Swans told to end COLA - OR be banned from trading in players for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

MODs... This thread seems to have alot of people talking about COLA. Should it be locked?

We've had a look and other mods have cleaned up where required. I (please note, just me not all the other mods) am of the view that it's definitely a main board topic and unfortunately it is extrinsically linked to COLA. The usual rules re: trolling, playing the man etc still apply but it is impossible to separate COLA from this news about a potential trade ban for Sydney.

Wtf that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

What happens if we want to (hypothetically) trade Sam Reid (on big coin) for someone on less coin? Is that not allowed?

We should be able to trade, if we run into salary cap trouble down the road than that's what we'll have to deal with- but banning us from participating in tradeweek is totally unfair (COLA is going/gone so now the Swans are disadvantaged compared to rest of comp). Fact.

Can anyone name another professional sport that adds, changes and makes up rules as they go? Now this, first Essendon/Port thing. Pretty Amateur.

I actually agree that this is stupid of the AFL for doing this... Mainly because it means the Swans can claim disadvantaged status and I can't pay out on them for being the AFL live child anymore..! Oh the woes us Hawthorn supporters face!

Sure take away our COLA.

Hawks had their COLA stripped by signing Frawley
What? All your trolling is obviously making you exhausted. My post was in responce to comments about Free Agency and your post that there were two teams in Sydney. It had nothing to do with COLA.

Ireland burnt the AFL (more so than Hawthorn) with the Franklin trade. I think people forget that Franklin was being touted as the player to launch GWS in western Sydney. People can talk of legalities and all sorts of thing but in the end Ireland broke a level of trust and good faith in terms of what the AFL is trying to do in expanding its market where it has invested massively. In fact, what Ireland did was make it clear that Sydney was threatened and would do everything in its power to defend its territory. This is not a good way to do business and shows either a naivety or total disregard for where Sydney fits in the scheme of things in the AFL world.
GWS play games in Canberra. They don't hold their major functions in the GWS area. Their base is on the eastern extreme of the GWS area. They formed a partnership (undoubtedly involving financial support) with a senior club on Sydney's northern beaches, while ignoring senior clubs in western Sydney.

Let's stop perpetuating the myth that the AFL via GWS are targetting western Sydney. They are clearly headed down the road of simply being a second, non-geographically based, Sydney club.

The timing of this is needs more focus. Was something big about to go down? Griffen to Swans?

Perhaps the AFL have found Sydney haven't been phasing out COLA in their 2014 & beyond contracts.

There has to be more to it for this to happen four days into the trade period, and six days into the FA period.

We've had a look and other mods have cleaned up where required. I (please note, just me not all the other mods) am of the view that it's definitely a main board topic and unfortunately it is extrinsically linked to COLA. The usual rules re: trolling, playing the man etc still apply but it is impossible to separate COLA from this news about a potential trade ban for Sydney.

Good amalgamation of intrinsically and inextricably. I might start using it :)

that is 'some evidence' - the words and actions of the swans and afl. what evidence have sydney fans given? simply that the swans have said they use it correctly. words. both are weak, but i would say it's more slanted to suggested the Swans abused COLA.
Excellent, please list the specific actions of the Swans and AFL. Once again, Swans fans do not need to produce anything at all, you're the one making the accusation, I'm simply asking you to back it up with evidence.

Not sure how anyone could side with the AFL on this one. Unless you just want to troll, this type of shit, the making up the rules on the fly, it's a damn disgrace.

Take Sydney and all the jokes out of it. If this happened to my club, i would be furious. I am sure the trolls would feel the same as well, in that rare moment of sincerity.

The timing of this is needs more focus. Was something big about to go down? Griffen to Swans?

Perhaps the AFL have found Sydney haven't been phasing out COLA in their 2014 & beyond contracts.

There has to be more to it for this to happen four days into the trade period, and six days into the FA period.

He would make no sense, we have midfielders coming out of our ******** and need KPDs

Which would mean the Swans would be forced to cut players they had they original understanding they were entitled to keep.

This is the most equitable solution. Swans have a choice.

And a gradual phasing out by the AFL would allow the Swans to make the necessary adjustments.

It might just be the way the media is presenting it, but painting the COLA as though it's something the Swans fund and instigate all themselves, without the league's help or approval, is a bit misleading and makes Sydney out to be bad guys and cheats.

It does smell like something was going to happen that was going to make people hate Sydney and the AFL more than they already do and the AFL jumped in..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the AFL announced that the Swans were due to remove their COLA completely in 2016, I believed the most sane thing for Swans to do was maximise the benefit in the meantime, and try to win as many premierships as possible while they had it. No point playing coy when the AFL is taking it off you for good.

If that meant chasing Ryder and rubbing everyone else the wrong way, then so be it. Footy clubs want to win premierships.

If that was the same thinking at the Swans then maybe this is the AFL's reaction.

I'd imagine with the cap space that was freed up by Malceski leaving, LRT and O'Keefe retiring, etc, Sydney might have had enough in the coffers to have a crack at a Frawley or a Mitch Clark. At a guess, the AFL knew this and put the hard word on Swans before the trade period to avoid the massive melt that would ensue (I'd probably meltdown too if they picked up Ryder or someone, TBH)

Ireland must have got jack of it and leaked it out to Fairfax.

So its ok to lose 3 established players and not be able to sign a high profile recruit to replace them?

If the AFL is petty minded to not stand beside its own rules what does that say about its integrity and belief system?

Laugh it up.
Who's next?

GWS play games in Canberra. They don't hold their major functions in the GWS area. Their base is on the eastern extreme of the GWS area. They formed a partnership (undoubtedly involving financial support) with a senior club on Sydney's northern beaches, while ignoring senior clubs in western Sydney.

Let's stop perpetuating the myth that the AFL via GWS are targetting western Sydney. They are clearly headed down the road of simply being a second, non-geographically based, Sydney club.

I don't know all the geographic details and trust that you do. My point was merely that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. In the employment world what Ireland did was act like a rogue employee working against, not with the company. I can guarantee you that the AFL would have been seething after the $10M Franklin contract. The contract in itself also sets a very dangerous precedent.

I actually agree that this is stupid of the AFL for doing this... Mainly because it means the Swans can claim disadvantaged status and I can't pay out on them for being the AFL live child anymore..! Oh the woes us Hawthorn supporters face!
You're quickly becoming the thing you hate

When the AFL announced that the Swans were due to remove their COLA completely in 2016, I believed the most sane thing for Swans to do was maximise the benefit in the meantime, and try to win as many premierships as possible while they had it. No point playing coy when the AFL is taking it off you for good.

If that was the same thinking at the Swans then maybe this is the AFL's reaction.
That doesnt explain the timing of the rule change.

that is 'some evidence' - the words and actions of the swans and afl. what evidence have sydney fans given? simply that the swans have said they use it correctly. words. both are weak, but i would say it's more slanted to suggested the Swans abused COLA.

Sydney signs the contracts, AFL administers the contracts and add the 9.8%
No slush funds, been addressed before
You're welcome for Schneider and Dempster post the 2005/6 Premiership wage push BTW

Was either the possiblity of Frawley or Patfull going there that got Mike's knickers in a twist
James Frawley, Melbourne
Likely to leave Melbourne in pursuit of greater on-field success, with a growing number of clubs clamouring for his services. Hawthorn and Geelong still seem to be leading the Frawley race, but Collingwood and the Sydney Swans have been strongly linked to the Demon in recent weeks
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-07-29/state-of-play-free-agents-syd

Ireland burnt the AFL (more so than Hawthorn) with the Franklin trade. I think people forget that Franklin was being touted as the player to launch GWS in western Sydney. People can talk of legalities and all sorts of thing but in the end Ireland broke a level of trust and good faith in terms of what the AFL is trying to do in expanding its market where it has invested massively. In fact, what Ireland did was make it clear that Sydney was threatened and would do everything in its power to defend its territory. This is not a good way to do business and shows either a naivety or total disregard for where Sydney fits in the scheme of things in the AFL world.
u did the exact same thing in defending your turf in regards to Tasmania. AFL wanted North and Kennett got in the way and signed a new deal.

U do what is best for your club, not the AFL.

If that meant chasing Ryder and rubbing everyone else the wrong way, then so be it. Footy clubs want to win premierships.

We didn't still have it for new contracts though. If we brought anyone in, big name or otherwise, they'd be getting no CoLA.

We didn't still have it for new contracts though. If we brought anyone in, big name or otherwise, they'd be getting no CoLA.
Whether this is true or not, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether your TPP would be higher than the rest of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back