Preview Round 7- Carlton vs St Kilda Monday Night 9/5/2011 - Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Just a quick stat for you - Saints defeated the Blues 12 times in a row before last year!!!!

You're not playing our 2002-2008 side. The last 2 times you won in the last minute and we blasted you. In 2009 you were in your best form and still struggled, last year again you made the GF but got crushed against us. This year you will not make the GF, you are not as good as you were in 2009 or even last year. That's all that's relevant.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Just a quick stat for you - Saints defeated the Blues 12 times in a row before last year!!!!
Exactly! This mob has flogged us enough to warrant respect. If we can get up by a couple of points I'll be more then happy. If the likes of Goddard, Riewoldt, Gram, Milne etc fire up they're still more then capable of beating us. Obviously we're in better form at the moment but I'd hate for our blokes to take it easy against "weaker" opposition like we've been known to do. That said looking forward to a good game of footy, hopefully our players can take another step forward tonight.:thumbsu:

No, we haven't forgotten.
How could we, but as they say," All good things come to an end" as did the hoodoo of us beating the Swans at the SCG, last week,

Most indicators suggest that we shall win tonight but I am sure I won't be the only one comforted until that final siren sounds, and we're in front.

The regular comment by BF Judd detractors is "he never hurts with his footskills". I feel this is a misunderstanding.

When Judd grabs the ball from a contest, he usually has a split second to kick (or he just does it instinctively). Usually he kicks to where you'd expect and want him to kick long to (i.e. if it's a wing clearance - the forward flank; if it is a centre clearance - right down the guts). However, these kicks are regularly rebounded. Not because Judd has kicked poorly (usually he doesn't have time to look), but because there is:

(a) no forward in the position you'd expect
(b) an outnumbered forward who gets shepherded out of the marking contest
(c) a one-on-one
(d) small backs waiting to run the ball out

Now (a) and (b) and (d) are almost always turnovers. (c) favours your small players because you do not have a key forward who will win the vast majority of his one-on-ones (think Riewoldt or Cloke), so the ball is brought to ground.

My thinking is that you either need a strong key forward or a leading key forward to alleviate this problem.

Now sometimes this does happen and Waite, Walker or a small forward does mark Judd's kicks. But it doesn't happen enough. This results in what is called the "Judd shank" which people think makes him a worse player.

Judd does, sometimes, shank the footy. But less than people expect. Same with Murphy.

Thornton might come in. He didn't play for the Bullants. It may just be to ensure we had one ready to go just in case.

Peake and Gamble both missed for Sandy though.

I just saw a story on the afl mobile website that said white has a suspected fracture in his leg and that Watson might come in for him.

I assume the jouno made the Watson part up since he played yesterday and Thornton didn't.

Can't get to the article on the regular afl website for some reason though

That let them back into the game. Plus the 2 huge blunders in the pressure stages of the last quarter. Garlett playing on instead of taking 30 seconds of the clock

I was not surprised nor disappointed with Garlett not wasting time. He wanted to win the game.

The issue with his decision is that, even though he is fast, Fletcher was facing the right way to catch him straight away, and he did not suprise the old man (it is in Garlett's nature to just screech off the mark).

Also- on topic. Supporters like a Monday night game. Would expect 40,000 easy.

cheers

So I assume Thornton will be in for him?

And why wasn't he named as injured after last week? Were they just trying to muck around with the saint's planning? Can't imagine it would achieve much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just found this on the afl website:

HEAD TO HEAD: St Kilda 47 wins, Carlton 157 wins, two draws

ten years of saints dominance didnt make the ledger respectable

HEAD TO HEAD: St Kilda 47 wins, Carlton 157 wins, two draws

I was thinking the same when Saints fans were chest-beating over 12 in a row or whatever it was. Yes, it was a dominant period. But Saints fans are picking the wrong club to call "scoreboard" against when it's 157-47 all time. :D

(everything eaglespremiers said)

Quit arguing with this eaglespremiers guy. He's freakin' bang on. We're a good forward structure away from being awesome. Our forward talls are a joke. The positive thing is, we have the rest of the season to find some combo of Waite, Hendo, Kreuzer, Hampson, oHailpin, Thornton (and maybe others) that works. The smalls and Walker are brilliant foils for a few big guys who can take marks and lead to the right spots. And kick.

I was thinking the same when Saints fans were chest-beating over 12 in a row or whatever it was. Yes, it was a dominant period. But Saints fans are picking the wrong club to call "scoreboard" against when it's 157-47 all time. :D

Quit arguing with this eaglespremiers guy. He's freakin' bang on. We're a good forward structure away from being awesome. Our forward talls are a joke. The positive thing is, we have the rest of the season to find some combo of Waite, Hendo, Kreuzer, Hampson, oHailpin, Thornton (and maybe others) that works. The smalls and Walker are brilliant foils for a few big guys who can take marks and lead to the right spots. And kick.

Don't tell me what to do. I wasn't even arguing about our forward structure keeping us down, just saying O'hailpin isn't our only key forward and we have amongst the best small forwards in the league to make up for our missing key target and Waite's not doing too bad either. Also that most games are won in the midfield these days in which they are and that is our strength. He said we would get exposed against Collingwood and Geelong backlines, which was not the case so far. He then said Essendon would trouble us. Well maybe they will but we defintely should've beat them when we played them this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back