NRL NRL 2023 - Finals Week 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday 15th September
Melbourne vs Sydney Roosters (AAMI Park - 19:50)

Saturday 16th September
New Zealand vs Newcastle (Go Media Stadium - 16:05)

NRL 2023 - Finals Week 3
Friday 22nd September

Penrith v Winner of Melbourne/Sydney Roosters (TBC - 19:50)

Saturday 23rd September
Brisbane v Winner of New Zealand/Newcastle (Suncorp Stadium- 19:50)

A full non-NSW NRL Grand Final AND a full non-Vic AFL Grand Final in the same year? Sacrilege!

Bring it on! 😁
It'd be good for the two sports but Collingwood and Penrith are both in very good positions to qualify for the GF so I doubt it. If anything we're far more likely to see Brisbane in both GFs for the first time ever.

Still utterly shattered about last night.

We deserved a better outcome than we got.
Klein had a stinker. I agreed with what Robbo said after the game that even after that disgraceful knock on decision it doesn’t excuse our awful defence. Both tries we conceded were embarrassing, really.
And obviously Grant copped a high tackle and Melbourne should have had a shot at goal but generally I thought Melbourne got away with a fair bit. They tread a very fine line with their defensive line, their speed is obviously excellent but they were creeping up early the whole night and seemed to be able to do what they wanted around the ruck.

The Radley drop on our line and the ill advised raid down the short side on the first tackle 10m out from our own line were coach killers.

Very proud of the fight we showed and as amazing as that last play was from Munster and Warbrick it still feels very much like we lost it rather than Melbourne winning it

It'd be good for the two sports but Collingwood and Penrith are both in very good positions to qualify for the GF so I doubt it. If anything we're far more likely to see Brisbane in both GFs for the first time ever.

A Warriors win would be the best result for "the game" and a GWS one for AFL.

Correct. Ideally you want as much national representation for as long as you possibly can, but if that's not possible then you want representation in the areas that aren't considered heartlands of the game and, if you can, keeping one powerhouse club involved helps in maintaining the interest of the masses. For the NRL the non-heartland areas are Victoria where Aussie rules is the dominant code and Auckland where rugby union is the dominant code. Then you've got the Broncos playing the role of the 'powerhouse club' which essentially guarantees investment from most of Queensland as well as being good for the national representation goal too.

The AFL sort of has the best of both worlds right now with the rugby league heartland of Brisbane guaranteed to be competing in the home prelim and the hardcore rugby league heartland of western Sydney still a chance to qualify for the corresponding prelim, but even if GWS lose they still achieve the national representation goal by keeping Adelaide involved. To top it off the two historical powerhouse clubs of Victoria in Collingwood and Carlton are also confirmed starters in the prelims so you know the whole state of Victoria will be fully invested.

That's one of two results complete.

Really interesting to see the makeup of the remaining teams are 1x Sydney, 1x Brisbane, 1x Melbourne & 1x Auckland. I reckon that's the NRL's dream scenario and the only way it could be better is if the Sydney team was the more popular Rabbitohs.

Still utterly shattered about last night.

We deserved a better outcome than we got.
Klein had a stinker. I agreed with what Robbo said after the game that even after that disgraceful knock on decision it doesn’t excuse our awful defence. Both tries we conceded were embarrassing, really.
And obviously Grant copped a high tackle and Melbourne should have had a shot at goal but generally I thought Melbourne got away with a fair bit. They tread a very fine line with their defensive line, their speed is obviously excellent but they were creeping up early the whole night and seemed to be able to do what they wanted around the ruck.

The Radley drop on our line and the ill advised raid down the short side on the first tackle 10m out from our own line were coach killers.

Very proud of the fight we showed and as amazing as that last play was from Munster and Warbrick it still feels very much like we lost it rather than Melbourne winning it

I suppose you can’t get the free ride like last week every game.

The Roosters only won last week on the back of a referee howler in their favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really pleased with the Warriors win; after last night's convincing win for my team, that's quite made my weekend. :D Well deserved for their fans, who have had to put up with so much.

The non strip call that led to the winning field goal…

?? I watched the game stone cold sober and this didn’t happen. I remember an incident with the roosters having their hand on the ball and in trying to extricate it from there in order to free the ball, the sharks player lost it. They had the penalties and six agains in their favour all night, and had two chances of their own for a field goal - were given 3 penalties over the course of the game right near the posts that they could bang over.

It's party time in Auckland, a great win for the Warriors but I doubt they will get past the Broncos next week, ditto the Storm against Penrith.
I think the warriors can definitely beat Brisbane.

They have a lot of warriors fans in Brisbane and its a good match up for them.

Would love the Wahs to make it. Most of Australia is behind them ironically as other then Broncos fans everyone else can't stand them.

But I think Brisbane are more chance of beating Penrith on GF day if they were to be beaten.

?? I watched the game stone cold sober and this didn’t happen. I remember an incident with the roosters having their hand on the ball and in trying to extricate it from there in order to free the ball, the sharks player lost it. They had the penalties and six agains in their favour all night, and had two chances of their own for a field goal - were given 3 penalties over the course of the game right near the posts that they could bang over.

Blatant strip, would have been a penalty at half way and Sharks deep in to attack, instead Roosters score off the resulting set.

ponga is newcastles best player, basically got to take him out of the game and thats just what warriors managed to do. was like a ghost out there wouldnt even notice his presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back