I would like to see both Mcbean and Mckenzie get some games this yr though. If three talls is the structure and it is for most teams, then we have to find a way to get games into both Mckenzie and Mcbean. I can see a scenario where we are pushing for finals and we lose two of our tall fwds to injury. To maintain structure we have to have replacements capable of at least competing at the level, some games behind them would be handy.
Edwards is more a mid who rests fwd and someone like Dan Butler could be given games. Hes quick, has good skills, knows where the goals are and again lays tackles. He has a defensive side to his game. Can rotate thru the middle as well. I would be looking to play him as much as possible.

FOLL; Maric 200/102 - Cotchin 185/85 - Miles 179/80

Probably our strongest area. I think Miles has plenty of upside and Cotchin can improve some areas and become an even better player.

INT; Hunt 184/78 - C Ellis 185/76 - conca 185/83 - Lambert 178/78. foley 178/79

Hunt imo will get Jacksons run with role. Cory Ellis should get games. Conca is still young and best 22 needs to improve. I think lambert will be a diamond in the rough at 23 hes ready to go..

mcintosh for houli, grimes for chaplin, lennon for newman,drummond for petterd, c ellis/menadue for grigg, mcintosh for batchelor, lambert and foley fight for a spot.

Its not what will happen but what imo needs to happen or similar. Theres too many who have reached their ceiling stopping us from becoming top 4. we must find better players than what we have in doing so we may take a step backwards.

Have a few concerns with him. One is a lack of pace for a sml fwd. The other is he just doesnt have an outstanding attribute.He has good skills but you need a bit more than that imo.

Also if we played Astbury, Rance and Grimes for Chaplin we dont lose out we slightly improve imo. Id dearly love for the club to go out and get a quality kpd, i was all for us taking Durdin or lever and would have gone hard at Frawley n the trade period.

As a team we fold under pressure we play well on our own terms but fail when the torch is applied. We have to change to improv. Many of the regulars have consistently let us down and quite frankly just arent capable of taking us anywhere. They are at their ceiling.

Im not actually calling for wholesale changes. The team has plenty of maturity and importanly experience so we can afford to phase out a few of the older mediocre players and not lose too much if anything.

Imo we need to weed out the griggs, newmas, houlis, chaplins, petterds, batchelors and play blokes who have better attributes for the level, or just have an extra string to their game. We dont need to do em all at once just phase em out over the course of the yr.
Persnally id be looking for something like the following.

B; Morris 185/83 - Astbury 195/95 - Grimes 193/89 morris plays on the dangerous smls we dont have another player who can perform this role. Houli and Newman are poor at it. Astbury has shown he can play 1v1 on the bigger kpfs, Grimes is your third tall who will get the Gunston types.

HB; Vlastuin 187/86 - Rance 194/96 - Mcintosh 192/89 Dea 186/86 Menadue 188/70

The last three three id like to see establish themselves as reliable accountable running defenders.If Dea and Mcintosh could step up it would free Vlastuin up for a mid field role. Rance and Vlastuin speak for themselves.Menadue is probably more suited to a wing atm because of his size. Mcintosh is exactly what we need accountable hard running tall defender who kicks well. he has been cruelled by injury so far in his career, being 192cm is a bonus. Matty Dea has been around for awhile now he needs to go to the next level he has shown good signs at times but just hasnt found any consistency.

C; Deledio 188/88 - Martin 187/90 - B Ellis 181/84.

we need martin to get back to playing a little more inside imo.he needs to be better defensively and needs to go both ways a bit more. All three of these players have areas they can improve on. They are highly rated by most people but each is poor in certain areas.

HF; Knights 184/84 - Vickery 200/98 - Lennon 188/80.

Vickery is a concern unfortunately there is no one else. Time for Vickery to stand up and show he can play exclusively fwd and play consistently well. Lennon is a classy medium fwd and Knights needs to stay injury free hes almost the forgotten man.
One id look at playing here and fast tracking is Drummond. He played vfl last yr.just turned 20 and at 182/86 hes big bodied. He has a huge tank is super quick and lays tackles. He could also rotate thru the middle. He would help us enormously with defense in the fwd half.

FF; Griffiths 200/102 - riewoldt 195/93 - Edwards 182/81 / Butler 182/80.

There are no other real options with the talls. I would like to see both Mcbean and Mckenzie get some games this yr though. If three talls is the structure and it is for most teams, then we have to find a way to get games into both Mckenzie and Mcbean. I can see a scenario where we are pushing for finals and we lose two of our tall fwds to injury. To maintain structure we have to have replacements capable of at least competing at the level, some games behind them would be handy.
Edwards is more a mid who rests fwd and someone like Dan Butler could be given games. Hes quick, has good skills, knows where the goals are and again lays tackles. He has a defensive side to his game. Can rotate thru the middle as well. I would be looking to play him as much as possible.

FOLL; Maric 200/102 - Cotchin 185/85 - Miles 179/80

Probably our strongest area. I think Miles has plenty of upside and Cotchin can improve some areas and become an even better player.

INT; Hunt 184/78 - C Ellis 185/76 - conca 185/83 - Lambert 178/78. foley 178/79

Hunt imo will get Jacksons run with role. Cory Ellis should get games. Conca is still young and best 22 needs to improve. I think lambert will be a diamond in the rough at 23 hes ready to go..

mcintosh for houli, grimes for chaplin, lennon for newman,drummond for petterd, c ellis/menadue for grigg, mcintosh for batchelor, lambert and foley fight for a spot.

Its not what will happen but what imo needs to happen or similar. Theres too many who have reached their ceiling stopping us from becoming top 4. we must find better players than what we have in doing so we may take a step backwards.

What are your thoughts in Tigers best 22? Chance for Corey Ellis to debut?

What are your thoughts in Tigers best 22? Chance for Corey Ellis to debut?

Wasn;t that whole write up his thoughts or are you after a summary?

Carlton :

Buckley Jamison Jaksch
Docherty Rowe Sheehan
Yarran Cripps Everitt
Thomas Henderson Walker
Menzel Jones Casboult

Kruezer Gibbs Murphy

Carlton have been slaughtered by turnovers in recent times and this has to change .
Carrazzo and Curnow huge offenders here , Whiley to replace them with Everitt very versatile and can play lock down role when needed .

Geez the Blues are going to have a tough year if that is your best team.

RICHMOND

BACKS: Steven Morris ~ Alex Rance ~ Troy Chaplin
HALF BACKS: Taylor Hunt ~ David Astbury ~ Bachar Houli

CENTRES: Brandon Ellis ~ Dustin Martin ~ Nick Vlastuin

HALF FORWARDS: Brett Deledio ~ Ben Griffiths ~ Shane Edwards
FORWARDS: Ben Lennon ~ Jack Riewoldt ~ Ty Vickery

FOLLOWERS: Ivan Maric ~ Trent Cotchin (C) ~ Anthony Miles

INTERCHANGE: Chris Newman/ Jake Batchelor ~ Chris Knights ~ Reece Conca
SUB: Nathan Gordon

From what I hear Steven Morris is training as a forward. One of the team's weaknesses last season was how we are unable to lock the ball in our forward line (ranked 15th) so we are training Morris as a defensive forward. He is quite quick and a good tackler so can play a defensive forwards role to stop the opposition's rebound. Possible replacement is the backline would be Taylor Hunt.

We have more depth in our back line for kpd. I would rate Astbury, Rance and Chaplain slightly ahead of Grimes and Bachelor, Lennon is also training with the backs and so I would expect him to play as a half back and Vlastuin to get more time in the middle.

My team for round 1 below, games played in brackets.
B: Chaplain(185), Astbury(37), Hunt(63)
HB: Houli(114), Rance(107), Lennon(8)
C: Ellis(65), Martin(108), Deledio(214)
HF: Edwards(152), Griffifths(35), Conca(71)
F: Morris(64), Riewoldt(157), Knights(101)
Foll: Maric(132), Miles(23), Cotchin(131)
Inter: Vlastuin(38), Petterd(83), Bachelor(52), Foley(154)
Total Games 2094
Average games 95.2
Emergency Ty Vickery, Gordon, McDonnagh, Newman, Drummond, Lambert , Menadue

A lot of the more experienced players are now fringe players (Foley, Newman, Chaplain, Thomas, Grigg). and as our 1-5 year players improve this will strengthen the team.

I would expect game time for McDonnagh, McBean, Menadue, Corey Ellis, Lambert, Drummond plus a lot of upside from most of the senior list. Hoping the premiership window starts 2016. We could give it a shake this season, but more realistically to win 1 or 2 finals.

Last edited:
Hunt is more likely to be a fringe/depth player. Don't see Lennon starting yet and Chris Knights will have a hard time breaking in to the side with injury.

Replace those 3 with Grimes, McDonough and Petterd who the coach seems to love.
Could easily see Lennon /Knights and Hunt breaking in for round 1 as Dimma is basing selection on NAB Cup campaign / preSeason form.
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-01-30/hardwick-looks-ahead

Would love litherland at the crows to allow smith to go into midfield...he looks super quick, does he lack a bit of polish with his skills? Like him a lot but I guess we've got enough of your players

Yeah he runs and kicks long but is not a silky user of the ball. Has been kept out by Hodge and Burgoyne spending a lot of time down back and hopefully form warrants a game this year and he gets 10 - 12 games, along with Duryea.

Carlton :

Buckley Jamison Jaksch
Docherty Rowe Sheehan
Yarran Cripps Everitt
Thomas Henderson Walker
Menzel Jones Casboult

Kruezer Gibbs Murphy

In regards to turnovers, Robinson, Lucas, Waite and Garlett have been cut.

For Curnow to be dropped, he would need to get smashed after hours like Robinson and be caught in bed with Nannette Malthouse after playing kick to kick with Daisy before a game.

I would be stunned if the coaches dropped a player with Ed's character and ability to run hard both ways...

John Nicholls Medal

Round 1 - Carlton vs. Port Adelaide
E. Curnow 9
D. Ellard 7
M. Jamison 6
B. Gibbs 4
K. Simpson 4
Z. Tuohy 2
A. Walker 2
C. Yarran 2

Round 2 - Carlton vs. Richmond
A. Everitt 10
C. Yarran 10
M. Murphy 8
E. Curnow 6
D. Buckley 5
M. Jamison 4
M. Robinson 2
K. Simpson 2
D. Thomas 1

Round 3 - Carlton vs. Essendon
D. Ellard 4
M. Jamison 4
A. Carrazzo 2
T. Menzel 1

Round 4 - Carlton vs. Melbourne
E. Curnow 5
K. Simpson 5
C. Yarran 5
D. Ellard 4
S. Rowe 4
L. Casboult 3
A. Walker 2
B. Gibbs 1
R. Warnock 1

Round 5 - Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs
E. Curnow 10
B. Gibbs 10
L. Henderson 10
M. Murphy 10
K. Simpson 6
R. Warnock 6
D. Ellard 5
S. Rowe 5
A. Walker 5
J. Waite 4
D. Thomas 3
Z. Tuohy 2
C. Yarran 2
T. Bell 1
H. Scotland 1

Leaderboard after Round 6

1st M. Murphy 31
2nd E. Curnow 30
3rd K. Simpson 25
4th B. Gibbs 24
5th D. Ellard 21
6th C. Yarran 19
=7th M. Jamison 15
=7th S. Rowe 15
9th A. Walker 14
10th A. Everitt 12

Leaderboard after Round 15

1st B. Gibbs 69
2nd C. Yarran 54
3rd M. Murphy 48
4th K. Simpson 45
5th A. Everitt 38
6th S. Rowe 33
=7th E. Curnow 30
=7th A. Walker 30
9th M. Robinson 29
10th D. Thomas 29

Even Jon Ralph wouldn't write this about Curnow.

In regards to turnovers, Robinson, Lucas, Waite and Garlett have been cut.

For Curnow to be dropped, he would need to get smashed after hours like Robinson and be caught in bed with Nannette Malthouse after playing kick to kick with Daisy before a game.

I would be stunned if the coaches dropped a player with Ed's character and ability to run hard both ways...

John Nicholls Medal

Round 1 - Carlton vs. Port Adelaide
E. Curnow 9
D. Ellard 7
M. Jamison 6
B. Gibbs 4
K. Simpson 4
Z. Tuohy 2
A. Walker 2
C. Yarran 2

Round 2 - Carlton vs. Richmond
A. Everitt 10
C. Yarran 10
M. Murphy 8
E. Curnow 6
D. Buckley 5
M. Jamison 4
M. Robinson 2
K. Simpson 2
D. Thomas 1

Round 3 - Carlton vs. Essendon
D. Ellard 4
M. Jamison 4
A. Carrazzo 2
T. Menzel 1

Round 4 - Carlton vs. Melbourne
E. Curnow 5
K. Simpson 5
C. Yarran 5
D. Ellard 4
S. Rowe 4
L. Casboult 3
A. Walker 2
B. Gibbs 1
R. Warnock 1

Round 5 - Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs
E. Curnow 10
B. Gibbs 10
L. Henderson 10
M. Murphy 10
K. Simpson 6
R. Warnock 6
D. Ellard 5
S. Rowe 5
A. Walker 5
J. Waite 4
D. Thomas 3
Z. Tuohy 2
C. Yarran 2
T. Bell 1
H. Scotland 1

Leaderboard after Round 6

1st M. Murphy 31
2nd E. Curnow 30
3rd K. Simpson 25
4th B. Gibbs 24
5th D. Ellard 21
6th C. Yarran 19
=7th M. Jamison 15
=7th S. Rowe 15
9th A. Walker 14
10th A. Everitt 12

Leaderboard after Round 15

1st B. Gibbs 69
2nd C. Yarran 54
3rd M. Murphy 48
4th K. Simpson 45
5th A. Everitt 38
6th S. Rowe 33
=7th E. Curnow 30
=7th A. Walker 30
9th M. Robinson 29
10th D. Thomas 29

Even Jon Ralph wouldn't write this about Curnow.

Well General , as the thread suggests , this is my team .
Curnow is committed but his disposal is just nowhere near good enough ... full stop .
Not interested in b&f votes in a side that finished where we did .
We must improve and changes have to be made , we've recruited Whiley so let's see what he's got to offer in that role .
As for John Ralph , well if he disagrees with me that's fine with me ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He made mention of finding players to take next step, maybe Lennon, Miles & Corey Ellis can have impressive years to get them higher up the ladder

Ellis has had foot surgery, it's doubtful if he plays in the pre-season. He may get some games against lower opponents later in the year, but he'll probably have limited gametime like Lennon did last year. At the moment Lennon isn't in the best 22 and has just had hip surgery. I imagine the club will try and ease him into games and give him a handful of games. But I don't think Lennon will get much game time this year. He may if he shows form playing as a flanker. Richmond does need flankers and Lennon and Ellis can play that position, Lennon can also play as a marking medium forward which probably puts him ahead of Ellis in the pecking order. As for Miles, he is easily best 22 and will probably continue to play his solid dependable style of football he displayed in the second half of last year. My guess is Miles plays all 22 games, Lennon and Ellis play scattered matches and improve a bit.

Thought I'd do a NAB Challenge update. I'll start with Adelaide

BACKS:
Luke Brown ~ Daniel Talia ~ Kyle Cheney/ Sam Siggins/ Jake Lever/ Sam Shaw/ Andy Otten

HALF BACKS: Brodie Smith ~ Kyle Hartigan ~ Matthew Jaensch

Solid back line, light on with big game experience but there's some good young players down there. Two AA defenders IIRC in Smith and Talia and a good balance of lock down defenders in Brown, Talia, Hartigan and the 3rd tall defender mixed with the attacking games of Smith and Jaensch.

Cheney's a great acquisition to the Crows and if fit is a best 22 lock for me especially with Sam Shaw and Andy Otten out for 2 months and 6 months approx. Jake Lever is a definite option to debut if Cheney isn't fir for R1. Will be a great story to see him play if he does after not playing any regular season footy during 2014. Has the potential to do it but you'd want good runs on the board during the NAB series.

Kyle Hartigan is the beneficiary of Ben Rutten's retirement and the best available option if Daniel Talia goes down. Becomes a very valuable player and needs to play with experience and composure beyond his relative senior inexperience.

MIDS: Nathan Van Berlo ~ Patrick Dangerfield ~ Sam Kerridge (tagger)

FOLLOWERS: Sam Jacobs ~ Brad Crouch ~ Rory Sloane

The best midfield in terms of names doesn't change too much but has the addition of a potential specialist tagger in Kerridge and returning from injury Van Berlo.

Kerridge played 14 games in 2014 as a tagger replacing the LTI Van Berlo and showed concentration in the role. A running machine who will look to fill that tagging role again freeing up Van Berlo to play as a ball winning midfielder in 2015.

Van Berlo is almost like a new recruit after missing 2014 with a strange Achilles injury. Quality midfielder with a lot of experience, past skipper and his guidance in the leadership group leading Walker will be vital. Without a doubt is a best 22 player for me but his game time might be monitored early.

HALF FORWARDS: Charlie Cameron ~ Taylor Walker ~ Richard Douglas

FULL FORWARDS: Tom Lynch ~ Josh Jenkins ~ Eddie Betts

Matthew Wright unlucky here but looking towards the future Charlie Cameron is an exciting prospect. Still light on in terms of his body size but was a livewire forward when played during 2014 and creates defensive pressure locking the ball inside 50. Good goal sense as well but his tackling pressure is what stands out with Eddie Betts being the main small forward goal kicker.

Douglas was third at the club for inside 50s in 2014 and second for tackles but is a proven goal kicker inside 50 as well. Class player who forms an important part of a second tier midfield.

INTERCHANGE: Scott Thompson ~ Mitch Grigg ~ David Mackay
SUB: Ricky Henderson

Mitch Grigg gets a gig but is arguably the most replaceable player in the 22 if his form doesn't fit what the Crows want. Like Kerridge is an endurance running midfielder but his decision making and lethal left foot make him a point of difference midfielder in the best 22. Potentially the only left foot preferred Adelaide midfielder.

BACKS: Ryan Harwood ~ Daniel Merrett ~ Darcy Gardiner

HALF BACKS: Jed Adcock ~ Justin Clarke ~ Daniel Rich

Good experience and class in the back line with Merrett, Adcock and Rich combined with the youth and relative inexperience of Harwood, Clarke and Gardiner.

Clarke and Gardiner have big jobs ahead of them but have proven in there short careers that they are capable of fulfilling important defensive roles. The experience of Merrett back there again will assist them greatly rather than throwing another inexperienced defender at FB.

Rich off HB has been talked about through the pre season as he returns from a knee reconstruction and to ease him back into competitive footy it's an ideal role for him. Long and precise left foot kick who knows how to attract the ball.

MIDS: James Aish ~ Dayne Beams ~ Sam Mayes/ Pearce Hanley

FOLLOWERS: Stefan Martin ~ Jack Redden ~ Tom Rockliff

Sam Mayes gets a early chance to show his worth on a wing with P. Hanley not expected to be available again until the middle part of the season. Thrown around in a number of roles in 2014 he has strong running power and class by foot. Ideal chance for him to play more as an outside midfielder delivering it inside 50 to his forwards.

Beams is a great accquistion and increases the Lions midfield depth. Martin, Redden, Rockliff and D. Beams as a starting midfield 4 is a powerful unit. A tap ruckman who works hard around the ground and 3 ball accumulating midfielders.

HALF FORWARDS: Dayne Zorko ~ Michael Close ~ Allen Christensen

FULL FORWARDS: Daniel McStay ~ Matthew Leuenberger ~ Josh Green

Leuenberger can rest inside 50 and use his height to advantage against a smaller defender. With his superior height may get the best opposition tall defender as well taking pressure off Close and McStay.

INTERCHANGE: Brent Staker ~ Lewis Taylor ~ Sam Mayes/ Rohan Bewick
SUB: Mitch Robinson

Mayes returns to the interchange rotations when a fit Hanley is available. I wasn't sure who to replace Hanley with but went with the experience of Bewick. Had a strong back end of 2014when used as a midfield stopper and averaged 20 touches a game himself. Endurance runner.

Claye Beams and Ryan Lester in the mix as midfielders also. Out of the draftees I'd watch Josh McGuiness from Tasmania and Liam Dawson from the Academy closely in the NAB series. McGuinness is light bodied but an above age draftee who was AA at the Under 18's last year. Efficient ball user and averaged high numbers at the Champs.

Dawson was an Academy selection and already has good size but with Beams, Redden and Rockliff already in the midfield he would be considered a surplus tall midfielder.

BACKS: Ryan Harwood ~ Daniel Merrett ~ Darcy Gardiner

HALF BACKS: Jed Adcock ~ Justin Clarke ~ Daniel Rich

Good experience and class in the back line with Merrett, Adcock and Rich combined with the youth and relative inexperience of Harwood, Clarke and Gardiner.

Clarke and Gardiner have big jobs ahead of them but have proven in there short careers that they are capable of fulfilling important defensive roles. The experience of Merrett back there again will assist them greatly rather than throwing another inexperienced defender at FB.

Rich off HB has been talked about through the pre season as he returns from a knee reconstruction and to ease him back into competitive footy it's an ideal role for him. Long and precise left foot kick who knows how to attract the ball.

MIDS: James Aish ~ Dayne Beams ~ Sam Mayes/ Pearce Hanley

FOLLOWERS: Stefan Martin ~ Jack Redden ~ Tom Rockliff

Sam Mayes gets a early chance to show his worth on a wing with P. Hanley not expected to be available again until the middle part of the season. Thrown around in a number of roles in 2014 he has strong running power and class by foot. Ideal chance for him to play more as an outside midfielder delivering it inside 50 to his forwards.

Beams is a great accquistion and increases the Lions midfield depth. Martin, Redden, Rockliff and D. Beams as a starting midfield 4 is a powerful unit. A tap ruckman who works hard around the ground and 3 ball accumulating midfielders.

HALF FORWARDS: Dayne Zorko ~ Michael Close ~ Allen Christensen

FULL FORWARDS: Daniel McStay ~ Matthew Leuenberger ~ Josh Green

Leuenberger can rest inside 50 and use his height to advantage against a smaller defender. With his superior height may get the best opposition tall defender as well taking pressure off Close and McStay.

INTERCHANGE: Brent Staker ~ Lewis Taylor ~ Sam Mayes/ Rohan Bewick
SUB: Mitch Robinson

Mayes returns to the interchange rotations when a fit Hanley is available. I wasn't sure who to replace Hanley with but went with the experience of Bewick. Had a strong back end of 2014when used as a midfield stopper and averaged 20 touches a game himself. Endurance runner.

Claye Beams and Ryan Lester in the mix as midfielders also. Out of the draftees I'd watch Josh McGuiness from Tasmania and Liam Dawson from the Academy closely in the NAB series. McGuinness is light bodied but an above age draftee who was AA at the Under 18's last year. Efficient ball user and averaged high numbers at the Champs.

Dawson was an Academy selection and already has good size but with Beams, Redden and Rockliff already in the midfield he would be considered a surplus tall midfielder.
Just a heads up, Claye Beams will play that Pearce Hanley role at half back. Harwood out injured for a while, wouldn't have him in my best 22 even if he's fit. Lester will most likely play that shut down role down back to replace the departed Patfull.

The rest is fine. Positions may vary, as I see someone like Zorko spending a good 70% of his time in the midfield this year because of his pace and aggression. Proven ball winner, too.

McStay's the tricky one. Would have Stakes at FF purely based on experience, but wouldn't be surprised if McStay takes over as the season progresses. Will also spend time down back and even on the wing.

Good attempt though, would only really change the two or three positions based on training reports and from what the coach has said.

FB: Hansen Thompson McDonald
HB: Atley Grima Firrito
C: Wells Swallow Harvey
HF: Higgins Waite Black
FF: Ziebell Petrie Thomas
ON: Goldy Cunnington Dal Santo
INT: Brown McMillan Mullett
SUB: Turner

FB: Stratton - Lake - Duryea
HB: Hodge - Gibson - Birchall
C: Hill - Lewis - Smith
R: McEvoy - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Puopolo - Gunston - Burgoyne
FF: Bruest - Roughead - Rioli
I/C: Ceglar - Langford - Suckling - Anderson

Round 1 team for mine. Frawley needs to impress in the remaining practice matches, he should once the rest of the backline is around him. Whitecross will push for selection as well.

B: Taylor, Lonergan, Rivers
HB: Mackie, Enright, Guthrie
C: Bartel, Caddy, Duncan
HF: Motlop, Walker, Murdoch
F: Clark, Hawkins, Stokes
FOL: Simpson, Selwood, Johnson
Bench: Kelly, Thurlow, Blicavs, Horlin-Smith

Likely to change quickly once season starts and the young guys improve. Young guys like Bews, Lang, Hartman, Kolodjashnij, Jansen, Kersten to be moving in as they improve, guys like Vardy, McCarthy, Smedts and Menzel to return from injuries, and trades like Stanley and Blease to push for selection.

FB: Stratton - Lake - Duryea
HB: Hodge - Gibson - Birchall
C: Hill - Lewis - Smith
R: McEvoy - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Puopolo - Gunston - Burgoyne
FF: Bruest - Roughead - Rioli
I/C: Ceglar - Langford - Suckling - Anderson

Round 1 team for mine. Frawley needs to impress in the remaining practice matches, he should once the rest of the backline is around him. Whitecross will push for selection as well.

No way we picked up Frawley to sit at Box Hill, definite starter for me

From what I hear Steven Morris is training as a forward. One of the team's weaknesses last season was how we are unable to lock the ball in our forward line (ranked 15th) so we are training Morris as a defensive forward. He is quite quick and a good tackler so can play a defensive forwards role to stop the opposition's rebound. Possible replacement is the backline would be Taylor Hunt.

We have more depth in our back line for kpd. I would rate Astbury, Rance and Chaplain slightly ahead of Grimes and Bachelor, Lennon is also training with the backs and so I would expect him to play as a half back and Vlastuin to get more time in the middle.

My team for round 1 below, games played in brackets.
B: Chaplain(185), Astbury(37), Hunt(63)
HB: Houli(114), Rance(107), Lennon(8)
C: Ellis(65), Martin(108), Deledio(214)
HF: Edwards(152), Griffifths(35), Conca(71)
F: Morris(64), Riewoldt(157), Knights(101)
Foll: Maric(132), Miles(23), Cotchin(131)
Inter: Vlastuin(38), Petterd(83), Bachelor(52), Foley(154)
Total Games 2094
Average games 95.2
Emergency Ty Vickery, Gordon, McDonnagh, Newman, Drummond, Lambert , Menadue

A lot of the more experienced players are now fringe players (Foley, Newman, Chaplain, Thomas, Grigg). and as our 1-5 year players improve this will strengthen the team.

I would expect game time for McDonnagh, McBean, Menadue, Corey Ellis, Lambert, Drummond plus a lot of upside from most of the senior list. Hoping the premiership window starts 2016. We could give it a shake this season, but more realistically to win 1 or 2 finals.
This is nearly bang on. Still reckon Newman will get a game unless injured. I would rather Lennon or McDonough but Newy won't be dropped unless injured.

Well General , as the thread suggests , this is my team .
Curnow is committed but his disposal is just nowhere near good enough ... full stop .
Not interested in b&f votes in a side that finished where we did .
We must improve and changes have to be made , we've recruited Whiley so let's see what he's got to offer in that role .
As for John Ralph , well if he disagrees with me that's fine with me ...
Your team isn't our best 22 if it excludes Curnow.

Full stop and not interested in the views of the coaching panel is pretty definitive when he isn't a butcher like you're making out. o_O

The club and Judd feel that the players had turned a corner last year with their commitment to the cause and professionalism. B & F votes are a good rating of quality team players who bust a gut. Making changes for the sake of change doesn't exclude a player and character such as Curnow.

Whiley is completely unrelated to Curnow. He was recruited as part of the Jaksch trade. He could replace Lucas or Robinson who were cut. Or Bell who might be best suited to a role as a defensive forward or forward due to his size and lack of awareness in traffic. Graham could lose his nominal spot to Whiley who is a bigger unit and a faster.

Carlton

BACKS:
Zach Touhy ~ Michael Jamison ~ Andrew Walker/ Simon White/ Kristin Jaksch

HALF BACKS: Sam Docherty ~ Sam Rowe ~ Chris Yarran

The best defence doesnlt change a lot from 2014. With the addition of Liam Jones inside 50 there is greater chance of Walker spending more time down back, with Walker under an injury cloud early Simon White and Kristin Jaksch might get a chance to show there talents early down back.

Docherty and Yarran are the main attacking defenders, however if I had to choose one to mix defence and attack defender I'd choose Docherty. Would rather Yarran be let free from defensive duties to uses his run, carry and bounce to advantage.

MIDS:
Ed Curnow (tagger) ~ Chris Judd ~ Kade Simpson

FOLLOWERS: Matthew Kruezer ~ Bryce Gibbs ~ Marc Murphy

Early in the season the rucking onus will fall on Cameron Wood or Robert Warnock as Kruezer recovers from injury. Otherwise the best midfield doesn't change a great deal. It definitely needs to include Curnow somewhere as a tagger

HALF FORWARDS: Dale Thomas ~ Lachie Henderson ~ Patrick Cripps

FULL FORWARDS: Liam Jones ~ Levi Casboult ~ Troy Menzel

Patrick Cripps as a HF is a different style role but I'd be using him in a fwd/ midfield role along with Menzel off a wing (if fit enough) to. If Cripps gets a good run with injury he will play a big part in a potential Carlton resurgence. Has the mature body size to dominate in the midfield as well as create concerns for opposition defenders inside 50.

Without seeing him perform live yet it seems Liam Jones will be a better forward at Carlton than he was at the Bulldogs where a lot of the tall forward focus as on him. This time he is behind Henderson and Casboult and will more than likely be playing regularly on an undersized defender. A really good chance for him to prove himself as a consistent AFL player. Something he couldn't do at the Bulldogs

INTERCHANGE: Dylan Buckley ~ Matthew Dick ~ Andrejs Everitt
SUB: Blaine Boekhorst

Matthew Dick is a recent addition to the 22 for Simon White. Will depend a lot on his form in the NAB Challenge but Carlton obviously like what they see in him because they chased him hard during the off season. Couldn't get a look in at the Swans and is virtually a matured aged NEAFL recruit to Carlton who has spent time in the Swans system. Versatile player with good endurance, strength and a long kick.

Boekhorst already showed what he was capable of in NAB 1 and should be a regular best 22 player for Carlton as more experienced players like Armfield, Bell, Carrazzo, Ellard are pushed to the VFL to accommodate Boekhorst and Dick. His run and carry from the back line or midfield and classy finishing make him an exciting prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back