NRL NRL 2023 - Finals Week 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday 15th September
Melbourne vs Sydney Roosters (AAMI Park - 19:50)

Saturday 16th September
New Zealand vs Newcastle (Go Media Stadium - 16:05)

NRL 2023 - Finals Week 3
Friday 22nd September

Penrith v Winner of Melbourne/Sydney Roosters (TBC - 19:50)

Saturday 23rd September
Brisbane v Winner of New Zealand/Newcastle (Suncorp Stadium- 19:50)

Lollll if that’s the worst missed ‘strip’ of the season it’s been an incredible year for referees.
No professional footballer should be losing that.

Right, so referee mistakes that help the Roosters are fine and normal, referee errors that go against the Roosters should be season ending for the referee...

Luckily you had no problem with the defensive line sneaking up all night last Saturday night when it was the Roosters doing it!

Right, so referee mistakes that help the Roosters are fine and normal, referee errors that go against the Roosters should be season ending for the referee...

Luckily you had no problem with the defensive line sneaking up all night last Saturday night when it was the Roosters doing it!

No, referee mistakes that are clear cut mistakes deserve a lot more derision than debatable decisions that aren’t even a clear error. The defender has every right to play at the ball and have his hands on it. That’s not a stripping motion mate. Last Saturday night when we were ‘sneaking up all night’ Cronulla were handed half a dozen penalties mostly as a consequence of us being pinged for doing it.

At any rate I had a bigger whinge about the rest of the refereeing against Melbourne than the Grant knock on, and I posted about the fact that a clear penalty to Melbourne near full time was missed.

I thought Robinson was a sook regarding the knock on.. everyone remember how he conducted himself following the 6 again call in the 2019 GF?

1. The 6-again debacle resulted in the right decision being made. All it prevented was Wighton being able to throw up a Hail Mary kick.

2. What exactly do you expect him to say the other night? This is almost word for word his response: ‘well it was obviously a knock on and it’s a tough call because you go from having a set of 6 on their line to conceding a penalty and then a try up the other end. But the fact was we defended it incredibly poorly and shouldn’t have allowed that try. It was bad defence and that’s on us not what happened before it.’

Honestly what do you expect him to say? It WAS a knock on, he didn’t blow up at the referee - Tedesco was far more scathing - he simply said ‘yes it was a knock on but we should have never conceded such a soft try.’

F*** me dead imagine if that happened to Ricky Stuart?

1. The 6-again debacle resulted in the right decision being made. All it prevented was Wighton being able to throw up a Hail Mary kick.

Patently incorrect. Wighton took the 1st tackle because he'd heard the ref call 6 again, then the ref decided it was the last tackle.

You don't just get to make up your own facts and hope it was long enough ago that no one remembers. Some of us still think about that multiple times a year.

Patently incorrect. Wighton took the 1st tackle because he'd heard the ref call 6 again, then the ref decided it was the last tackle.

You don't just get to make up your own facts and hope it was long enough ago that no one remembers. Some of us still think about that multiple times a year.

The ref ‘decided’ it was the last tackle because it was.
He had earlier incorrectly called 6 again based on the belief that the Roosters had touched the ball, which they hadn’t.

Wighton absolutely took the tackle as a consequence of listening to the first, incorrect call and not hearing the second call. Canberra were unlucky but had the original call stood, and Canberra scored in a scenario when they shouldn’t have been in possession, the decision would have been even worse.

The ref ‘decided’ it was the last tackle because it was.
He had earlier incorrectly called 6 again based on the belief that the Roosters had touched the ball, which they hadn’t.

Wighton absolutely took the tackle as a consequence of listening to the first, incorrect call and not hearing the second call. Canberra were unlucky but had the original call stood, and Canberra scored in a scenario when they shouldn’t have been in possession, the decision would have been even worse.

The reason I will always disagree with this, regardless of my Raiders fandom, is that had the ref let the 6 again call stand, he's made one mistake - albeit a bad one, in a critical part of the field, at a critical stage of the game.

By changing the decision and choosing to screw over the ball player who had heard the 6-again call and acted on it, the referee made a second mistake. Is it as bad? It's impossible to know, we don't know how it would've played out. Certainly the 2nd mistake was as bad for Raiders fans.

It's as simple as "2 wrongs don't make a right." It doesn't matter now, but it certainly would've been less controversial at the time had he "settled" for one mistake, rather than trying to fix/cover for his mistake by actively and deliberately choosing to make a second one.

The reason I will always disagree with this, regardless of my Raiders fandom, is that had the ref let the 6 again call stand, he's made one mistake - albeit a bad one, in a critical part of the field, at a critical stage of the game.

By changing the decision and choosing to screw over the ball player who had heard the 6-again call and acted on it, the referee made a second mistake. Is it as bad? It's impossible to know, we don't know how it would've played out. Certainly the 2nd mistake was as bad for Raiders fans.

It's as simple as "2 wrongs don't make a right." It doesn't matter now, but it certainly would've been less controversial at the time had he "settled" for one mistake, rather than trying to fix/cover for his mistake by actively and deliberately choosing to make a second one.

I agree, two wrongs don’t make a right.

But on balance, a team missing out on throwing up a kick in broken play (ironic given that the roosters lost on a Hail Mary kick on Friday) is probably a lesser penalty than a team having to defend a second set of 6 on their own line.

I felt for Canberra - they’ve always been one of my ‘second’ teams but there’s been worse calls than that over the journey, to them and other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back