Review Round 8: Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't measure it by that....you could look at those frees and find enough to suggest the majority of them could have gone the other way as well.

I think Pyke has been run into the ground in all honesty just needs a rest

Yeah now we just have to work on bringing the ball out of defence, feel like we switched to attack mode too quickly when we needed to be more conservative.
I think kudos to our defence who stood up much better this time around. Our mids put more pressure on but the Hawks were still getting first use too often and got a heck of a lot of clean inside 50s. Hawks also have the best record for trapping the ball inside 50. They apply a lot of pressure and leave no easy outs. Mistakes will be made, risks will be taken.

I think we saw the team things we all wanted to see in this game

i) Better pressure
ii) Better defence
iii) Cleaner inside 50s
iv) Better goal kicking

Given the frenetic and physical nature of the contest I'd have to say our disposal was good too, under the circumstances.

I think kudos to our defence who stood up much better this time around. Our mids put more pressure on but the Hawks were still getting first use too often and got a heck of a lot of clean inside 50s. Hawks also have the best record for trapping the ball inside 50. They apply a lot of pressure and leave no easy outs. Mistakes will be made, risks will be taken.

I think we saw the team things we all wanted to see in this game

i) Better pressure
ii) Better defence
iii) Cleaner inside 50s
iv) Better goal kicking

Given the frenetic and physical nature of the contest I'd have to say our disposal was good too, under the circumstances.

Our efficiency was better than the hawks and they are the best at it

I've had a bit of a chop at Pyke this week as it seems that Clarkson instructed his players to just run past him at every opportunity which makes me nervous. However there are people saying they just think he needs a rest and to be fair think that's probably a great idea as he has rucked for big percentages of time. Rohan looked cooked in the third after a big chase but seems like he was favouring his leg a bit so hope nothing too serious there.

Eight rounds in and we're top 4, level pegging with GWS and West Coast, while Hawks cling onto the 8 by percentage only in a group of six just one game clear of 14th placed Melbourne.

Eight rounds in and we're top 4, level pegging with GWS and West Coast, while Hawks cling onto the 8 by percentage only in a group of six just one game clear of 14th placed Melbourne.

Imagine back at the the start of the season and we said after 8 rounds we will be level with West Coast and GWS..!!

Watching a replay of game day

Loved all the boys smashing into lewis

Hawks actually have a fair few soft players

Couldn't agree more, seeing him target Jetta good to see Reid and the boys run over to help him out and put Lewis on the deck! Has to be one of the most hated players in the AFL with his trash talking and cheap shots on other players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more, seeing him target Jetta good to see Reid and the boys run over and him put Lewis on the deck! Has to be one of the most hated players in the AFL with his trash talking and cheap shots on other players.

Seems a rat

Though he is ok on 360

I think hawthorn seem offended anyone dare challenge them

Posting a picture of him should be worth a 3-day ban I reckon.

Back on topic, I watched the first quarter on replay this morning, was great to see us stand up to this mob physically for once. Tired of seeing them push us around. It's been a while since I've seen Hawthorn use the ball so poorly, I think we won the psychological battle early which may prove to be significant later in the season.

Spot on.
I think/hope other teams see this - and start smashing and softening Hawthorn from here. True, they are very talented - but it's hard to focus on silky skills when someone is just about to smash you. Langford, Mitchell, Lewis - absolutely copped it on Saturday. Ben McGlynn was a ferocious little rodent - great intensity.

Rampe was a lot better this week

I actually didnt mind laidlers game

Id love to see rohan get more reward for effort

I thought lloyd looked a bit lost and old man river off half back bar one awesome kick was awful

Also noticed some really ordinary decisions.
1. Mitchell puts head over the ball, is penalised for going into the legs. Rohan also got done for this when diving for the ball. Then Hawks player does the same a minute later - but Swans player is penalised for "in the back".
2. Mike Pyke on the ground, Hawks guy jolts ball out of his hand - Pyke penalised for a throw. Same with Teddy - ball knocked out, penalised for a throw.
3. Holding the ball against Grundy and against Parker near the posts - shocking decisions at crucial time.

Upside - next time we play Hawks, buddy will turn it on.
Downside - Hawks could bring in Stevic, Nicholls, Razor to play against us with McInerney. They would be unbeatable.

sam mitchell - great player - but little entitlement sook. Lewis likes to dish out cheapy's but goes missing if returned. Langford doesn't like the heat.
Buddy goes goalless but no talk about Roughhead's disappearance. (Buddy looked up and about until the head knock in the 1st, not sure if that slowed him up.)
Respect Hawks but over bowing to them. Well done Swans - good teams fined a way to win.

Rampe was a lot better this week

I actually didnt mind laidlers game

Id love to see rohan get more reward for effort

I thought lloyd looked a bit lost and old man river off half back bar one awesome kick was awful

Go and watch Lloyd again.

Ran all over the park to make space and present himself in attack then played a lot of clean up sweeping roles in defence offering himself as an outlet. Won the ball. Roved packs. Put himself in pressure situations to receive and be the outlet and due the quality of the opposition was caught a few times but so was everyone. Made a lot of space with disposals under pressure as well. Kid is a gun. zcannot wait till he grows up.

I thought his game was criminally underated for a 2nd season player.

And Kizza was as well. My god the tackling and pressure he provided for the whole game was immense and yet not too many rated his game. He was like his dad driving in at every opportunity. He and Hanners really made the win a possibility.

Go and watch Lloyd again.

Ran all over the park to make space and present himself in attack then played a lot of clean up sweeping roles in defence offering himself as an outlet. Won the ball. Roved packs. Put himself in pressure situations to receive and be the outlet and due the quality of the opposition was caught a few times but so was everyone. Made a lot of space with disposals under pressure as well. Kid is a gun. zcannot wait till he grows up.

I thought his game was criminally underated for a 2nd season player.

And Kizza was as well. My god the tackling and pressure he provided for the whole game was immense and yet not too many rated his game. He was like his dad driving in at every opportunity. He and Hanners really made the win a possibility.

I thought Jack stood up especially late i didnt mind his game at all.

I didnt mind lloyds game. I just thought he looked a little lost a few times, not calling for his head, far from it. I think it will be a big learning experience for him.

He never gives in, creates opportunities but got caught out by bigger bodies once or twice thats all.

Lewis likes to dish out cheapy's but goes missing if returned. Langford doesn't like the heat.
Buddy goes goalless but no talk about Roughhead's disappearance. (Buddy looked up and about until the head knock in the 1st, not sure if that slowed him up.)
Respect Hawks but over bowing to them. Well done Swans - good teams fined a way to win.

Agree with most of what you said - but not sure he really went missing...he is a great player, but just a real jerk on the field. Constantly taking cheap shots (I think some morons call this "tough footy") and then plays for frees when someone tries to give it back. He just doesn't need to do that.

Thought we did a great job on Roughy. I've been far from impressed with our defence this year. But they were impressive (overally, leave aside the unpressured turnovers) against the Hawks.

Spot on.
I think/hope other teams see this - and start smashing and softening Hawthorn from here. True, they are very talented - but it's hard to focus on silky skills when someone is just about to smash you. Langford, Mitchell, Lewis - absolutely copped it on Saturday. Ben McGlynn was a ferocious little rodent - great intensity.

This was the biggest thing I took from Saturday night - we gave a bit of physical argy bargy back when the Hawks looked to turn it up early on. None of the bending over we saw during the grand final - we stood up and gave it back to them. I'm not one for dirty football, but it was so important on Saturday night (and indeed for future encounters) that we made it clear to the Hawks that if they move to physically intimidate us, we will go back just as hard at them. To me, that was a big psychological hurdle that we overcame on Saturday night, which should leave us in good stead for future matches against them.

The next game in rd 15 or whatever it is is going to be a cracker, I can see a few reports coming out of this one, I think the Hawks will come out really aggressive after we really stood up to them on Saturday. They are the sort of team that needs to feel physically dominance over their opponent and I think that was taken away from them on the weekend.
Reid, Jetta and Jack wrestling that human debris Lewis to the ground was really really pleasing, this scuffle said "you cant fk with us you balding pig"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back