Current Heidelberg West Toddler's Death

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said I think arranged marriage is archaic. She moved away from her whole family in Fiji to marry someone who looks a heap older than her.

What's that got to do with her murdering her child? Does that mitigate her actions? Would it matter to you if he was younger?

Havent worked in the feild or been involved in this case, yet you can continue to make assumptions and generalisations based on nothing at all.

He's not basing it on nothing at all, he's basing it on his past dealings as was i, based on my dealings with Families SA in my professional capacity. Based on your comments our experiences appear to be greater than yours.

He's not basing it on nothing at all, he's basing it on his past dealings as i was based on my dealings with Families SA in my professional capacity. Based on your comments are experiences appear to be greater than yours.
:rolleyes:

Have you read anything I posted before jumping in to defend the poster?

And you're making a lot of assumptions about me

Errr yes i have.
Err and did you read about the generalisation and assumptions about the DHS organisation with zero working experiences of dealings with cases like these? Let alone having little information on what the DHS investigation into the mother covered? Beyond the poster's "experiences " of involvement with DHS workers?

Much easier to critize and label all the DHS workers incompetent I guess

Err and did you read about the generalisation and assumptions about the DHS organisation with zero working experiences of dealings with cases like these? Let alone having little information on what the DHS investigation into the mother covered? Beyond the poster's "experiences " of involvement with DHS workers?

Much easier to critize and label all the DHS workers incompetent I guess

Now you're making things up. No one labelled, well at least i didn't, DHS workers as incompetent. Systemic failures, poor procedures and failure to adhere to policy is rife in these organisations, that doesn't mean individuals are to blame but collectively i'm betting there were failures although they may have not directly lead to the childs death.
The fact that the child was residing at an address where two men who also reside there have been charged with violent crimes should be concerning to most rational people. That's a failure in my eyes right there.

Now you're making things up. No one labelled, well at least i didn't, DHS workers as incompetent

My response was aimed at the poster you're defending , not at you in particular .

As for the second part I agree it is concerning and I was unaware of that reported information.

My main gripe was with the previous poster labelling an entire organisation and its worker incompetent with little to none understanding of the department or what the job involves, let alone what DHS has done on this case or the investigation.

Basically just a generalisation based on whatever experiences the person has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context. He was murdered for no other reason than sick pleasure. Whether it was minutes or hours later is semantics.

Not really. The poster you quoted was specifically making a reference to how odd it was for an abduction to occur and then for the child to be killed pretty much immediately (i.e. within a couple of minutes: the imaginary abductor would have barely had time to slow down, considering the time and location).

It just made no sense a random person would abduct a child only to murder it straight away. When there is an abduction there is invariably more of a motive (however wicked) than just killing and dumping the body immediately

Venables and Thompson pretty clearly had more of a motive, which you've acknowledged (at the very least, torture, with other motivations being speculated on), than just killing and dumping.

Maybe so, but they should be followed up. DHS usually has a good handle on the environment and people children under their watch are exposed to. Reports suggest they were well aware of the men and the charges against them that the mother and daughter were exposed to.

I agree and I'm sure what actually happened here will be investigated pretty thoroughly.

Single mothers make up over 80% of single parent families. From what I have seen the female single parents were proportionately worse than the male single parents but I would not read too much into that gender wise.

I would put that down to family court bias with perhaps a higher standard being held to a male to be granted sole custody and more substandard female parents getting sole custody.

That's pretty far from my experience of the system. As far as I'm aware, sole custody (in Victoria, at least) just doesn't happen, except in the most exceptional cases.

i don't think anyone of sane mind would kill anyone in a non life threatening situation. All murderers have mental health issues of one sort or another. Doesn't make the victim any less dead
I respectfully disagree. There's a massive difference between murdering someone for financial gain or because they slept with your wife, as opposed to someone who had voices in their head or the intellect of a four year old.

There was an interview with a woman who killed her child in the Weekend Age a little while ago. She was completely delusional, hearing voices etc. and was convinced bikies were out to rape and kill her and her child. She thought she was doing the right thing by "saving" her child from abduction and a lifetime of abuse.

I'm not saying that's what happened here btw. She wouldn't be the first person to claim "mental health" issues as a cover for a heinous crime.

I imagine if it's a domestic situation with abuse/murder committed by a mother or father, then it would not be treated as seriously as a predatory crime from a stranger. It would vary case to case, but often it would be considered akin to a crime of passion. They are perhaps less of a risk as an opportunist and are sentenced accordingly.

Folks, keep on topic please and stick to the facts of the case rather than going off on tangents regarding statistics .

A recent article about the mother and mental illness:

Imagine the anguish of Sanaya's mother
Date
April 15, 2016 - 10:51AM

Jessica Redman

When I read on Saturday that a toddler was missing from a park in West Heidelberg, my heart skipped a beat. Heidelberg is my `hood. I go to playgrounds there. I shop at Northland. I have a two-year-old son. It was only too easy to imagine how it would feel if something like this should ever happen to my family.

All day I had a knot in my stomach that wouldn't go away. I couldn't stop thinking about that little girl. I couldn't stop thinking about how her mother must feel. I wondered, as did many of us, whether perhaps her father or uncle had snatched her as part of some family dispute – that the mother's description of the kidnapper as a bare-footed African man was just a ruse to protect that family member. I hoped, I prayed, this was the case, that the little girl was safe somewhere.

And then, in the early hours of Sunday morning, they found Sanaya's body in Darebin Creek. She was just there, right where the police had been searching. But it wasn't the police who found her, rather a family that had also known the desperate fear of losing a child – a family that couldn't rest, knowing a child might be alone out there. When I heard the news, I cried. I felt this tragedy like a blow to my body and it knocked the wind out of me.

Full Article: Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/imagi...yas-mother-20160414-go5zc1.html#ixzz45r19XeMB

For those who're interested, here's a particularly good article from yesterday's age

According to Oberman, there are multiple social stressors that impact on the lives of the mothers who commit infanticide. These women tend to be relatively young mothers, they are involved in unstable relationships and tend to be poor, isolated from family, church, neighbourhood or community support systems. In the United States the majority of women who purposefully killed their children were experiencing some form of extreme emotional distress at the time of their crimes

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/fa...nfanticide-20160414-go60oi.html#ixzz45rzBPYzC
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

A recent article about the mother and mental illness:

Imagine the anguish of Sanaya's mother
Date
April 15, 2016 - 10:51AM

Jessica Redman

When I read on Saturday that a toddler was missing from a park in West Heidelberg, my heart skipped a beat. Heidelberg is my `hood. I go to playgrounds there. I shop at Northland. I have a two-year-old son. It was only too easy to imagine how it would feel if something like this should ever happen to my family.

All day I had a knot in my stomach that wouldn't go away. I couldn't stop thinking about that little girl. I couldn't stop thinking about how her mother must feel. I wondered, as did many of us, whether perhaps her father or uncle had snatched her as part of some family dispute – that the mother's description of the kidnapper as a bare-footed African man was just a ruse to protect that family member. I hoped, I prayed, this was the case, that the little girl was safe somewhere.

And then, in the early hours of Sunday morning, they found Sanaya's body in Darebin Creek. She was just there, right where the police had been searching. But it wasn't the police who found her, rather a family that had also known the desperate fear of losing a child – a family that couldn't rest, knowing a child might be alone out there. When I heard the news, I cried. I felt this tragedy like a blow to my body and it knocked the wind out of me.

Full Article: Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/imagi...yas-mother-20160414-go5zc1.html#ixzz45r19XeMB
I cannot believe that any sane mother would kill her child in cold blood. We may never know what was going through Nikat's mind when she decided to put Sanaya in the pram and calmly walk her down to the creek. Maybe she didn't even know what she was doing.

No matter the answer, I can't feel anger towards this woman who allegedly murdered her child.
Jessica Redman is part of the problem. Pleasant surprise seeing the majority of comments seeing through the double standard though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back