List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't we spend first rounders on Fogarty, Thilthorpe, Rachele, Milera, Pedlar, McHenry and Rankine?

All forwards at the time of drafting?

And from that bunch we ended up with two KPFs, a defender, two mid-forwards, a terrible spud and someone we traded for

We haven't drafted a good non-KPF pure forward capable of consistently kicking AFL goals in a long time

That’s actually a really lame comment. One of the biggest criticisms is the amount of capital we have spent on forwards - and they are goal kickers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We've drafted heaps of hybrid types that should be playing in the midfield but can't because we have no other goal kicking forwards

And from that bunch we ended up with two KPFs, a defender, two mid-forwards, a terrible spud and someone we traded for

We haven't drafted a good non-KPF pure forward capable of consistently kicking AFL goals in a long time
We traded for an All Australian small forward and then let him walk to the best club in Australia.

remember when people were flipping at the prospect of paying eddie Betts 500k per year? haha those were the days
I’ll never forget arguing with two non crows supporters and the old man who is a crows supporter that Eddie Betts would be worth every cent. They said Podsiaidly would be a better buy than Betts and that Betts would be lucky to kick 50 more goals in his career.

I won’t ever let the old man forget it. He did admit he was wrong though.

More to the point we have experienced mids that can't play anywhere else.

I'm sure both are related

We'd love to play Rankine in the middle more, but we can't because without him in the forward line we lose scoring power.

So it cycles around and we play the experienced midfielders more. We'd rather play Laird in the middle and Rankine up forward, than Rankine in the midfield and Murphy up forward. And for good reason.

If we're talking drafting non-KPF pure forwards, best position definitely up forward, we just don't do it. And when we do, we get the Rowes and Murphys and McHenrys

The last AFL standard genuine goal kicking small/medium forward we drafted was Charlie Cameron in 2013. Before that, Jason Porplyzia.

Haven't been able to find a Dan Butler or Tom Papley or Cam Zurhaar or Bayley Fritsch or Willie Rioli (all taken outside the first round since Cameron) or even an Orazio Fantasia type

You may be overrating the value of first rounders a tad. The par level for first rounders is not that high when you consider how many don't make it.

Davis
Talia
Smith
B Crouch (counting as a first rounder)
Doedee
Fogarty
Thilthorpe
Rachele
Michalanney

Fogarty par, TT at pick 2 is below par so far as is Rachele at 6. Davis left us, but yes abd the others are yes too. Although Crouch depends on what pick you assign to him.

Fogarty par, TT at pick 2 is below par so far as is Rachele at 6. Davis left us, but yes abd the others are yes too. Although Crouch depends on what pick you assign to him.
The problem with this sort of evaluation is that tons of draft picks at every level except maybe the top 3 are just not very good. There's lots of misses.

The last 10 pick 6s before Rachele are:
2020 - Denver Granger-Barrass
2019 - Fischer McAsey (lol)
2018 - Ben King
2017 - Jaidyn Stephenson
2016 - Sam Petrevski-Seton
2015 - Aaron Francis
2014 - Caleb Marchbank
2013 - Matthew Scharenberg
2012 - Jackson Macrae
2011 - Chad Wingard

I'm not sure any of those are clearly better than Rachele, even 40ish game Rachele. You could debate a couple of them (Wingard, Macrae) and it's probably too early to say on Ben King, but I can't see how he's below par honestly.

Well we do really need a premium medium marking forward, and there hasn’t been many better than Hayward this year… I’m not unhappy with that offer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we do really need a premium medium marking forward, and there hasn’t been many better than Hayward this year… I’m not unhappy with that offer
Best 23 next year?

Worrell ~ Murray ~ Michalanney
Milera ~ Keane ~ Hinge
Dawson ~ McCluggage ~ Sholl
Obrien ~ Soligo ~ Crouch
Rachele ~ Thilthorpe ~ Rankine
Hayward ~ Fogarty ~ Walker
Keays ~ Pedlar ~ Laird ~ Curtin
Nankervis

Best 23 next year?

Milera ~ Keane ~ Hinge
Obrien ~ Soligo ~ Crouch
Nankervis
Love the look of that, though I think Perryman (UFA) would be more likely than Clug (RFA)

Rich vein of form just now.

Will you still be saying the same when you realise in about half his games per year he has little to no effect? 10 disposals, maybe a goal if he manages it. You'd be happy paying $800-850k per year over 6 years for that?

Will you still be saying the same when you realise in about half his games per year he has little to no effect? 10 disposals, maybe a goal if he manages it. You'd be happy paying $800-850k per year over 6 years for that?
Well for us he would be the 4th or 5th forward in terms of defender ability.
So likely would do better for us than you.

That’s the thing, we could have drafted him and the bloke who didn’t is still there…
It's true. But we can deal with the here and now.
Nail a couple of free agents this year, get Tyler Welsh for free and 2025 looks pretty rosy.
And we'd then get further cracks in 2025 and 2026 to top up weak areas (wing, ruck).

Best 23 next year?

Milera ~ Keane ~ Hinge
Obrien ~ Soligo ~ Crouch
Nankervis
Think it is is very wishful season that McCluggage will be leaving the Lions.

10 disposals and a goal, that's better output than McHenry and Murphy who combine will be on $500-550K. You don't seem to want to loss him????

If we’re offering that number I’m sure other suitors (I imagine Carlton and Port primarily) are also offering similar. It wouldn’t be a figure completely out of the blue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back