Oppo Camp 2013 non-Geelong AFL match and general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You clearly know the ER stuff well VD,

What would Cavarra bring to us?

Go Catters

We love men of character and leadership. He is a truly inspirational leader, modest, humble, polite, respectful.
And then there's his footy- courageous, slick, beautiful left foot kick, loves goals, in and under, great tackler, quick, agile. Possession accumulator.

So why hasn't he gone yet, I can hear you thinking.
173 or 174 cm, and 69 kg- he's tiny in today's climate of mids, but as he was captain of ER, B&F in the GF, and for the TAC comp, and for Eastern, he has the runs on the board.

He would be a great eventual replacement for Stokes, and I reckon he would be our version of Boomer Harvey- high praise.

You clearly know the ER stuff well VD,

What would Cavarra bring to us?

Go Catters

Have been to ALL the ER home games for the past 6 years, and my son went to school with Boyd and McStay so there is some bias along with the insight.

But Cavarra is exceptional. I'll follow his future with interest even if it's at Hawthorn. They seem to select classy left footers with an allegiance to Box Hill/Eastern suburbs.

They did, and there is lots printed about that. I'm only offering outside Geelong on this thread.
Fair enough. All I've heard about over here everything about the "multiple young guns drafted from the all conquering SA U/18 national carnival champs". Since Eastern won the TAC cup by 19 goals I would have though there'd been more fanfare about their boys being drafted than Geelong Falcons.

Fair enough. All I've heard about over here everything about the "multiple young guns drafted from the all conquering SA U/18 national carnival champs". Since Eastern won the TAC cup by 19 goals I would have though there'd been more fanfare about their boys being drafted than Geelong Falcons.
Agree. That will be my role then, so it seems.
They have beaten Falcons convincingly this year at least twice, specially the Prelim.

Agree. That will be my role then, so it seems.
They have beaten Falcons convincingly this year at least twice, specially the Prelim.
You've been pretty vocal so far. When I lived in Vic I always considered Eastern Ranges as the closest thing to an unofficial Hawthorn U/18 development club given the location. I was stretching my depressive state of losing to Hawthorn in the AFL Prelim and VFL GF by extending it to the U/18 TAC cup Prelim loss as well. I'm a glutton for punishment, it seems. Out of curiosity, do the kids around your area have a tendency to barrack for Hawthorn, or is it split amongst all the Victorian (and perhaps interstate too) clubs?

You've been pretty vocal so far. When I lived in Vic I always considered Eastern Ranges as the closest thing to an unofficial Hawthorn U/18 development club given the location. I was stretching my depressive state of losing to Hawthorn in the AFL Prelim and VFL GF by extending it to the U/18 TAC cup Prelim loss as well. I'm a glutton for punishment, it seems. Out of curiosity, do the kids around your area have a tendency to barrack for Hawthorn, or is it split amongst all the Victorian (and perhaps interstate too) clubs?

I have been a solo vocalist though, in that regard, don't you think? As you said, they smashed the finals series, and made Falcons look 2nd rate twice this season, yet all we read about is the strength of the Falcons. Perhaps a little myopia on this board, hence my efforts.

All teams.
Many years ago, my son was annoyed that all our family followed Geelong, who struggled, and most of his mates followed Essendon.
He was advised to remain patient and loyal, in more severe terms at the time, and the rest is history.
Lots of Tiger fans out this way.
Further in, in the inner East, Hawthorn reigns supreme, but we don't associate with them

Eastern has its home training facility in Kilsyth which is way out, and they play 2/3 of their home games at BoxHill , 1/3 at Optus Oval, unfortunately.

Can't believe GWS offered Didak a contract.
image.jpg

How did Tsitas play in that prelim V'dubs? Similarly Nick Bourke? Any recollection of the game or did you just have your Rangers hat on that day?!

Recall the game very well.
We obviously noted the players from both teams, and both those guys were amongst the possessions, particularly Tsitas.
But not listed amongst the best for Geelong, ? coughed it up a bit much. Targeted a lot and possessions under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see anything that Pickering does wrong.
He has to be close to the best going around.

If you're a player yes. If you're a club no. He ****ed Geelong and Hawthorn around big time. On both occasions he knew before the season had even started that Ablett and Franklin wouldn't be playing there the next.

He doesn't... but it's understandable that the coach doesn't want to be managed by the same guy that can help his players seek more cash elsewhere

If you're a player yes. If you're a club no. He ****** Geelong and Hawthorn around big time. On both occasions he knew before the season had even started that Ablett and Franklin wouldn't be playing there the next.

So he did his job well then.

Do you hate the guy or the deception necessary for his role as a player manager?

If you're a player yes. If you're a club no. He ****** Geelong and Hawthorn around big time. On both occasions he knew before the season had even started that Ablett and Franklin wouldn't be playing there the next.

Do you hate the guy or the deception necessary for his role as a player manager?

I don't think that deception is a necessary or sufficient condition for being a good player manager. Ultimately clubs will less trusting of Pickering and that will only be damaging to his clients (the players).

I have no doubt the next time a Pickering managed player A says "I will make his mind up at the end of the year" the players club will say "obviously being a Pickering player he is going to leave us" let's start worrying about stitching up other player's contracts. Player A is then in a severely reduced bargaining position.

You've been pretty vocal so far. When I lived in Vic I always considered Eastern Ranges as the closest thing to an unofficial Hawthorn U/18 development club given the location. Out of curiosity, do the kids around your area have a tendency to barrack for Hawthorn, or is it split amongst all the Victorian (and perhaps interstate too) clubs?

Generally Ranges is a bit more 'outer-east'. Hawthorn is still the closest club, but I think most of the kids from the Boroondara suburbs (around the Kew-Camberwell area) the private schools around the area and even the suburbs around Hawthorn's new base tend to be linked to the Chargers (not always, but usually). And the heartland for the Hawthorn zone that set the foundations for their 70s-80s dynasty is Stingrays territory.

I grew up around the area and Hawthorn was certainly well-supported then, but nothing outrageous, considering all the premierships that they'd won quite recently. I don't really remember any team dominating, with regards to support; it was a bit of a mix (obviously clubs like Collingwood and Carlton had plenty, as they probably do anywhere).

I don't think that deception is a necessary or sufficient condition for being a good player manager. Ultimately clubs will less trusting of Pickering and that will only be damaging to his clients (the players).

I have no doubt the next time a Pickering managed player A says "I will make his mind up at the end of the year" the players club will say "obviously being a Pickering player he is going to leave us" let's start worrying about stitching up other player's contracts. Player A is then in a severely reduced bargaining position.

You're not going to get many clients, if the clubs' interests are your priority.

You're not going to get many clients, if the clubs' interests are your priority.

It's about balancing between the two. If clubs are loath to deal with the guy ultimately that's going to result in a poorer deal for clientele. Moreover, most of these guys don't get pickers name out of the phone book; he is recommended by the club and or by other players. It's a dangerous game IMO.

It's about balancing between the two. If clubs are loath to deal with the guy ultimately that's going to result in a poorer deal for clientele. Moreover, most of these guys don't get pickers name out of the phone book; he is recommended by the club and or by other players. It's a dangerous game IMO.

Clubs may be loath to deal, but at the end of the day, if they want their man, they'll do anything to get him. Who the player agent is won't matter.

With respect to the angry ant, he should have known the conflict of using 'Player' manager Pickers all along - the club will always, and should be, second to the individual, in Picker's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back