List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I was responding to KE's post suggesting that our selectors had to be brain damaged for not having him in our best 22 players, when the fact is that he's not in our best 28. Suggesting that it is KE himself who is brain damaged would be grounds for an infraction on the grounds of personal abuse...

I don't agree with every decision that the selectors made this year. I thought they held onto both Mackay and Porplyzia for far too long before they were finally relegated to the SANFL.

But when it comes to the youngsters, the selectors have a far better idea of what they are and are not capable of - and how they're coping with the AFL games that they are playing (and Lyons coped particularly badly due to his lack of fitness).

I see his strengths. I also see his deficiencies, which appear destined to limit his AFL career - a lack of pace, a lack of fitness and downright ordinary disposal by foot. Those are career terminal failings. I also acknowledge that his lack of fitness meant that he struggled to recover from the AFL games he did play - something which his fanbois refuse to believe or acknowledge. His strengths are such that he'll always star at state league level, but when the pace of the game goes up (as in the AFL), his failings are exposed.

He's not the messiah, he's just a naughty little boy.

Fitness is one area that can definitely be improved with enough work. Plenty of footballers can make it with a lack of pace and lack of kicking skills (Cross/Priddis) (don't think he has the worst kick). He may not turn out to be a star but I can see him becoming a solid 150 gamer if he gets the opportunities. Has very clean hands in close, composure under pressure, and can get the pill. If he gets fit enough for AFL he will be a strong enough player as long as he plays to his strengths.

Lyons will dominate on swooping on the loose ball, if he gets his disposal right he will become damaging as an outside mid with some goal sence

Lyons always has been and always will be an INSIDE player my friend. This won't change due to his lack of speed. Would be like trialling Thommo / Luke Ball as an outside player. ie. dumb.

Fitness is one area that can definitely be improved with enough work. Plenty of footballers can make it with a lack of pace and lack of kicking skills (Cross/Priddis) (don't think he has the worst kick). He may not turn out to be a star but I can see him becoming a solid 150 gamer if he gets the opportunities. Has very clean hands in close, composure under pressure, and can get the pill. If he gets fit enough for AFL he will be a strong enough player as long as he plays to his strengths.
The issue is Priddis and Cross were/are ONLY inside midfielders. They have absolutely no value anywhere else on the field, be that moving forward briefly, having a run on the wing, or dropping back, due to a lack of kicking or marking skills. Just look at the WC board to see how quickly the fans have turned against Priddis. Not being able to at least pinch hit elsewhere severely limits a midfielder's longevity nowadays, unless they are a bonafide superstar at that position. As soon as Priddis and Cross dropped off the slightest bit on their play, people turned against them rapidly.

While fitness is obviously something that can be improved, it is a bit of a worry that after 3 preseasons his fitness is still not anywhere near what it should be. Without knowing what exactly goes on in the coaching box, I'd wager that his fitness is a major reason that he wasn't in the team for much of the year.

Kicking is a really, really important thing for Lyons to improve on. If you're an inside midfielder with little pace, it isn't the end of the world, provided you can at least dispose of it solidly when you do get it outside. You're right in saying Lyons isn't the worst kick, but his kicking is loopy, and not overly accurate. Getting his kicking to at least an average level would be a major part of him thriving at an AFL level.

Don't get me wrong, I think he could be a very solid AFL player, and was unlucky not to get more games, I just think that people are overreacting when they think that our selectors were insane for not playing him more.

To be fair, I was responding to KE's post suggesting that our selectors had to be brain damaged for not having him in our best 22 players, when the fact is that he's not in our best 28. Suggesting that it is KE himself who is brain damaged would be grounds for an infraction on the grounds of personal abuse...

I don't agree with every decision that the selectors made this year. I thought they held onto both Mackay and Porplyzia for far too long before they were finally relegated to the SANFL.

But when it comes to the youngsters, the selectors have a far better idea of what they are and are not capable of - and how they're coping with the AFL games that they are playing (and Lyons coped particularly badly due to his lack of fitness).

I see his strengths. I also see his deficiencies, which appear destined to limit his AFL career - a lack of pace, a lack of fitness and downright ordinary disposal by foot. Those are career terminal failings. I also acknowledge that his lack of fitness meant that he struggled to recover from the AFL games he did play - something which his fanbois refuse to believe or acknowledge. His strengths are such that he'll always star at state league level, but when the pace of the game goes up (as in the AFL), his failings are exposed.

As if he can't improve his fitness and kicking. One of these days you'll realise the world isn't static.

And if we didn't have at least 28 better players on our team list.

He's not as good as you think he is. And the selectors have a far better idea of his abilities and deficiencies than you.
Yep.

That's why they keep picking Petrenko, right? And gave Jaensch and Martin multi year deals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is Priddis and Cross were/are ONLY inside midfielders. They have absolutely no value anywhere else on the field, be that moving forward briefly, having a run on the wing, or dropping back, due to a lack of kicking or marking skills. Just look at the WC board to see how quickly the fans have turned against Priddis. Not being able to at least pinch hit elsewhere severely limits a midfielder's longevity nowadays, unless they are a bonafide superstar at that position. As soon as Priddis and Cross dropped off the slightest bit on their play, people turned against them rapidly.

While fitness is obviously something that can be improved, it is a bit of a worry that after 3 preseasons his fitness is still not anywhere near what it should be. Without knowing what exactly goes on in the coaching box, I'd wager that his fitness is a major reason that he wasn't in the team for much of the year.

Kicking is a really, really important thing for Lyons to improve on. If you're an inside midfielder with little pace, it isn't the end of the world, provided you can at least dispose of it solidly when you do get it outside. You're right in saying Lyons isn't the worst kick, but his kicking is loopy, and not overly accurate. Getting his kicking to at least an average level would be a major part of him thriving at an AFL level.

Don't get me wrong, I think he could be a very solid AFL player, and was unlucky not to get more games, I just think that people are overreacting when they think that our selectors were insane for not playing him more.
My point is though both of these players have had long careers and are definitely more than "state level players".

Vader I don't think he's currently best 22 either, but equally don't think he is destined to be a state league star. When your fitness isn't up to it your disposal suffers. Improve the tank and a fair bet that the efficiency will improve markedly.

BF posters can tend to over rate players, but they can also write them off too.

What I do think is that a side can only carry so many one paced midfielders in today's AFL. Thompson and Vince don't have pace but have forged pretty decent careers. Mitchell, even Swan is one paced. I'm not putting Lyons in the same class, but he could be a very handy player in the right team.

Lyons always has been and always will be an INSIDE player my friend. This won't change due to his lack of speed. Would be like trialling Thommo / Luke Ball as an outside player. ie. dumb.

Sorry just going off what I seen of him at sandringham, ball winning from the outside with ability to find the goal

Yep.

That's why they keep picking Petrenko, right? And gave Jaensch and Martin multi year deals?
Pets got a job while he was the best player available in that position. Once his form dropped away and they found other alternatives he started getting selected less often.

As for Jaensch & Martin - they still remain the worst list management decisions the club has made since drafting Laurence Angwin. Massive, massive brain farts and totally inexplicable decisions.

So Lyons to dees for a pick in the 20's .
Vince to a vic club (not necessarily dees) also for a pick in the late teens early 20's.
Polec to adelaide for wright.
What are people's thoughts on this?
Lyons = daylight robbery on Adelaide's behalf
Vince = fair deal
Polec/Wright = fair deal

So Lyons to dees for a pick in the 20's .
Vince to a vic club (not necessarily dees) also for a pick in the late teens early 20's.
Polec to adelaide for wright.
What are people's thoughts on this?

And then their is Hendo, Smack and maybe still DMac to be worked into trades

Vader - I'd stop bagging Lyons as you will just embarrass yourself again.

He will become a very good AFL player, for us or another club.

Vince and Lyons for a Jimmy Toumpas.

Push for that trade Noble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back