Freo's trading and drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

They are good, but it doesn't disguise the fact the rest of them are mediocre at best.
-34 year old Pav on the decline
-Mayne who peaked 2 years ago or an unknown soon to be 27 year old with zero AFL experience
-Taberner who's development went backwards sharply last season
-One of Griffin/Clarke who can't clunk marks to save their life

But mind you it's the same forward line you confidently thought would take you all the way last season, so who am I to shatter your delusions?

Your summary is sadly accurate. At the same time though it's not unreasonable to assume that Taberner/Apeness/Clarke continue their development into solid forward prospects. That coupled with Walters brilliance and the contributions from Ballantyne, Fyfe and Bennell (all other reasonable assumptions) means there is potential in the forward line. I'm not going to mention Mayne as I do think he should be dropped :p.

What, all of them? I'm struggling to think of a current better small forward duo than Walters and Ballantyne.

Here's what Walters and Ballantyne put together in 2015.

Walters - 44 Goals - 19 behinds - 54 tackles. 12 goal assists. (22 games)

Ballantyne - 15 goals - 13 behinds - 59 tackles 8 goals assists.(15 games)

Let's have a look at another duo.

Josh Hill - 40 goals - 18 behinds - 56 tackles - 9 goals assists ( 22 games)

Jamie Cripps - 34 goals - 30 behinds - 139 tackles - 22 goal assists (25 games)

Didn't have to go outside the state to find a better duo....

They are good, but it doesn't disguise the fact the rest of them are mediocre at best.
-Taberner who's development went backwards sharply last season

Care to substantiate this BS?

let me compare Taberner's first 3 years to Josh Kennedy.

Kennedy
29 Games
148 kicks
90 handballs
238 disposals
128 marks
18 goals

Taberner
28 games
162 kicks
84 handballs
246 disposals
102 marks
23 goals

Developing nicely I would say.

Kennedy
29 Games
148 kicks
90 handballs
238 disposals
128 marks
18 goals

Taberner
28 games
162 kicks
84 handballs
246 disposals
102 marks
23 goals

Hang on.

Kennedy was playing for a garbage Carlton team and then a garbage West Coast team. The teams he was playing for finished 16th, 15th and 15th.

Taberner has been playing for one of the best sides in the competition for his entire career, being delivered the ball by the best midfield in that time, even with Freo's gamestyle.

On the flip side of this, despite Freo's KPF crisis, the kids will have plenty of opportunity to develop with the likes of Fyfe, Mundy and Neale delivering the ball to them over the next few years.

Kennedy
29 Games
148 kicks
90 handballs
238 disposals
128 marks
18 goals

Taberner
28 games
162 kicks
84 handballs
246 disposals
102 marks
23 goals

Kennedy was also a year younger, but why let facts get in the way right?

How about you put up the stats from when Kennedy was the same age and nearly doubled Taberners ;)

wal let me save you the trouble

Josh Kennedy @ 22 years old
Games 16
Kicks 150
Handballs 52
Marks 110
Goals 31
Behinds 17

Matt Taberner @ 22 years old
Games 15
Kicks 83
Handballs 42
Marks 51
Goals 14
Behinds 7

If you are going to do a comparison, do it properly.

As for the sharp decline? 2014 Vs 2015 for Taberner averages per game
-1.3 Kicks
-0.6 Handballs
-1 Marks
+0.1 Goals
-0.2 Behinds
-1.5 Tackles

So he improved a whole 0.1 goals per game, but the rest of his stat lines went backwards. Still think it's BS when I said he regressed last year?

Like it or not you will play a resting ruck up forward, with further reduced rotations next season Griffin will be spending a lot of time in your forward line and will be part of your setup. Unless you plan on not having a second ruck, and having Sandilands go full games with not backup. So straight up 3 of your forward 6 will be Pav, Griffin and Taberner.

Walters and Ballantyne pick themselves, that's 5/6 spots gone.

Leaves you only one spot for Mayne/Yarran. So welcome to your starting forward 6.

You may rotate other players through there as a game wears on, but it still doesn't disguise the fact your starting 6 forwards are woeful.
I think the players you've mentioned are pretty accurate. Griff is a better forward than Sandilands. Ballas and Walters need no explanation. Pav is Pav. Please, please Yarran over Mayne. I'm not a Mayne fan. Really leaves CHF, which will be quite hotly contested this year. Our forward line is poor on paper, it didn't stop us this year and with more skill through the middle delivery should be deeper. We'll be top 4 still IMO. Our turnovers in the middle this year were woeful. That was the big issue along with our bottom 6, both issues go hand in hand.

wal let me save you the trouble

Josh Kennedy @ 22 years old
Games 16
Kicks 150
Handballs 52
Marks 110
Goals 31
Behinds 17

Matt Taberner @ 22 years old
Games 15
Kicks 83
Handballs 42
Marks 51
Goals 14
Behinds 7

If you are going to do a comparison, do it properly.

As for the sharp decline? 2014 Vs 2015 for Taberner averages per game
-1.3 Kicks
-0.6 Handballs
-1 Marks
+0.1 Goals
-0.2 Behinds
-1.5 Tackles

So he improved a whole 0.1 goals per game, but the rest of his stat lines went backwards. Still think it's BS when I said he regressed last year?
Great post

So the bounce of the ball in the drawn GF was an INEVITABLE consequence of Ross Lyon's outdated game-plan?

Most idiotic comment I've ever read.

What is your evidence base for this assertion? In 2013 Freo saved their best footy for the second half of the season and made the GF. An evidence base of ONE season doesn't make it a "tradition".

Again, you're hardly showering yourself in glory.

Ross Lyon's record in finals sits at 47%. Shithouse. Hence they don't bring their best when it counts.

Yes Ross Lyons game plan is outdated - it has been for sometime, it doesn't succeed.

You're like the Matt De boer of bigfooty - tries hard but ultimately is just s**t.

ie the softies who go missing time and again.

Gaff and Shuey were both consistent this year and performed in the big games, so you might want to update your thinking.

Gaff and Shuey were both consistent this year and performed in the big games, so you might want to update your thinking.
I watched Gaff. Mr Uncontested Possession.

Shuey loves the handball receive too.

At least they laid some tackles in the GF, unlike your captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched Gaff. Mr Uncontested Possession.

Shuey loves the handball receive too.

At least they laid some tackles in the GF, unlike your captain.

Well Andrew Gaff is a wingman, it's not his job to win the hard ball. Same way it's not Stephen Hill's for your mob. Unlike Hill though Gaff consistently racked up touches all year and didn't once get below the 20 mark.

Shuey averaged 10.5 contested possessions and 6.1 clearances a game, stacks up favorably to Lachie Neale who had 11.6 and 5.9 respectively. Since their contested stats are similar, would you say that Neale is also a soft handball receiver as well?

Well Andrew Gaff is a wingman, it's not his job to win the hard ball. Same way it's not Stephen Hill's for your mob. Unlike Hill though Gaff consistently racked up touches all year and didn't once get below the 20 mark.

Shuey averaged 10.5 contested possessions and 6.1 clearances a game, stacks up favorably to Lachie Neale who had 11.6 and 5.9 respectively. Since their contested stats are similar, would you say that Neale is also a soft handball receiver as well?
A clean takeaway from a ruck knock is counted a contested possession, when you consider that Naitanui dishes the ball into his rovers hands does it really count as a contested possession? Basically a tap out receive.

Stephen Hill plays inside far more than Gaff, is regularly started in the centre square. Gaff couldn't find a hard ball if he tried.

A clean takeaway from a ruck knock is counted a contested possession, when you consider that Naitanui dishes the ball into his rovers hands does it really count as a contested possession? Basically a tap out receive.

Stephen Hill plays inside far more than Gaff, is regularly started in the centre square. Gaff couldn't find a hard ball if he tried.

Considering Mundy and Fyfe get similar service from Sandilands, should we not be downgrading their games as well?

Hill 8.0 contested possessions and 3.2 clearances a game, Gaff at 7.6 and 2.8, that Hill is just so much more of an inside beast :straining:

What, all of them? I'm struggling to think of a current better small forward duo than Walters and Ballantyne.
Breust and Rioli have your two covered comfortably

Not that much of a struggle to think of surely

I'm amused by the Freo sheep who read his post and liked it, but didn't read further where it got debunked.

C'mon man, you've had two Freo posters genuinely agreed and responded to your forward line analysis that you provided, yet you're going to ignore that and highlight the posters who are fighting you instead?

Hill averaged a whole 0.4 more contested possessions a game compared to Gaff this year. That's about 10 touches over a whole season.

I know you're trying to bait for reactions judging from your posting in this thread, but if you're going to criticise Gaff calling him a seagull (especially compared to S Hill) is nonsensical at best.

Hill averaged a whole 0.4 more contested possessions a game compared to Gaff this year. That's about 10 touches over a whole season.

I know you're trying to bait for reactions judging from your posting in this thread, but if you're going to criticise Gaff calling him a seagull (especially compared to S Hill) is nonsensical at best.

No matter who you compare him to Gaff is a seagull. Why are you trying to defend the fact?

It's standard Freo operating procedure; don't address your own club's shortcomings, just put your fingers in your ears and point out opposition clubs' perceived issues.

It's not only a Docker character trait on this site, but in real life too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back