Slater v Thurston v Smith V Lockyer. What order do you rank them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh definitely at this point in their careers.

Coopers problem in that sense is the stars around him. Runs rings around any other 7 right now but. Look at the utter spuds the Blues put out against him
He doesn't have to like it....but he's allowed to exploit it. If he plays Qld win - if he doesn't they get beat - at this stage it is that simple.

Listen to all the storm hating Billy bashers on here.
How is anyone showing hate to that storm thug called Slater.
All people are saying that he is a great player but there has been 5-8 players better than him in the last 15-20 years.

He'll be remembered as storms 2nd best player ever.

All people are saying that he is a great player but there has been 5-8 players better than him in the last 15-20 years.

People just like Stor

Thug?

^ ha. He's not alone there but.

Anyway I'm yet to see anyone suggest he's not one of the greats in this thread, short of the argument over his pass to Benji.

Everyone agrees he absolutely has a place in the top 10 of the last 15 years, most saying top 5.

Ignoring Cam, the thread is ignoring forwards though bar the one dude who listed Scott (Valid too)

^ ha. He's not alone there but.

Anyway I'm yet to see anyone suggest he's not one of the greats in this thread, short of the argument over his pass to Benji.

Everyone agrees he absolutely has a place in the top 10 of the last 15 years, most saying top 5.

Ignoring Cam, the thread is ignoring forwards though bar the one dude who listed Scott (Valid too)
I admit being new-ish to the sport that I find it hard to rate the forwards against the backs. I can see how guys like Scott and Bromich are better than other forwards but comparing to the playmakers is much harder

Slater and Smith are good, Cronk is the best of the trio.

Of the 4 mentioned in the original post ......

1) Lockyer (the best full back I've seen in the 30+ years I've been watching, and the 3rd best stand off behind Lewis and Kenny)
2) Smith (the outstanding Australian hooker of the last 30 years, it's such an important position)
3) Thurston (a fine scrum half, but not as good as Johns, and arguably inferior to Langer)
4) Slater (a great attacking full back, but prone to defensive errors)

I'm a Roosters fan - from my time in Sin City during the middle to late 90's that encompassed Super League. I went to the Easts (they'll always be Easts to me) v Newcastle Prelim final at the SFS 2001 I think. Sat on the 20m line. Newcastle were all over us and lead into the second half. Newcastle were bringing the ball deep out of our territory, it was regulation stuff. Suddenly Fittler went and pushed Wing out of his spot in the defensive line (near the Centres) and you could sense something was up so I watched intently, Johns threw a cut out pass - Fittler read it and intercepted and strolled over for the best try I have ever seen - simply because of the genius of Fittler. Definitely a Kodak moment. Johns was a great player but I've got others higher.
That Newcastle game 2000, got them in the grand final against brisbane (which was a s**t game). That intercept though, great example of how he could read the play so well. Love seeing footage of him playing well after retirement (flood fundraising game, auckland nines), fit but obviously not like during his career but he can still just read the play, play the game at his pace so well. His cut out pass to put the winger away that game was awesome as well. And I was at the 02 GF when he lifted the Roosters over the line also.

Fittler is one of my favourite players of all time, great player at his best. Played some of his best football those last three seasons as well. Johns is the best I have seen though.

Of those four mentioned - Thurston, Lockyer, Smith, Slater. Thurston has been the key to the 10 years of origin dominance IMO, been there the whole time and been the clear advantage over NSW - we've been competitive in other positions but those halves have had it all over us, and Thurstons been the key. Lockyer was a high quality player also. Cameron Smith is the player you'd build a club around, gets so much out of his forwards, gets space for Cronk and Slater to weave their magic. Slater also has an argument as one of the best fullbacks of all time, but he's the icing on the cake rather than the playmaker or the guy doing all the hard work. Excellent player, his defence has improved enormously over his career also, and love the way he chimes into the backline. The try in the 2012 grand final is one of my favourite, best worked bits of footy between cronk and slater I've seen. But he's just not as crucial as those other three.

Would have Johns ahead of all four, and Freddy slots in better than Lockyer. There's a fair argument for Smith ahead of Fittler and Lockyer though.

Lockyer easily first while Slater would be fourth by a long way (and that's not being disrespectful to Billy at all).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between the two I'd take Thurston in a heartbeat
No way. Thurston got a lot of credit he didn't deserve in the GF last year. Yes he kicked a field goal right in front but Morgan won it for them and got no credit.

Thurston is sooo overated

No that is Slater when comparing to Thurston. Thurston has carried average plod teams to finals and has been so much better at rep level. It isn't close, and that isn't considering Fittler and Johns who are miles ahead of Slater too. Slater is very good don't get me wrong but he is basically a finishing fullback. Is he much better than Brett Stewart.

No way. Thurston got a lot of credit he didn't deserve in the GF last year. Yes he kicked a field goal right in front but Morgan won it for them and got no credit.

Without Thurston they lose by 40 in that game. Everything he did was elite.

Slater's a gun, but he's also done some pretty s**t things on the field. I'd take Thurston first simply because a great halfback's the key to any great side.

Bingo. You can cover losing a fullback. You struggle to cover any loss in the halves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back