Food, Drink & Dining Out I regularly defend Perth, but ???????

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah for you it does but others it doesn't.

I'm fussy about the places i go to; going to any place because it serves alcohol and food is absolutely not an option. I'd rather stay home.
in Contras defence, WA does have some strange pubs - given they didn't get the benefits of pokies and upgraded like many here in Adelaide.

Its all good. My quest for smaller establishments might be a function of age

supringly it has taken Adelaide an enternity to capitalise on its wine regions, the council is in the process of making licensing easier and we have had some fantastic establishments open up in the interim.

I guess I like wine, the location really doesnt concern me too much as long as it isn;t completely shithouse.

supringly it has taken Adelaide an enternity to capitalise on its wine regions, the council is in the process of making licensing easier and we have had some fantastic establishments open up in the interim.

I guess I like wine, the location really doesnt concern me too much as long as it isn;t completely shithouse.
I suppose the thing I hate the most is those awful Sydney beer barns

But now we are trying to replecate those pretentious laneway bars Melbourne has. Kind of find everything about them irritating, especially the people who work in them. I've always quite liked the Apocathary, as they seemed to do their own thing amidst the sleaze of Hindley Street and was very fond of the real thing in Spain, but i fear the Melbourne Hipster replication is taking hold.

But now we are trying to replecate those pretentious laneway bars Melbourne has. Kind of find everything about them irritating, especially the people who work in them. I've always quite liked the Apocathary, as they seemed to do their own thing amidst the sleaze of Hindley Street and was very fond of the real thing in Spain, but i fear the Melbourne Hipster replication is taking hold.

I was hoping it wouldn't be a replication of the Melbourne ones - but Adelaide's own take on wine and food.

A couple of weeks back, I went to The Art Gallery of WA for the Picasso to Warhol exhibition. Had a couple of glasses of wine while a jazz trio played, then went for a walk to have dinner. Checked out The Heritage and The Trustee which are 2 new bars/restaurants that have opened on St Georges Terrace but both were fully booked out and had a wait of an hour. They looked fabulous so a mental note has been made to go back.

We ended up going to Greenhouse which never fails to deliver and had a great dinner in a very relaxed environment.

I read an article recently about the ten best restaurants in Perth.
  1. Restaurant Amusé
  2. Rockpool Bar & Grill
  3. Dear Friends
  4. Divido
  5. Balthazar
  6. Pata Negra
  7. Kitsch
  8. Greenhouse
  9. Satsuki
  10. Jackson’s
I have eaten at 6 of them and have booked Amuse (number 7) for our anniversary next month. They are quality places that should be checked out by anybody criticising Perth for not moving forward. ((Pata Negra has great food but is massively overpriced, just quietly).

There are plenty of small bars in Perth/Fremantle nowadays. Cost is an issue as it is with everything in Perth, but as I said previously in this thread, I run out of money and babysitting credits well before I run out of things to do and that includes new places to go.

I am hoping to get over to Adelaide and the Barossa in the next couple of years so I can comment on that part of the world. As much as there are the boring Adelaide jokes, I reckon I will have a great time.

I enjoy West Australian wine. Visit Margaret River/Great Southern every year and stock up on so I am a fan. Red and White.

My uncle owned a bottle shop a few years back and is more knowledgeable than me as far as wines go. He also has more money and can buy whatever wine he likes. He pretty much only drinks wine from South Australia.

My favourite nightspot in Perth is "Black Betty's" after 1am when some punk rock chick band gets up on stage in short shorts and plays Blink182.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes they are

but the short term benefit for people like me is flash looking pubs at nearly every corner (i don't play pokies) and the ability to go to some pretty dodgy areas and still get a resonanble meal

Perhaps things really are different in Adelaide but the vast majority of pokie pubs in Melbourne seem to be bland venues filled with addicts and with another section for horse and dog racing (two things I don't give a s**t about). And usually awful music.

I prefer to pay the extra whatever for a meal (if I'm hungry) and go somewhere that is interesting (visually or otherwise) and has decent/good music.

Perhaps things really are different in Adelaide but the vast majority of pokie pubs in Melbourne seem to be bland venues filled with addicts and with another section for horse and dog racing (two things I don't give a s**t about). And usually awful music.

I prefer to pay the extra whatever for a meal (if I'm hungry) and go somewhere that is interesting (visually or otherwise) and has decent/good music.

I have the strongest aversion to pokie establishments; they're where dreams go to die. I hate the noises the machines make, i hate the stale and depressing atmosphere, they're hideous places.

I can't vouch for all places to be fair.

but the ones I frequent are fantastic venues with offerings that rival any "standard" restaraunt I have been to in the country.

My favourite nightspot in Perth is "Black Betty's" after 1am when some punk rock chick band gets up on stage in short shorts and plays Blink182.
Oh my god what is this I don't even I'm still laughing.

How much does a night out cost for most of you? It's exponentially more expensive in Perth. It's usually $100-odd, with about six or seven drinks, something to line the stomach and a taxi home. My, admittedly, limited experiences in Melbourne were about half the price.

I dont get why so many whinge about Perth. Sure its no tourist destination but its got most of things you need if you know where to look and its a reasonable clean city. Theres nothing stopping anyone from leaving. Sick of listening to a pack of whingers

I think much of the whinging can be attributed to the substantial UK population we have here ;)

Are West Australian's parochial about their wine? (As they are parochial about everything I expect so). They make good wine no doubt, but geez it's expensive.

Thats why most of the wine we actually drink over here is from New Zealand

A couple of weeks back, I went to The Art Gallery of WA for the Picasso to Warhol exhibition. Had a couple of glasses of wine while a jazz trio played, then went for a walk to have dinner. Checked out The Heritage and The Trustee which are 2 new bars/restaurants that have opened on St Georges Terrace but both were fully booked out and had a wait of an hour. They looked fabulous so a mental note has been made to go back.

Thats cute....:rolleyes:

The Greenhouse and most inner city bars in CBD Perth like the George, Wolfe Lane etc reak of total absolute 100% pure wank. And they flop out this this wank with ridiculous prices for food that really isnt anything special, but make everything sound fancy with weird names. The try to be like Melbourne but in the end they are all just completely cliche' and full of suited big shot pretenders - think Christian Bale in American Psycho.

What a s**t comparison and an insult to patrick bateman.

He had depth. I know it sounds like i'm trying to be a bitch to perthonians by saying this but it really is a crap comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back