Travis Boak - What is your Bid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could use pick 4 & 13 to get pick 1 in the mini draft. You could probably squeeze some change from GWS too.

Maybe, but I'm a bit opposed to the mini-draft - we don't really have the luxury of waiting for a youngster develop when we could just as easily draft two talented youngsters and get them developing ASAP.

What... you think it's sensible to trade picks 4 and 13 for pick 7?!?!

You crazy brah.

Relax - what you & I think is a "sensible" trade is irrelevant. Melbourne are clearly desperate & I'm sure Port would have a preference to deal with them.

BUT the boy holds all the cards, Port are NOT going to force him into the draft and receive sweet FA for him - it just wont happen. Sure the dumb-ass Port kids on here will threaten it - but it wont happen.

Boak is prepared to commit to Geelong & Geelong are prepared to commit to Boak. Port will be forced to deal - thats the system.

Demons only hope is if the deal falls over - Boak has no desire to become a Demon (at this stage.)

Now before you bring up Mitch Clarke its a completely different scenario on so many fronts.

Just for the record Geelong will offer a "fair" deal (might not be the best deal Port can get elsewhere) - but Geelong dont have to do that to secure Boak & Port will take it.

Dunno why Port people say he was a top 10 pick so they should get a top 10 pick. Based on that theory they should just do a straight swap with North. Boak for Cunnington.

Dunno why Port people say he was a top 10 pick so they should get a top 10 pick. Based on that theory they should just do a straight swap with North. Boak for Cunnington.

Correct.

Boak is definitely worth a first round pick, but it's based on his output as a player. Where he was drafted is irrelevant.

Correct.

Boak is definitely worth a first round pick, but it's based on his output as a player. Where he was drafted is irrelevant.
What will most likely happen is that Port will accept one of the first round or Compo picks, but it won't happen till late in the week and everyone else will have to wait for it.

Port supporters:

Pick 4 and 13 for Boak and pick 7?

If you want an experienced player instead we'd be happy to offer up Bate or Petterd; but I think you need to build through the draft.
That's a bloody sensible offer. We can't match that.

Not too sure that Boak will want to go from frying pan to fire, though.

What will most likely happen is that Port will accept one of the first round or Compo picks, but it won't happen till late in the week and everyone else will have to wait for it.

It's now a trade month, imagine what that's going to be like :eek:

Yeh, it'd go straight to the recruiter's door to demand his resignation.

You must have strange recruiting practices at Geelong. Most recruiters would be applauded for trading away one player for a better player at another club. Is that not how things work at Geelong?

It's now a trade month, imagine what that's going to be like :eek:
Oh please no.
You must have strange recruiting practices at Geelong. Most recruiters would be applauded for trading away one player for a better player at another club. Is that not how things work at Geelong?
Christensen is probably as good as Bartel at the same age. I rate Boak as a B-Grader - not quite the top echelon. Christensen may well become an A-grader, he is a 200-game player without doubt and may become a beauty.

Christensen is probably as good as Bartel at the same age.

Boak was better than Bartel at the same age. If Christensen doesn't finish top 10 in the Brownlow next year he's tracking behind Boak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh please no.

Christensen is probably as good as Bartel at the same age. I rate Boak as a B-Grader - not quite the top echelon. Christensen may well become an A-grader, he is a 200-game player without doubt and may become a beauty.

Would rather have Boak all day long imo

Boak was better than Bartel at the same age. If Christensen doesn't finish top 10 in the Brownlow next year he's tracking behind Boak.

Bartel at the age Boak is currently:
- brownlow medal
- All Australian
- premiership player

Also, I've noticed you play the whole 'oh but boak was a top 10 brownlow finsher'.. do you know how many average players have placed in the top 10 in the brownlow? It merely shows that he had one good year.

Fact is, he has not done that much since, especially this year.

- brownlow medal
- All Australian
- premiership player

I meant at Christensen's age, not at Boak's current age. Should've made that clearer.

strauchnyy said:
Also, I've noticed you play the whole 'oh but boak was a top 10 brownlow finsher'.. do you know how many average players have placed in the top 10 in the brownlow? It merely shows that he had one good year.

One more good year than Christensen has had. Geelong supporters are rating him on his potential, which is well ahead of his current output.

- brownlow medal
- All Australian
- premiership player

Fact is, he has not done that much since, especially this year.
Fact: he has been injured for the majority of this year.

Actually, opting for potential over proven talent is exactly what got Melbourne into their current mess.
That's not a bad point. All the same, if we gave up Christensen and he turned out to be a star we'd be kicking ourselves to kingdom come. Boak is a known commodity and a very good one; Christensen could be anything from a genuine A-grader to another Dessie Headland.

I meant at Christensen's age, not at Boak's current age. Should've made that clearer.

One more good year than Christensen has had. Geelong supporters are rating him on his potential, which is well ahead of his current output.

Seriously dont know why we are talking about Christensen as there is more chance of me marrying Jess Alba than him being involved in a trade for Boak but ill take the bait..

Christensen is Geelong's 2nd or 3rd BEST young player (behind menzel and maybe duncan) and is really his second season. Christensen cemented his spot in arguably the best AFL side of last year and lifted in big games, noteably the Grand Final to help the Cats get over the line. He has a rising star nomination, averaged only a couple possessions below J.Selwood in comparative first years. This year, despite being in and out with injury (usually concussion as he puts his head over the ball) he has again been one of our better players. In fact, Christensen almost dragged us over the line against Sydney.

You speak of Christensen as just 'potential' but he has had to break into one of the better teams of the modern error and he has done so with flying colours.

Back to the trade - I honestly think Boak will stay, and remind everyone that there hasn't been any strong indication he will leave BUT if a trade was to happen I think it will be this:

- either Comp or round 1 plus round 3
- either comp or round 1 plus round 2 for Boak and ports round 3
- either comp or round plus Gillies (port would probably aim for this if chaplin leaves)

now before all port supporters remind me that he was a top 10 brownlow finisher, I remind you that if Boak chooses Geelong, and given he is out of contract, Geelong hold the power. As such, the trade SHOULD be in Geelongs favour, say 55/45 which is what the above trades are IMO. I do not think port will spit the dummy and send him to the draft whilst the above are on offer. If you guys do tho - Geelong loses nothing, Port loses Boak and I can live with that.

- either Comp or round 1 plus round 3
- either comp or round 1 plus round 2 for Boak and ports round 3
- either comp or round plus Gillies (port would probably aim for this if chaplin leaves)

now before all port supporters remind me that he was a top 10 brownlow finisher, I remind you that if Boak chooses Geelong, and given he is out of contract, Geelong hold the power. As such, the trade SHOULD be in Geelongs favour, say 55/45 which is what the above trades are IMO. I do not think port will spit the dummy and send him to the draft whilst the above are on offer. If you guys do tho - Geelong loses nothing, Port loses Boak and I can live with that.

Careful, we don't want to give out the impression that we're telling Port to suck it up sunshine or you'll lose him for nothing, so haha - let's leave that to Pie supporters craving a Luke Ball.

If Port wants Gillies, all they really need to do is tell him and we'll have to give him whatever he wants - he's out of contract and Hawthorn were sniffing around him last year, too. We can't force him into re-signing and to be honest we owe the kid 1st-team football. Port would be mad to consider him to be worth a round-three.

Whether Christensen is better than Boak or will be doesn't matter.

Like I said, in reality those trades very rarely happen and won't in this case, so we're all wasting our time arguing over which club would lose out on it.

Careful, we don't want to give out the impression that we're telling Port to suck it up sunshine or you'll lose him for nothing, so haha - let's leave that to Pie supporters craving a Luke Ball.

If Port wants Gillies, all they really need to do is tell him and we'll have to give him whatever he wants - he's out of contract and Hawthorn were sniffing around him last year, too. We can't force him into re-signing and to be honest we owe the kid 1st-team football. Port would be mad to consider him to be worth a round-three.

Yes understand.

But you realise that us having minimal control should Gillies leave is the same as Port with Boak (if Boak wants out). All because they are out of contract.

Yes understand.

But you realise that us having minimal control should Gillies leave is the same as Port with Boak (if Boak wants out). All because they are out of contract.
Yes and no IMO - Gillies doesn't have a fraction of Boak's trade worth. In that way, he's probably more able to engineer a deal with the club of his choice, because we won't demand the same price for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back