Training Sean Wellman to Train Essendon 34

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise that this thread will be referred in sumbissions by WADA arguing that the players breached the terms of their ban.

Seriously, why are any EFC sources prepared to connect themselves to this story. How ******* stupid can they be?

Why is it not AFLPA sources, who are supposed to be making the arrangements, that are being referred to?

I would have thought that we have found out the really hard way that the "she'll be right mate" approach of so called professionals in professional sporting organizations does not cut it in the real world.

Last edited:
You do realise that this thread will be referred in sumbissions by WADA arguing that the players breached the terms of their ban.

Seriously, why are any EFC sources prepared to connect themselves to this story. How ******* stupid can they be?

Why is it not AFLPA sources, who are supposed to be making the arrangements, that are being referred to?
I think that's drawing a rather long bow Bruno. It may have been EFC sources because EFC sources were who RoCo was speaking to at the time. They would have knowledge of what's happening and the idea that they should proffer up a strict "no comment" whenever spoken to about the players is a little silly imo.

The rest of the article talks about "the players rejecting Malthouse" and "the players have planned their first training session at an undisclosed location" and "the group are believed to be happy under Wellman's guidance". It is clear the agency is with the players and not the club. I know EFC haven't exactly been rocket surgeons in the last 3 or 4 years but there is no reason to suppose that they would be dumb enough to breach the terms of the players ban.

Wada would need a fair bit more than some anonymous EFC sources being aware of what's going on to make that kind of argument, even supposing that they wanted to, which I can't imagine they would. Why would they, unless there's a clear breach of the terms?

Hopefully Wellman finds some love for the game again. Wouldn't mind him back on the coaching panel next year.

Good stuff anyway, knows most of the players pretty well so should have no issues throughout the year.

I think that's drawing a rather long bow Bruno. It may have been EFC sources because EFC sources were who RoCo was speaking to at the time. They would have knowledge of what's happening and the idea that they should proffer up a strict "no comment" whenever spoken to about the players is a little silly imo.

The rest of the article talks about "the players rejecting Malthouse" and "the players have planned their first training session at an undisclosed location" and "the group are believed to be happy under Wellman's guidance". It is clear the agency is with the players and not the club. I know EFC haven't exactly been rocket surgeons in the last 3 or 4 years but there is no reason to suppose that they would be dumb enough to breach the terms of the players ban.

Wada would need a fair bit more than some anonymous EFC sources being aware of what's going on to make that kind of argument, even supposing that they wanted to, which I can't imagine they would. Why would they, unless there's a clear breach of the terms?

The media doesn't get it or they are trying to trip the club and its representatives up. Listen to the way those morons on 3AW discussed the issue with Zak Merrett.

I would not have thought that anyone connected with the club should be talking about the banned players training. There is a difference between being allowed to know and allowed to discuss it and being so desperate to be relevant that you allow a journalist to credit you as an EFC source.

If, as the source, you were dumb enough to allow that to occur rather than allow the PA to make its announcement or, better yet, refer the journo to the PA for a comment, I have to wonder whether you really understand the restrictions that are in place. I am not usually one for blanket bans but there are times when they are necessary and this would seem to be one of those times.

You only have to listen to how carefully Worsfold chooses his words when discussing the issue. That caution is undermined if club insiders feed the perception that the club knows about the training regime before it is official and are talking to the media about it. The club is not supposed to have any involvement.

The media doesn't get it or they are trying to trip the club and its representatives up. Listen to the way those morons on 3AW discussed the issue with Zak Merrett.

I would not have thought that anyone connected with the club should be talking about the banned players training. There is a difference between being allowed to know and allowed to discuss it and being so desperate to be relevant that you allow a journalist to credit you as an EFC source.

If, as the source, you were dumb enough to allow that to occur rather than allow the PA to make its announcement or, better yet, refer the journo to the PA for a comment, I have to wonder whether you really understand the restrictions that are in place. I am not usually one for blanket bans but there are times when they are necessary and this would seem to be one of those times.

You only have to listen to how carefully Worsfold chooses his words when discussing the issue. That caution is undermined if club insiders feed the perception that the club knows about the training regime before it is official and are talking to the media about it. The club is not supposed to have any involvement.
yeah but to be fair a "club source" could be Billy from marketing. Look, I'm all for ensuring the conditions of the ban aren't breached but it seems to me a bit of an over reaction to seize upon a single line in an article that says anonymous club sources have said yes when RoCo has asked them if it's true Wellman is training them.

There is absolutely nothing in the rules that forbid the club or it's people simply talking about the players and I tend to think it's Orwellian-light to suggest that should occur. Hate to say it Bruno me old mate but that sounds like something I'd expect to read on the HTB :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah but to be fair a "club source" could be Billy from marketing. Look, I'm all for ensuring the conditions of the ban aren't breached but it seems to me a bit of an over reaction to seize upon a single line in an article that says anonymous club sources have said yes when RoCo has asked them if it's true Wellman is training them.

There is absolutely nothing in the rules that forbid the club or it's people simply talking about the players and I tend to think it's Orwellian-light to suggest that should occur. Hate to say it Bruno me old mate but that sounds like something I'd expect to read on the HTB :p

Why should the club comment on any aspect of the players' training when it is not allowed to be involved?

Listen to Worsfold, even though he probably knew Wellman was going to be involved he denied it. .

That it probably is "Billy from marketing" is exactly why there should be a blanket ban. As if we need WADA sniffing around creating angst because that flog wants to big note himself.

Why should the club comment on any aspect of the players' training when it is not allowed to be involved?

Listen to Worsfold, even though he probably knew Wellman was going to be involved he denied it. .

That it probably is "Billy from marketing" is exactly why there should be a blanket ban. As if we need WADA sniffing around creating angst because that flog wants to big note himself.
well, for starters it's not Billy's fault, it's RoCo asking the questions. Billy isn't big-noting himself is he? He's not approaching RoCo and saying "RoCo old mate, I have a scoop, call me an EFC source and I'll give you the good oil". I mean, that's ridiculous. Whatever has happened, RoCo has asked the question and it's been answered, and RoCo is the one who has asserted this person is an EFC source, not the person, whether he or she is the orange peeler or the club president.

In any case, the main point is that your concern must surely stem from the actual wada rules; ie the ban against players being involved in activities organised by the club. However I think you need to separate that conceptually from club and club personnel being able to comment on the players. It's not like the club put out a press statement, it was a journalist asking questions.

Now, as for wada, what is your actual concern? Where is this "wada sniffing around" coming from? First and foremost there would need to be a breach of the terms, such as what I outlined above. I don't see any indication that's occurred, do you? Serious question, I want to understand your angst over this. Every thing in that article indicates it is the players who have sole agency - they are making the decisions. The only thing that seems to be an issue for you is that a club source, whatever that means, said yes when RoCo asked them if Wellman was training the players. I can't understand why that's a concern for you, because it isn't in any way shape or form against any rules whatsoever?

I understand where Bruno is coming from but think he is over-reacting - I expect the players training to end up a media circus and of course we have the sleuths from the HTB - Even if WADA became heavy-handed, I'd expect the AFL to reject any recommendation from WADA.

I understand where Bruno is coming from but think he is over-reacting - I expect the players training to end up a media circus and of course we have the sleuths from the HTB - Even if WADA became heavy-handed, I'd expect the AFL to reject any recommendation from WADA.
There was some dodgy looking pic twattered today of them supposedly training. I think you're right. Hopefully it will be reported on less once the season starts.

Wada's job is done they got what they wanted and should leave the players alone now.
Pretty much. So much has been spent on this investigation and relationships between the AFL strained to the point where I don't think they'll bother to investigate a feeling of a possibility that EFC might be organizing somebody to organize a trainer for their players.

Long week mate? All good, weekend is here.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ban...t/news-story/fd1c2ab65567f8ee8fa183f417055116

Banned Essendon players, including Jobe Watson and Dyson Heppell, begin training with David Buttifant

Seven suspended Dons, as well as Dogs forward Stewart Crameri, were put through their paces by the pair at St Bernard’s College on Monday morning.

The eight players involved in Monday’s session were former captain Jobe Watson, as well as Dyson Heppell, Crameri, Cale Hooker, Tom Bellchambers, Brent Stanton, Heath Hocking and Ben Howlett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back