Rating Noble and Rendell in Trade Week '11

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowfoot

All Australian
Jul 1, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
What is your opinion on the Crows Trade Week deals?

Davis comp + 10 to GWS for Crouch and Brown. That is a fair deal. Winner: Tie

Gunston for #24. Felt ripped off but kept getting told that the #24 pick was important for future trades. Winner: Hawks

Maric to Richmond #37 Pick #37 to St Kilda for Lynch. Meh. Winner: No Idea

#24 to GWS for picks #27, #31 and #68 Winner: Crows (just)

Armstrong + #35 & #68 for Lewis Johnston. Sydney then traded #35 & #68 for Tommy Walsh. Winner: Sydney

#31 to Essendon for Josh Jenkins & #41 Winner: Crows

We are left with picks #27, #41 & what?

Score: B

I'd say considering the circumstances of the defections and what not we did a good job of covering what we've lost. Managed to get players all in the same age bracket with a premium on skills.

I'd say between a B and a B+. Or a 7.5/10.

The Walsh trade has nothing to do with us, we are still clear winners there. And pick 24 has landed us picks 27, 31 and 68, with 31 and 68 used in the Jenkins and Armstrong trades, so it did fit in with other trades like we said all along.

A very good trade week for us, clear 2nd behind GWS, with Sydney 3rd I reckon. I rate us with an A/B+.

My preference was for Tippett to stay unless we got an outrageously good deal, so he doesn't come into my rating.

Given the starting point of players leaving and nominating the clubs of their choice, we have theoretically done very very well.

We won't really know fo sure for a year or so, depending on how Lynch and Johnson measure up

The snaffling of Couch and Brown was inspirational!! :thumbsu:

Has to be somewhere between a B+ to an A-, IMO.

Armstrong + #35 & #68 for Lewis Johnston. Sydney then traded #35 & #68 for Tommy Walsh. Winner: Sydney
Hahaha wtf.

We got Johnston at a bargain price.

If you're going to pull the 3 way thing it would be Sydney AND Adelaide winners, Saints losers.

IN:

Crouch - top 5 pick 2012 supposedly
Brown - top 20 pick 2011 supposedly
Lynch - #13 2008 (or thereabouts)
Johnston - #12 2008 (or thereabouts)
Jenkins - rookie ruckman
#27 - end of first round (top thirty picks okay then rubbish)
#41 - meh

OUT:

Gunston - was leaving, was good
Maric - top bloke, no hard feelings
Armstrong - whatever
#Davis compo pick - very useful
#10 - good pick 2011
#31 - could have been good
#35 - meh
#37 - meh
#68 - meh

Super happy with this. We look to have nailed trade week this year, contrast us with clubs that are up the creek without a paddle like... the Saints.

Ok, this is how I perceived it....

Crouch/Brown Deal - Predicting that Rendell would've taken Brown with 10 anyway, so in this deal we sured this up AND got Crouch for a compo pick = significant win to the AFC.

Maric/Lynch Deal - I don't think we got quite as much as we were expecting for Ivan, but this doesn't bother me in the slightest because I don't rate him that highly (all heart, that's about it) = break even, but really need more time to judge it.

Gunston Deal - all talk, no action from the get go. 99% convinced that all other trades would've proceeded as planned if we held out for more = loss to the AFC.

GWS Pick Swap Deal - liked it, helped with Jenkins and we've left ourselves some options come draft time = small victory.

Armstrong/Johnston Deal - best deal of the week, absolute steal. Found an excellent replacement for Gunston and brought a contracted SA kid home = huge win to the AFC.

Jenkins Deal - got our man, didn't pay much at all = small victory.

I'd give us an A, but all of the guys we've brought in have question marks over them in that they're largely unproven players. So for me it's a B+ :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must say it's been a long time since i've been this happy on the last day of trade week. A- for me.

Brad Crouch on Trade Week Radio

Will rate trade week quite well if any of our pickups play in rnd 1 next yr (excluding Crouch). Hopefully these new boys really put it to the others in pre-season! Will be interested to see who we take in the draft. Could be some good experienced players in the pre-season draft too. The Pies are saying they might delist macaffer and mcarthy.

I must say it's been a long time since i've been this happy on the last day of trade week. A- for me.

Brad Crouch on Trade Week Radio

Cant pick TWR up on my iphone. Can u paraphrase what he said? Would be appreciated. :)

I reckon the Gunston trade is neutral for both clubs. I really don't think any other club ever seriously made us an offer, or at least nothing better than what the Hawks gave, but we will never know I guess. I do know that we then used that pick 24 to get picks 27, 31 and 68, with 31 used to secure Jenkins (and getting 41 in return, no huge loss), and 68 was then used as steak knives in the Armstrong deal, which netted us Johnston.

And having already netted two highly rate first rounders in Crouch and Brown, pick 27 will net us a decent player anyway.

Basically, if you look at the trade in detail and how it affect our other trades, there is no way it can be considered a 'reaming' or 'loss' for the AFC, it is neutral at worst with the Hawks.

Way too early to tell for you guys.

Lots of talent coming in but no known AFL performers. If they all live up to their potential you will be stars if none of them make it you could come out looking like Crazy Vossy.

The truth will probably be somewhere in between.
Agreed, except for the Crazy Vossy line. He traded for proven triers at AFL level, which were speculative even at the time of the trades. With ours, it will be 3 or 4 years before this week can be judged fairly, and as you say, it could turn out to be a pivotal point in our clubs history.

Crouch is a gem. Elite mid.

Rate Brown. Smart and pacy which I love.

Not huge on Lynch but fills a need and needs opportunity.

Rate Johnston but he's not ready just yet. Good replacement for Jack.

Jenkins a good prospect, could go either way but didn't give up much for him.

Unders for Jack. Overs for Tony. Equal for Ivan. Don't like losing 10 but Crouch more than makes up for it. Didn't like the Tippett situation.

Overall a good week.

Nathan Thompson rates Adelaide as Trade Week winners so maybe I should re revise my score back down. :)

Apparently we have picks 27, 41, 46 and 64 in the draft.

Cant pick TWR up on my iphone. Can u paraphrase what he said? Would be appreciated. :)

Not too much really. Was only quick interview. Just talked about his junior teams, school footy and saying how he'll do yr12 in Victoria but play SANFL when he can

GAINED
Luke Brown, Brad Crouch, Josh Jenkins, Lewis Johnston, Tom Lynch
27, 41, 46, 64
LOST
Tony Armstrong, Phil Davis, Jack Gunston, Ivan Maric
10, 35, 53, 71

Don't see it as positive as most, hopeful but.

We have lost 3 players (based on the end of this year) in our starting 22 for many years to come, for 2 players with super potential and another 3 who were willingly traded by their former teams. Unlike us who lost 4 we would of kept if given a choice.

3 years time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Glad we kept Tippett as well.

Losing Gunston and Armstrong for what eventually turned out to be Johnston, Jenkins, 27, 41, 46 and 64 isn't a bad result IMO.

Overall I think we've done pretty damned well; especially when considering the circumstances going into TW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back