Hot Topic Should Essendon* be able to participate in the 2016 NAB AFL draft?

Should Essendon be able to be in the 2016 NAB AFL draft?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

CarltonFC1995

Debutant
Nov 30, 2015
Bunbury, Western Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Swan Districts
As it says in the title, should Essendon be able to participate in the 2016 draft? I don't think so due to the fact that this year they are going to be without 12 players which will give them a better chance of finishing rock bottom at the seasons end. It could almost come across as tanking hmmmmmmm..........

They must participate, especially if any of the 12 walk or retire. Would move their first to the end of round one and leave the rest where they are.

They must participate, especially if any of the 12 walk or retire. Would move their first to the end of round one and leave the rest where they are.
Moving their first to the end of the first round could mean that they end up getting 2 picks back to back in the late teens. I would prefer to move the first and second round picks to the end of the rounds and then leave everything as is maybe...

If it's inevitable that they finish 18th, they'll end up with pick 1. They were already penalised with a loss of picks a year or two back but it sucks if they get a gold medal.

A bigger question is what happens to the top-ups. If they want to stay with their club, I'd include them in the father/son & academy bidding system. So if the process does unearth a decent player, they're okay to continue so long as the club pays a fair price.

e.g. hypothetically
  • The Dons top up with Aaron Heppell, Dyson's brother. He plays 14 games and has the talent of his brother. Collingwood bid a 3rd rounder on him.
  • Port (Ryder/Monfries) like the look of Cam Giles. He only plays 3 games near the end of the season so no one bids on him and they get him for zilch.

Oh Yeah! Where da popcorn?

11webr5.gif

Moving their first to the end of the first round could mean that they end up getting 2 picks back to back in the late teens. I would prefer to move the first and second round picks to the end of the rounds and then leave everything as is maybe...
This for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's inevitable that they finish 18th, they'll end up with pick 1. They were already penalised with a loss of picks a year or two back but it sucks if they get a gold medal.

A bigger question is what happens to the top-ups. If they want to stay with their club, I'd include them in the father/son & academy bidding system. So if the process does unearth a decent player, they're okay to continue so long as the club pays a fair price.

e.g. hypothetically
  • The Dons top up with Aaron Heppell, Dyson's brother. He plays 14 games and has the talent of his brother. Collingwood bid a 3rd rounder on him.
  • Port (Ryder/Monfries) like the look of Cam Giles. He only plays 3 games near the end of the season so no one bids on him and they get him for zilch.
They were given an end of 1st pick back in 2014 draft & got Laverde, as well as pick 17 for Ryder. Makes only 2013 that really takes them out of the 1st round and even then had pick 26 from being able to trade Crameri.

AFL really punished them harshly :rolleyes::drunk:

I think there is a good chance they would have finished bottom 4 regardless of the suspensions so even if they end up with pick 1 it wont advantage that much. They have already had significant penalties mand as much as we despise the whole club and all of there fans a good and strong Essendon is good for the competition and any more significant penalties could end up terminal for the club.

I think they shouldn't be allowed to participate, the had a pretty bad 2015 season as it is and in 2016 without the 12 players they're pretty much guaranteed to finish last on the ladder. If the AFL choose to let the bombers take part the should give them a much later pick than what they would've originally had!!

Essendon should not profit from this as they appear likely to do. They should be allowed in the draft, but they should have their draft position frozen, I would suggest in 10th place. Another run of high draft picks might actually see them better off list wise in 2017, their draft position will not reflect their list, it will be more in line with where they would finish if they had tanked.

To put it in perspective, this is worse than our salary cap breach of the late 90's early 2000s. They are actually getting benefits from these sanctions. I'm not saying that they should be punished to the extent we were because we were overzealously punished IMO, but they need to be dealt with harshly. Also there is no doubt that Essendon have had time to lower the impact of the player sanctions as a punishment to the club as a whole as it's had time to rid itself of banned players and has done so, and has received good draft picks for some via trades.

You don't want everyone looking back on this in 5 years time and thinking Essendon did alright out of this because it assisted them in finishing low on the ladder in 2015 and 2016 and encouraged them to trade players for good draft picks and has actually assisted them in their rebuild.

The AFL need to be harsh but fair and a freezing of draft position would do this. They do not deserve to get rewards with pick 1, 19 and so forth.

The harsher we punish them, the longer they sit at the bottom of the ladder. They're going to get more top picks, we can't have our cake and eat it too.
The bans will arguably fast track their youngsters development, should they get punished for that too?
Their list, culture and probably finances are all ****ed anyway.

What's wrong with them sitting at the bottom forever? They can take their chances with endless Number 1 Draft picks like we did. Where exactly are we right now?
I agree, I'm happy to watch them get the next few spoons. The first draft pick won't solve their problems anyway.

Very happy for them to participate With their first pick being 101,102,103,104 etc etc..

Back