2023 Pacific Championships + England vs Tonga

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just remarked on a Wigan fan site, that the detail on stats and so on, on the NRL site's report on the England/Tonga game puts the RFL's own efforts to shame. So that's where we are. But despite that, it's been a great season, and I don't just say that because my team won; most pundits are saying the same. We still continue to produce good young talent. The hope is that the NRL doesn't steal all of them. I'll be interested to see how KPP from Wigan goes at Newcastle. I've actually changed my view from 'Nah, not good enough for the NRL' to 'actually, I reckon he'll do fine' after a strong end to the season. We'll see. And we've have been a lot better against Tonga if we'd had Herbie! :)

I've only just thought to check, and I have all these Pacific Championship games on my watchNRL feed, and I hadn't even realised! So that's some viewing sorted out! :)

The Aussies are too strong in this format, could probably field a second XI that could win the tournament too. They don't even have Clearly playing who's probably the best player in the world right now and Tedesco wouldn't even be the best FB they could use.

Will be a very interesting game in NZ, but against a stronger Aussie side you'd expect a similar outcome, but potentially a smaller margin.

Brilliant performance Kiwis, I hope this can ignite a great rivalry in this sport because international Rugby league is building over recent times with nations outside Aus becoming better and better and I'd love for it to keep getting more competitive and really take off on the international sport stage, it takes a back-seat to our other national sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Aussies are too strong in this format, could probably field a second XI that could win the tournament too. They don't even have Clearly playing who's probably the best player in the world right now and Tedesco wouldn't even be the best FB they could use.
I swear every time I see a post like this we lose the next game.

Couldn't watch the game, so not sure what the hell happened.

I swear every time I see a post like this we lose the next game.

Couldn't watch the game, so not sure what the hell happened.
Doesn't matter what supporters say but the Aussies looked flat and effortless like they didn't care. Played timid with no adventure until it was too late.

Kiwis played brilliantly with passion and took it on.

Also, selection wasn't great, I dont know everyone's availability but guys like Walsh, Cobbo, Mam, should have been involved, Dylan Edwards is a full back or he's nothing and shouldn't be shoehorned in as a centre.

Tedesco isn't near the player he was and doesn't break games apart as often as others.

I'm not sure on the availability of Cleary or Mitchell.

Hynes was left on the bench too long.

A bizarre result that should never happen stacking that side against anyone else in international Rugby League, it shouldn't be losing 30-0 to anyone.

What was with that? Looked not great on TV. Is league just not cared for there and it's All Blacks or nothing?

Last week wouldn't have helped and the support for Rugby league is tiny in general. Time might not have helped either.

Doesn't matter what supporters say but the Aussies looked flat and effortless like they didn't care. Played timid with no adventure until it was too late.

Kiwis played brilliantly with passion and took it on.

Also, selection wasn't great, I dont know everyone's availability but guys like Walsh, Cobbo, Mam, should have been involved, Dylan Edwards is a full back or he's nothing and shouldn't be shoehorned in as a centre.

Tedesco isn't near the player he was and doesn't break games apart as often as others.

I'm not sure on the availability of Cleary or Mitchell.

Hynes was left on the bench too long.

A bizarre result that should never happen stacking that side against anyone else in international Rugby League, it shouldn't be losing 30-0 to anyone.
I am surprised how flat and effortless they seemed today after looking pretty switched on last week.

Yes with maybe 7/8 tests to play before the next World Cup it is time to move on from Teddy

Meanwhile a far from full-strength England side (no Young, Makinson, Farnworth, Walmsley, Havard) comfortably completed a series whitewash over Christian Woolf's Tonga side, who today showed effort, but little craft and less discipline.

That crowd was dismal and people are wanting NZ2 as the 18th team.

Well done PNG; deserved winners over Fiji despite a sub-par performance last week. Edwin Ipape excellent, he's been a big part of Leigh's success this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back